leahcim

Any Subaru owners?

Almost - we're looking for an 7/8 passenger SUV - the Outback is too small.

Do you have quadruplets on the way???

STI is not a comfortable ride. 2017 Impreza is supposed to have a new platform for a quieter interior and smoother ride. I'm waiting for the 2018 WRX to be announced before I make a change.

*Subaru has previousky stated that the 2017 WRX will be based on the 2016 Impreza platform.

Do you have quadruplets on the way???

STI is not a comfortable ride. 2017 Impreza is supposed to have a new platform for a quieter interior and smoother ride. I'm waiting for the 2018 WRX to be announced before I make a change.

Nah just a large extended family

• Like 1

Test driving one, it was very impressive. You'll definitely need to get into one before you can make a decision. If I was going to pick a car (considered, but preferred buying a new truck), would have been one.

The bad, head gaskets do go in higher mileage, but in the 100,000 to 150,000 range... if it does occur (he told me to plan on it, so if it didn't, it would be better than if it did). I had an Impala that needed to do them twice in the 185,000 miles I had the car. Also, as mentioned before, AWD is bad on tires. I mentioned I usually get 60,000 on a good set, and he said it would probably go into the 30,000 to 45,000 range (they handle so well, that I'd probably be at the lower end of that spectrum). Unless you get lucky and find one on the lot, expect to wait a little bit to get one you'd want/or order one.

As mentioned, I didn't get one... but my mother did right after I was looking. She got a Legacy Limited, which is built on a very similar platform as the Outback. When I have to get an oil change, I usually have her take it to work, so she gives me her car to use. Very roomy, but it is a little lower powered than what I'd want (2.5i, which is fine for her). I also feel it takes a little bit longer to warm up, and is a little rougher if you run it before it gets up to temperature.

In regards to pricing, it is a little more than a similar GM car. I priced out a Cruz loaded about what an Impreza was at. My father gets me GM employee pricing, and with my mother working there, she got me similar pricing through the dealership. It was about $2,000 more... but remember that is FWD verses AWD. I feel they are priced pretty well.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for all the information--everyone.  Amazing the amount of expertise available on this forum!

We drove the Outback the other day and liked it--Wife likes the ride, which is most important.

I am leaning toward the 3.6.  MPG is not a major consideration--I drive about 20-30 miles/day and my 2009 car had less than 50K miles.  It will probably take me 20 years to get 150K miles.

Since the wife liked it I may just go forward without even test driving anything else.  I just need to figure out the best option for getting the best deal now.

Thanks for all the information--everyone.  Amazing the amount of expertise available on this forum!

We drove the Outback the other day and liked it--Wife likes the ride, which is most important.

I am leaning toward the 3.6.  MPG is not a major consideration--I drive about 20-30 miles/day and my 2009 car had less than 50K miles.  It will probably take me 20 years to get 150K miles.

Since the wife liked it I may just go forward without even test driving anything else.  I just need to figure out the best option for getting the best deal now.

When I am ready to buy new, I get a report from Consumer Reports magazine on the dealer cost for the car. For about 10 bucks they'll send you a cost sheet showing the numbers the dealers pay, including the options, rebates, and and manufacturers give backs on any make and model. If you KNOW what the dealer actually pays, and work by going up from there to allow the dealer a half decent profit, you are more likely to get the best rate for yourself, rather than try ti work down from the sticker or other offered pricing.   

BTW, the folks at CR also give the Outback wonderful ratings. For new OR used.  9 times out of 10 they are spot on, I have checked them out for most major purchases. YMMV, of course.

Good luck with it!!

My daughter has a 2014 with no issues so far. Go figure, right?

yea i have a friend that has a 14 crosstrek and wife has a 2013 legacy, a few friends with impreza's everyone has no problems. But me. oil issue is a known issue but getting a dealer to make good and fix it is the hard part. They refuse to do work claiming burning 1 qt per 1200 miles is normal. since its a lease due back in September im not gunna fight or waste my time trying to get it fixed anymore. I tried a few times with no luck did oil consumption test ect. The trans issue was something minor they fixed. the electric issue is that the power port in the dash has some issues, was burning out car chargers one after the next. It seems to put too much power out, i also used a power inverter after a few broken chargers no more than 3 minutes after i plugged the inverter in it started smoking and i picked it up there was a fire starting in the inverter. the dealer claimed it is not a power port but a cigarette lighter and to not use as a power port. the manual states power port and the is no cigarette lighter with the car. after talking to corporate they said they have never had this issue before and basically gave me a run around that they all have suburus in her office and nobody has that issue so i must be doing something wrong.  everyone loves the cars but this 1 lemon i guess lost my trust with them. come september i wont even be test driving a new subaru.

