RobCo

N.J. Senate OKs bill To roll back changes on concealed handguns

Sure he can do anything he wants in an executive action BUT the legislation gets the final say. They are not not passing any new legislation. They have the power in a concurrent resolution with a simple majority of both houses to effectively invalidate an executive action.

Article V Section IV of the NJ Constitution:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/lawsconstitution/constitution.asp

"   6.   No rule or regulation made by any department, officer, agency or authority of this state, except such as relates to the organization or internal management of the State government or a part thereof, shall take effect until it is filed either with the Secretary of State or in such other manner as may be provided by law.  The Legislature shall provide for the prompt publication of such rules and regulations.  The Legislature may review any rule or regulation to determine if the rule or regulation is consistent with the intent of the Legislature as expressed in the language of the statute which the rule or regulation is intended to implement.  Upon a finding that an existing or proposed rule or regulation is not consistent with legislative intent, the Legislature shall transmit this finding in the form of a concurrent resolution to the Governor and the head of the Executive Branch agency which promulgated, or plans to promulgate, the rule or regulation.  The agency shall have 30 days to amend or withdraw the existing or proposed rule or regulation.  If the agency does not amend or withdraw the existing or proposed rule or regulation, the Legislature may invalidate that rule or regulation, in whole or in part, or may prohibit that proposed rule or regulation, in whole or in part, from taking effect by a vote of a majority of the authorized membership of each House in favor of a concurrent resolution providing for invalidation or prohibition, as the case may be, of the rule or regulation.  This vote shall not take place until at least 20 calendar days after the placing on the desks of the members of each House of the Legislature in open meeting of the transcript of a public hearing held by either House on the invalidation or prohibition of the rule or regulation."

It is not so easy in the federal government. Congress can pass a new bill to invalidate an executive action but the President can veto it. Congress then has to have enough votes to override the veto. This allows the President to have much more power. The alternative is to go to court and Obama hasn't been so successful there.

That's exactly what I just said. He does not need legislative approval, but the legislature can stop a regulation.

BTW, I can't predict the future, but I doubt they will be successful.

Mikelets456, of course I realize that.  Read my last sentence again.  I was asking the question rhetorically.  

You are absolutely correct in your assessment.  I fear there is no hope for this state.  I will keep fighting while I'm here, but I believe the only way to restore one's 2A rights is to leave NJ.

I should have made my self clear and spoke in generalities and not directed at you---I do apologize. But I fear that , we the people, to one extent or another, feel our government is on our side. That's simply not true---they (most, not all) care about their gain and not ours. If they're ruthless enough to screw over friends, colleagues and family  what makes us think they give a crap about us---someone they don't even know. 

Somehow, we need to find a way to take our country back, state by state but more importantly we need to change the hearts and minds of the populace that government is NOT their god. Start local, get involved, this is so important. Talk to people while waiting in lines or when you're out. Take people to the range and reach out to your local communities helping and teaching that "we the people" are-and run the country and not the government. It's now or never--we are sinking fast and need to act in one accord to repair the ship and get it back in the right direction. 

• Like 1

Politicians are like union workers. Those within will do and say whatever they have to to keep what they have going. Those on the outside have a completely different viewpoint.............

PS: That sentence will make me some friends..................  ;)

Politicians are like union workers. Those within will do and say whatever they have to to keep what they have going. Those on the outside have a completely different viewpoint.............

PS: That sentence will make me some friends.................. ;)

Union leaders, yes. A bunch of fat cats making money off the members they're supposed to represent.

NJ already has the strictest requirements in the country and we have pretty much lost in NJ courts and through the Federal 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals. The ninth Supreme Court justice could be the ultimate decision maker and possibly our only hope of any real change. But this could take years or decades to decide. The only real solution is to just move.

• Like 3

NJ already has the strictest requirements in the country and we have pretty much lost in NJ courts and through the Federal 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals. The ninth Supreme Court justice could be the ultimate decision maker and possibly our only hope of any real change. But this could take years or decades to decide. The only real solution is to just move.

Sadly, moving is not an option for many of us due to a variety of reasons.  On the bright side, NJ gun ownership has risen dramatically over the past few years.  There are over 1.1 million gun owners in NJ, approx. 12.5% of the population of 9 million.  Many of our family and friends, who never even thought about owning a weapon, have become owners or applied to get their permit. As more  people in NJ realize weapons are not taboo, they'll (hopefully) create enough pressure to vote out these crazy politicians! This is especially true for the large minority communities in many sections of NJ (who most of these insane gun laws were written to target).  If those communities would realize the laws are basically written to keep guns OUT of their hands, the political pressure would be enormous and our laws would change very quickly!    

