Sign in to follow this  
gleninjersey

RECOMMEND A TURKEY CALL

Sorry, just had too!

I like and have used the Flextone Tramp Stamp Slate.  Sounds better to me, but hell what do I know.  I call them in while sitting on my parents back porch.  Never roam from there, just too convenient.  Next door neighbor took the season record one year right on the property line between us.  

I have all types because all produce different sounds. My Lynch box call is a favorite, so is a custom purple heart box call for a different sound. I also have a slate, some push-button box calls, and like mouth calls when hunter movement is to be limited. 

I have all types because all produce different sounds. My Lynch box call is a favorite, so is a custom purple heart box call for a different sound. I also have a slate, some push-button box calls, and like mouth calls when hunter movement is to be limited.

What do you recommend for beginner? New to hunting and first turkey hunt was two weeks ago. Consisted of me basically walking around farm property looking for turkey.

Also, not to diverge too far off topic, any good videos to watch for beginner turkey hunters you could recommned?

Not trying to call in evil freedom restricting demons! Just turkey.

Take another look at her pictures. See the wattle?

For the record, this is the furthest extent of my knowledge on hunting.

• Like 1

What do you recommend for beginner? New to hunting and first turkey hunt was two weeks ago. Consisted of me basically walking around farm property looking for turkey.

Also, not to diverge too far off topic, any good videos to watch for beginner turkey hunters you could recommned?

The easiest way to take a turkey is to find their haunts, pattern their movements, roost a bird at night, call him in to you the morning. Calling them away from a bunch of hens is the toughest. Setting yourself up in the right area to call from so the bird can walk to you means you'll have to know the terrain and what's between you and him. Movement and sound are the hunter's worst mistakes to make. 

As for videos, usually in the same aisle as the turkey calls you'll find some instructional videos. I think you can find stuff on YouTube to get an idea of what to do. Offerings in our shops in NJ may be limited so check some of the better online sources. 

Box & push button calls are the easiest to work with and master for good sound. Mouth calls (latex reed) are the toughest to master. 

You'll also want a "locator call" like an owl, crow, etc. as well: 

http://www.realtree.com/turkey-hunting/articles/10-best-locator-calls-for-turkeys

Go to this website or send away for this catalog and you'll see how many calls are out there. They have everything for the turkey hunter. 

https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/content/7-catalog-request

Take another look at her pictures. See the wattle?

For the record, this is the furthest extent of my knowledge on hunting.

I think her face and head turn red when she gets excited too.