leahcim

Any Subaru owners?

I need to buy a new car and the Subaru Outback is coming up pretty high on my list.

Its excellent crash test ratings and solid reviews are the largest factor.  Reliability seems right up there close to Toyota and Honda, plus the collision avoidance and tech-based safety package looks pretty good.

I have never owned a Subaru before--Anyone have good or bad experiences with the brand?

Other contenders are Honda/Toyota CUV/SUV (CRV/RAV, Pilot/Highlander)--the larger (Pilot/Highlander) SUV was my original plan, but looking at the Outback I realize it is big enough, great safety ratings, and better ownership costs (especially considering fuel).

I drove the Outback today and loved it.  Just trying to come up with a reason not to buy it.

Thanks!

No real personal experience except back in 96 when I drove my Mom's Legacy for a few weeks while waiting for my car to be fixed around the time I graduated H.S. That being said, she's owned a Subaru Legacy from '95 and every single new car she's bought since has been a Subaru Legacy....says something about the brand at least. 

I'm a first-time Outback owner; got my 2016 last November.   I've been very happy with it.   I commute 90 miles a day, so liked it's reputation as a car that will last.    I'm not getting the 33 mpg highway that was advertised, but I'm averaging 27, maybe 28 mpg; commute is about 80% highway, so being a bit below 33 is to be expected.

Car is comfortable, rides well, looks good in my opinion, I love how the roof rack crossbars fold into the side rails when not in use to improve mileage and reduce wind noise.  I'm still finding other nice design surprises as well.

One thing I didn't realize (hadn't done quite enough homework, I guess) is that because the drive train is full-time all wheel drive, the tires have to match very closely.   Subaru insists on rotating them at every oil change.  I punctured a tire in a spot that couldn't be patched when the car was less than two weeks old.  Not the car's fault--it was just a bit of bad luck--and I was pissed off that I had to buy a new tire to replace a new tire.  Then it was explained to me that if the tires weren't all so new, I'd have had to replace all four, which is the usual scenario when a tire has to be replaced on a Subaru.    So someday, that will probably suck...but otherwise I have no complaints.  

most of my customers with subarus love them. got a guy with an 05 legacy gt.......thing is stupid fast, good mileage, and comin' up on 160k. he's startingh to have some oil consumption issues though.

overall, if you want awd, it's hard to beat subaru for the price.

Two years ago I inherited a lightly used 2008 Legacy from a little old jewish man (father-in-law) who never drove it to synagogue once. .  I love it.  Impressed by the handling, drives like it's on a rail.  A bit under powered but still peppy.  What really impressed me is how it handles in the snow.  while all kinds of 4x4s were stuck in the snow after the blizzard, I never once even slipped, much less got stuck.  Amazing AWD for a low to the ground car.  The only bad thing I have to say about it is the windows dont seal well and I get a lot of noise from that.

I seem to have the one lemon with subaru. Nothing but issues with a 2014 forester. Glad it's a lease and didn't buy it. Oil consumption issues which they claim is normal, electronic issues, and a trans issue shortly after getting it. Everyone I know loves them and has no problems but me. Prob my bad luck.

We have a 2010 Forester 2.5 with the Sport Shift.  The thing is a tank in the snow.  Goes anywhere!  My original tires lasted past 80K, w/o any sign of uneven wear.  Currently have about 95K on her now and feel like it's just "broken-in".  No CVT and NO oil consumption issues.  The thing turns on a dime.  Would buy another one in a heartbeat!  If you see a red one with an Eagle Scout bumper sticker, THAT'S ME, lol!

My first car was a 94ish Subaru Legacy. My God I beat the ever loving shit out if it. Seized an engine, killed the tranny (in car terms of course) got all 4 wheels off the ground at one point doing a jump. Ah fun times. Thing was a tank.

There is a strong possibility my next car will be another legacy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In 2006 I got clipped on the parkway while driving my Impreza, went airborne, landed hard on the grass median below me, and thanked god I had AWD. Destroyed the suspension, but I was able to punch the gas and keep it off the northbound side.

Went from there to a WRX, then back to an Impreza, and now I have a Crosstrek. Whenever I get a loaner it's an Outback. It rides smoother than my Crosstrek and has a lot more room. In retrospect I should have got the Outback. Oil consumption was an issue across several models from 2012-2014. They have to replace the engine.

2017 Outback is getting two new trims IIRC. You can get the 6 cylinder 3.6 litre 260ish HP engine if you feel the 4 cylinder is underpowered.

Do they make the legacy with a turbo?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They used to make a 2.5GT, which had a turbo 4. I believe they replaced it with the 6 cylinder, which is the Legacy 3.6R model. The base model has a 2.5 litre 4 cylinder.

I bought a Forester last year and drove most of their cars at the time.