yea i have a friend that has a 14 crosstrek and wife has a 2013 legacy, a few friends with impreza's everyone has no problems. But me. oil issue is a known issue but getting a dealer to make good and fix it is the hard part. They refuse to do work claiming burning 1 qt per 1200 miles is normal. since its a lease due back in September im not gunna fight or waste my time trying to get it fixed anymore. I tried a few times with no luck did oil consumption test ect. The trans issue was something minor they fixed. the electric issue is that the power port in the dash has some issues, was burning out car chargers one after the next. It seems to put too much power out, i also used a power inverter after a few broken chargers no more than 3 minutes after i plugged the inverter in it started smoking and i picked it up there was a fire starting in the inverter. the dealer claimed it is not a power port but a cigarette lighter and to not use as a power port. the manual states power port and the is no cigarette lighter with the car. after talking to corporate they said they have never had this issue before and basically gave me a run around that they all have suburus in her office and nobody has that issue so i must be doing something wrong.  everyone loves the cars but this 1 lemon i guess lost my trust with them. come september i wont even be test driving a new subaru.

Find a new dealer...

leeashcim,

Just a quick note, radio TODAY mentioned a problem with steering column on 2016-17 Outbacks, said don't drive til' you check with dealer.

I'd investigate it a little before "pulling the trigger" on your purchase.

Didn't know if you had heard it, is all.

Whoa...this sent me running to the manufacturers website! I ran my vin number and I'm not affected. The cars with the bad parts were built between Feb 29 and May 3.

Thanks for the heads-up

Whoa...this sent me running to the manufacturers website! I ran my vin number and I'm not affected. The cars with the bad parts were built between Feb 29 and May 3.

Thanks for the heads-up

Hey, if it helps anyone, then my poor typing skills didn't go to waste!

leeashcim,

Just a quick note, radio TODAY mentioned a problem with steering column on 2016-17 Outbacks, said don't drive til' you check with dealer.

I'd investigate it a little before "pulling the trigger" on your purchase.

Didn't know if you had heard it, is all.

Thanks.  I bought the Outback Limited 2.5 and I knew about this recall, so I made sure to ask and check.  Of course they are not going to sell a car that has not been fixed.  So far I love the car.  Especially the hi-tech safety and convenience features (Eyesight) that keep you in the lane and maintain following speed under adaptive cruise.  But, like buying computers or phones, I wish I could have waited 5-10 years to get a fully autonomous car...

I used the CR reviews and Edmunds in making the decision.  My highest priority is safety, and the Outback gets 5* on every NHTSA crash test and Good across the board from IIHS plus the Eyesight collision warning/avoidance system was ranked near the top by IIHS.  As far as my research goes, only the Volvo XC90 would have been better, but it was substantially more cash (and I hate spending so much on a depreciating asset).  CR recommended using Truecar for pricing.  I found that Truecar is not exactly as accurate as CR would have you believe.  But, knowing this, it can help you ballpark a decent price.  My final price came in about $1200 under their "invoice" price and about $800 under the "Truecar" price.  I passed on the extended warranty and had to make them take off the $300 etching fee that they tried to sneak into the contract.  I guess that is the new undercoating.  but they did not give me any pushback on that.

I also like a lot of the extras that are included with the Subaru and/or Limited trim level, like the roof rack, all-weather mats and other protective items.  Nicer faux-wood accents, rear heated seats and rear environmental controls, etc. 

I drove a Rav4 and was pretty unimpressed with that.  The ride and the interior seemed on the cheap side, like Toyota has tried to cut costs on a lot of the interior appointments.  But I probably would say the same thing about the Subaru Forester--which is the appropriate comparison to the Outback.  Toyota used to have a Venza, but that was discontinued and they really do not have anything equivalent to the Outback (and of course Subaru does not have a 3-row SUV either).

