Sign in to follow this  
mbeattie

Storage while moving

I am moving. The closing date on my purchase got moved so now there are a few days between when I sell my house and when I close months new one. How can I legally store my firearms while I am technically homeless?

I am going to be living with my in laws for the time in between and also have a storage unit I could put stuff at. Should I contact a range/FFL and see if they have storage space?

1) https://firearmssupport.com/  these guys

2) stick 'em all in a big chest with trigger locks in them and lock the chest, and tell everyone not to touch it.  also pay rent to your inlaws and draw up a short term rental agreement.

3) do the above and don't say shit to anyone about it.

I personally wouldn't leave them in a public storage place.  Murphy's Law says that's when yours gets broken into.   Just sayin'.

You should be able to have the in laws write up a rental contract (or google one online) and then that address becomes your home? Correct me if i'm wrong. I Don't think its necessary to pay an FFL to store them.

^^he beat me to it. You can get a heavy duty plastic tool box on wheels (Husky 38" I think) like what i have in my truck for like 60$ and throw a lock on that. Put it in the in laws garage or wherever and you'll be good to go.

I don't see a need for a rental contract. If your parents or in-laws own the house you're living in and let you live there rent free why a rental contract? You sold your old house and own no home and living at your in laws. Thats where you live. If you're staying there over 30 days get the address on your drivers license changed. I think you can do that online now.

I think there's way too much paranoia about your residence for firearms purposes. I wouldn't leave your guns in a storage unit.

• Like 2

I think the rental contract is a 'better safe than sorry, to be 100% certain you are in Compliance with NJ's BS Law's'. I'm going to write one up and have my mother sign it so that i can keep firearms with me when i am visiting there, to be honest.
If i am carrying in the backyard and the PoPo Shows up because my liberal nosy ass neighbors peek over the fence, i'd rather have the piece of paper showing that i am in fact a resident there even though my primary residence is in Woodbridge.

I am moving. The closing date on my purchase got moved so now there are a few days between when I sell my house and when I close months new one. How can I legally store my firearms while I am technically homeless?

I am going to be living with my in laws for the time in between and also have a storage unit I could put stuff at. Should I contact a range/FFL and see if they have storage space?

You are not homeless. You are going to live with your inlaws. Therefore that's your residency. Your residency is an exempt place. What's so complicated about it?

• Like 4

Just to be safe.... Rent agreement and change of address on permit... But chances are by the time the change of address comes thru youll be living in the new home, And you'll be forced to start that nightmare again.

If you're staying at your in laws for a couple of months you need to change your address on your drivers license. There's the proof of residency you're seeking. No need for a phony baloney rental contract from your in laws.

• Like 1

I don't see a need for a rental contract. If your parents or in-laws own the house you're living in and let you live there rent free why a rental contract? You sold your old house and own no home and living at your in laws. Thats where you live. If you're staying there over 30 days get the address on your drivers license changed. I think you can do that online now.

I think there's way too much paranoia about your residence for firearms purposes. I wouldn't leave your guns in a storage unit.

Doesn't matter if you have a contract or not. You can only bring a handgun between dwellings you posses except when moving (Brian Aitken). Unless you make a trip to the range in between, I guess. I assume you have FID so none of this would matter for long arms.

Doesn't matter if you have a contract or not. You can only bring a handgun between dwellings you posses when moving (Brian Aitken). Unless you make a trip to the range in between, I guess. I assume you have FID so none of this would matter for long arms.

Not so. 2C39-6e lists the following regarding moving, "...residence and another when moving". Doesn't say anything about possessing. It says residence, where you live. If you live at your mother's, brother's, girlfriend's or anyone else's house they own that's your residence.

You don't have to own your residence. If your son is moving out of your house (their residence they don't own) to his girlfriend's house (another residence they don't own) that's legal. No trips to range needed.

You are confusing other parts of the same paragraph which state you can keep and carry firearms at your place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed. They also use the word dwelling in the exemptions.

Aitken had already established a residence. His room mate testified he wanted the guns out of the apartment because he was having a party. Somewhere along the line Aitken said he was moving. Which is true?

The only thing Aitken is a good example of is not to say something stupid to your mother that would worry her so she'd call the police.