I liked the practicality of the Outback, but I felt that with the 2.5 engine it was a bit underpowered. The same engine in the lighter forester is still slightly underpowered but ok, in the Outlook it felt a bit underwhelming. Stepping up to the 3.6 is both more money upfront and more money later.  For me, the Outback I would have bought would have been like 7k more then the Forester I found satisfactory.

Some of the 2.5 engines were eating a LOT of oil and had engines replaced, my understanding is that it is no longer an issue. The current engine bays are really very nice, easy to get to everything except spark plugs.

On the down side, the current factory tires on most Subaru's are a sad choice made with efficiency in mind. Also the paint is thin and easy to scratch and a lot of body panels are also very thin. In one year I've gained like 3-4 door dings from people who can't park, but I work on a collage campus so there is that factor as well. 

I need to buy a new car and the Subaru Outback is coming up pretty high on my list.

Its excellent crash test ratings and solid reviews are the largest factor.  Reliability seems right up there close to Toyota and Honda, plus the collision avoidance and tech-based safety package looks pretty good.

I have never owned a Subaru before--Anyone have good or bad experiences with the brand?

Other contenders are Honda/Toyota CUV/SUV (CRV/RAV, Pilot/Highlander)--the larger (Pilot/Highlander) SUV was my original plan, but looking at the Outback I realize it is big enough, great safety ratings, and better ownership costs (especially considering fuel).

I drove the Outback today and loved it.  Just trying to come up with a reason not to buy it.

Thanks!

I've owned 2 Subarus in my life.  Both were great cars and while I recently bought a new car, my choices were down to either Subaru or the Acura, and I ended up buying the Acura.  

One of the things I really wanted was Eyesight on the Subaru.  The problem I had was that the HP and MPG weren't where I wanted on the Subarus.   My Acura puts out more HP(290) and gets 3-4 more MPH with a better interior and ride.   That said, it was more expensive but not by a huge number.

Every time I car shop, I'll definitely look at Subaru and a good set of all season tires is enough for the winter(Continental Extreme Contact DWS).   I had to get snows for my FWD Acura but I live up in the hills.

My WRX was very reliable and I ran it 127,000 miles before I sold it. It had no major mechanical issues and would have run another 150k easily.

Someone upthread mentioned they are hard to work on?  I have worked on a LOT of cars in my life.  Hondas are easier than Subarus, but everything is possible on a Subaru.  Try working on an Audi or VW if you want hard to work on.

My mother works for the call center for a larger dealership service department... which handles Chevrolet, Subaru, and a few others. When I was looking at a new car, she was big on me looking at Subaru (majority of the calls for them are maintenance, not major repairs). Both my parents worked for GM, so I've always been a Chevy guy.

Test driving one, it was very impressive. You'll definitely need to get into one before you can make a decision. If I was going to pick a car (considered, but preferred buying a new truck), would have been one.

She got a salesman for me who she knew pretty well. It is a very well designed car. Brake systems are crossed, so if one set went out, you'd still have one front, one back, and it would be one on each side. Look under the hood, you'll see a lot of marks for inspectors... which you don't see on GM vehicles. Resale value does hold up pretty well.

The bad, head gaskets do go in higher mileage, but in the 100,000 to 150,000 range... if it does occur (he told me to plan on it, so if it didn't, it would be better than if it did). I had an Impala that needed to do them twice in the 185,000 miles I had the car. Also, as mentioned before, AWD is bad on tires. I mentioned I usually get 60,000 on a good set, and he said it would probably go into the 30,000 to 45,000 range (they handle so well, that I'd probably be at the lower end of that spectrum). Unless you get lucky and find one on the lot, expect to wait a little bit to get one you'd want/or order one.

As mentioned, I didn't get one... but my mother did right after I was looking. She got a Legacy Limited, which is built on a very similar platform as the Outback. When I have to get an oil change, I usually have her take it to work, so she gives me her car to use. Very roomy, but it is a little lower powered than what I'd want (2.5i, which is fine for her). I also feel it takes a little bit longer to warm up, and is a little rougher if you run it before it gets up to temperature.

In regards to pricing, it is a little more than a similar GM car. I priced out a Cruz loaded about what an Impreza was at. My father gets me GM employee pricing, and with my mother working there, she got me similar pricing through the dealership. It was about $2,000 more... but remember that is FWD verses AWD. I feel they are priced pretty well.

Good luck with your decision.

A note about being rougher before it warms up, that is actually on purpose. To get their PZEV ratings (which in NJ also get you a very long warranty on emissions components 15/150,000 I think) they run the engine harder and richer at warm up to induce some heat in the catalytic converter so it operates at peak performance. 

Yes, head gasket may go at some point, a lot of past subaru engines did, not sure the current generation has been around long enough to tell. On the other hand for every "possibly" head gasket change you are skipping 2 timing belt changes, but a lot more cars have chains now so not so uncommon anymore. 

I have an 09 legacy 3.0R and love it more than any other car I've had.  Very smooth, quick, and hasn't had any major issues.  Since it's a 6 cylinder it eats gas pretty good, but I don't drive a lot so it works out well.