Thanks for all the input on this!

• Like 1

It is odd because Subaru admitted they had a problem and had being paying for engine replacements, so why the heck would the dealership not want to do the warranty work?

Agreed. But again not my problem it's due back in September and I'm not gunna keep fighting for it. Got a letter about a class action settlement that they will cover any work done because of it and cost of oil but must have receipts ect.

Thanks.  I bought the Outback Limited 2.5 and I knew about this recall, so I made sure to ask and check.  Of course they are not going to sell a car that has not been fixed.  So far I love the car.  Especially the hi-tech safety and convenience features (Eyesight) that keep you in the lane and maintain following speed under adaptive cruise.  But, like buying computers or phones, I wish I could have waited 5-10 years to get a fully autonomous car...

I used the CR reviews and Edmunds in making the decision.  My highest priority is safety, and the Outback gets 5* on every NHTSA crash test and Good across the board from IIHS plus the Eyesight collision warning/avoidance system was ranked near the top by IIHS.  As far as my research goes, only the Volvo XC90 would have been better, but it was substantially more cash (and I hate spending so much on a depreciating asset).  CR recommended using Truecar for pricing.  I found that Truecar is not exactly as accurate as CR would have you believe.  But, knowing this, it can help you ballpark a decent price.  My final price came in about $1200 under their "invoice" price and about $800 under the "Truecar" price.  I passed on the extended warranty and had to make them take off the $300 etching fee that they tried to sneak into the contract.  I guess that is the new undercoating.  but they did not give me any pushback on that.

I also like a lot of the extras that are included with the Subaru and/or Limited trim level, like the roof rack, all-weather mats and other protective items.  Nicer faux-wood accents, rear heated seats and rear environmental controls, etc. 

I drove a Rav4 and was pretty unimpressed with that.  The ride and the interior seemed on the cheap side, like Toyota has tried to cut costs on a lot of the interior appointments.  But I probably would say the same thing about the Subaru Forester--which is the appropriate comparison to the Outback.  Toyota used to have a Venza, but that was discontinued and they really do not have anything equivalent to the Outback (and of course Subaru does not have a 3-row SUV either).

Thanks for all the input on this!

My final price came in about $1200 under their "invoice" price and about $800 under the "Truecar" price.  I passed on the extended warranty and had to make them take off the $300 etching fee that they tried to sneak into the contract.  I guess that is the new undercoating.  but they did not give me any pushback on that.

You sound like me! I fight like hell against all the extras they try to tack on.  

I think of the time spent(wasted?) haggling as my pay per hour for my due diligence, every 200 or 300 bucks I get off the price is worth an hour to me, but I try for far more.

I like Volvo for the safety, but I know a couple of owners who have been multiple buyers of them, and they have a lot of repair issues, mostly electrical.

Congrats and well wishes on your buy, I hope you get many happy Ks out of it.

Thanks for the heads-up

do you have the tie rod issue? They want to seal mine against future adjustability, I hate the idea.

We're on our third Subaru, the last two were Outbacks (2010 and 2016). My son has the 2010 and my wife has the 2016. Can't beat them for comfort and space and ours have been ridiculously reliable. Only thing I didn't like in the 2010 was the safety-nazi design of the Nav/Infotainment system. Couldn't do a thing with the bluetooth or nav if the car was in motion (even the passenger). That was fixed by 2016. The 2016 model is very nice and though I prefer German cars, I have to admit the Outback is a great value. 

I'm on my 7th Subaru.  Started with a 86 GL, 93 Legacy, 97 Legacy, 2003 Outback wagon, 2003 Legacy GT and 2013 Impreza.  I had a Mazda and Toyota thrown in the mix, but I'm a Subaru guy.  Up until my 2013, maintenance was a piece of cake.  Easy to maintain and ran like a champ.  With the exception of the outback, which we traded in for a Honda Odyssey for my wife, the Subaru's all ran 200K+.  Also, between the first and most recent, all of the Subarus were bought used with 100K miles on them already.  The only bummer, as stated earlier, is if you blow a tire and the set has excessive wear, you'll need to replace them all.  That's what you get for full time AWD, but my Impreza gets 32+ MPG mixed in warm months and gose down to about 27 MPG in the cold months.  My next Suby will be an STi....  :)