• Like 1

If CC had any balls he would sign an EO to strip all NJ legislators of their CCW and private security and have them re-apply with the same scrutiny as the rest of us. They would change their tune immediately.

Boy, where did I read that. ;)

If CC had any balls he would sign an EO to strip all NJ legislators of their CCW and private security and have them re-apply with the same scrutiny as the rest of us. They would change their tune immediately.   

Will never happen. They are part of the "club", we are all outsiders. They get a really nice pension based on the average of their highest paid three years, what a joke! The entire political system is rigged, you are either one of them or not............. Trump won't get in, or if he somehow does, he probably won't live long. "They" can't have him rock their gravy train...........

Anecdote to show how far behind we are. I was getting a coffee to go in a newly opened cafe the other day. Spotted a Russian broad I knew who was chatting with an "American" chick. They were talking crime and break-ins (rare in Upper Newtonia). The Russian mentioned that her husband bought a shotgun for home defense. The younger girl was aghast. "Oooh, does he have a license for that?"

And this is Sussex county, not Essex or Hudson. Gun culture has been bred out of our genes. So yeah, they're gonna pass laws and more laws but hopefully those mysterious 1.1 million of us will have the balls, like gun owners in NY and CT, simply not to comply.

Anecdote to show how far behind we are. I was getting a coffee to go in a newly opened cafe the other day. Spotted a Russian broad I knew who was chatting with an "American" chick. They were talking crime and break-ins (rare in Upper Newtonia). The Russian mentioned that her husband bought a shotgun for home defense. The younger girl was aghast. "Oooh, does he have a license for that?"

And this is Sussex county, not Essex or Hudson. Gun culture has been bred out of our genes. So yeah, they're gonna pass laws and more laws but hopefully those mysterious 1.1 million of us will have the balls, like gun owners in NY and CT, simply not to comply.

SHHHHHH!

I think its so much funnier that she implies that the woman's husband may have bought it off AmazonPrime Guns just with a click and don't forget free 2-day shipping.

Mike Kelly of the Bergen Record weighed in on this yesterday with an opinion piece praising the legislature for standing up to Christie to prevent him from making it easier for people to get concealed carry permits.  You might not want to waste your time reading the whole thing, but be sure to see the comments at the end.

http://www.northjersey.com/columnists/legislature-rebuffs-christie-over-easing-gun-purchase-rules-1.1587832

Mike Kelly of the Bergen Record weighed in on this yesterday with an opinion piece praising the legislature for standing up to Christie to prevent him from making it easier for people to get concealed carry permits.  You might not want to waste your time reading the whole thing, but be sure to see the comments at the end.

http://www.northjersey.com/columnists/legislature-rebuffs-christie-over-easing-gun-purchase-rules-1.1587832

People still read the Bergen Record?  LOL

I breezed through it and for the most part the writer is right for the fact that Christie has always been a disarm the citizenry person for the most part, he's done the bare minimum on standing up for whatever small amount of gun rights we have left in order to run as a Republican for governor and for President - I've heard him say enough times in speeches and interviews that he doesn't want people carrying guns - he only wanted to change 1 word of the justifiable need definition so that he could say he was "doing something" - changing a word in 8 years doesn't exactly give me hope we are "slowly turning things around here" - sometimes you just gotta grab the bull by its balls and hope you'll have your head left after it.  He doesn't have much time left, he should turn the fire up, if thats really what he believes now, IMO

My .02...

I gave up the Record yrs ago, got to be too much of a libtards cookbook but I do miss the sports section.

Most of the good sports writers have left the sinking ship.

I gave up the Record yrs ago, got to be too much of a libtards cookbook but I do miss the sports section.

It's only the sports and the puzzles that keep me getting that wretched rag.  And even at that, I only get it Thursday through Sunday.

Ahh...the Bergen Record, serving Bergen County. The only place in NJ where when you ask someone where they live, they say "Bergen County" instead of the actual town. My usual response is "oh, Hackensack?"

That usually gets them steamed.

I almost spit my coffee at this because its true -I went to Ramapo - and since you're from Morristown you'd appreciate this - I told some broad at a party one time who I was hitting on that I was doing a big construction job in Morristown that weekend, and she goes "Where is that?  Is it off Route 17?"

I gave up on trying to bang her and moved onto the next one.