Subaru's are hard to beat if you want AWD

Every time it snowed, I would borrow my Moms '98 Outback.  When I lost the bmw to hurricane irene flood, I figured just get my own Subaru.  Have a 2008 Legacy, recently hit 100k, nothing but regular maintenance, zero issues.  Looking to get 200k out of it before grabbing another Suby.  Snow or rain makes no difference, these things are tanks.  My only compliant is the 4 cyl 2.5 is weak, great gas mileage and reliability, but no balls.  Next one will be a 6 or a turbo. 

Had an 07 Legacy, and put over 100k on it. That was a great car, great in the snow, and I was getting around 32mpg driving to Linden five days a week 120 miles round trip. I got a truck after the Legacy, current vehicle, but have a Forester coming in to the dealership in a couple of weeks. I had to wait for a black one to come in. Some of their color choices aren't the best, and I wasn't going to settle for a color I didn't like.

My 2004 WRX blew a rod bearing at 105k, just outside my 100k extended warranty. Subaru covered the parts, so at least I wasn't totally screwed. I went to a 2012 Impreza 2.0 and loved the car, but it was now underpowered since they made it with the 2.0 (148hp) instead of the 2.5 (170 hp). Plus side was I got better mileage. Unfortunately it ate oil and required 0W20 full synthetic, which became an $80 oil change every 3500 miles.

My 2004 WRX blew a rod bearing at 105k, just outside my 100k extended warranty. Subaru covered the parts, so at least I wasn't totally screwed. I went to a 2012 Impreza 2.0 and loved the car, but it was now underpowered since they made it with the 2.0 (148hp) instead of the 2.5 (170 hp). Plus side was I got better mileage. Unfortunately it ate oil and required 0W20 full synthetic, which became an $80 oil change every 3500 miles.

My wife's Honda uses 0w-20 and full synthetic is only about 7 bucks a quart.  I guess you took it somewhere?    I bought an Aluminum skid plate for my WRX with holes for the plug and filter, so I just drove it up the ramp, drain, swap filter, fill and go.  15 minutes tops.

I drive 80 miles daily and my issue was I couldn't stand to drive something with under 200hp but I still wanted decent gas mileage.  My Acura TLX V6 gets 30mpg combined and has 290hp, due primarily to direct injection and variable cylinder management.    Full highway, driving out to a range in PA for example, I get 35mpg.  Again, I liked my Subarus, the mileage for the available HP was lacking.

I seem to have the one lemon with subaru. Nothing but issues with a 2014 forester. Glad it's a lease and didn't buy it. Oil consumption issues which they claim is normal, electronic issues, and a trans issue shortly after getting it. Everyone I know loves them and has no problems but me. Prob my bad luck.

My daughter has a 2014 with no issues so far. Go figure, right?

Subaru Brat in the 80's, loved it. 2009 Forester now, had it 3 years, bought used, it's been nothing but reliable.

My son is 6'3", so we had to find one without the sun/moon roof, to get him head clearance that he was comfortable with, dunno if that's a factor for you.

2 downsides so far, both minimal, but I'm picky. It wants Subaru coolant, (pricey) and nowhere could I find the data to tell me what would be a suitable equivalent.

All wheel all the time drive system does equate to slightly lower gas mileage. Not a deal breaker, but with it had been available with the option to engage or not. Let's face it, the extra weight and friction of the extra mechanical does make a difference.  

Only came with donut spare, and the space won't allow for a full size one under the floor where it's stored.

Safety features make the wife very happy, and it's plenty peppy, even if you need to HURRY onto a busy Route 22 from a tight parking lot exit.

Wife has a 2010 Toyota Rav 4, also been bulletproof. Also used, had it 2 1/2 years. 

Same gas issue, and rear vision is a bit restricted, but not terrible. We don't have the newfangled camera options.

Just add my info to the mix, it's hard to go wrong with these fine cars. Me, I like the Subaru better of the 2. Better looking, too, in my opinion......

I have a 2013 BRZ which has been lots of fun while still drivable on a daily basis. I'll likely need to trade it since we have our 2nd child on the way, but have been strongly considering another Subuaru to replace it. I'm leaning toward the WRX with a 6 speed since it seems to hit all the criteria of useful, reliable and fun.

Useful is kinda a toss up with the WRX especially the STI, in terms of being a family car.

I wouldn't mind using a Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ for a Daily Driver to work... lol.

Sadly, my "daily driver" is the bus to Manhattan.

We have a Wrangler Unlimited for more practical needs (4x4, 6 speed, tow package) so the BRZ might stay for a while longer. A WRX is a bit of a stop-gap that could actually fit enough people/stuff but still be engaging to drive. I wouldn't waste the $$$$ on the STI since it is not an around-town car.

In short, there seems to be a Subaru to fit almost every driver.