I saw that Ruger is offering the ranch rifle in stainless with a 16.12" barrel with a plain muzzle/no threads. If you toss the mags that come with this model it has no evil features .Are there any shops in NJ offering these without the magazines? 

The Ranch 14s are fine, they have no pistol grip.   You can find them in NJ, mostly with 5 rounders, but other compliants sizes are a available.  

If you are looking to buy one there are plenty of FFLs on here and last I saw Ottomanelli's in Woodland Park had one in 5.56.  They are also available in 300 blackout and 7.62x39.  They were available in 6.8 but have been discontinued.  If you like 6.8 you can use the 7.62x39 and rebarrel it.  Not really worth doing that but a good standard ranch 14 or ranch 30 aren't too hard to find.

The 5820 model has a 16.12" plain barrel . The others except the tactical models are 18.5" . Looking to get as compact as possible without any "evil" features this model is 34.25" OAL. The 5820 is a new model and the only issue is the included mags. Need one with no mags or 5 rounders.

Have whoever sells it to you keep the mags or have it shipped to an FFL that can permanently block them. 16" barrel is a NFA requirement, not a NJ requirement. Anything less than 16" is a short barreled rifle requiring a tax stamp, which you can't do in NJ anyway.

No reason there would be any issue in NJ outside of the magazines.

If you're paying a premium price for this model I'd pass on it and get a standard model. You won't notice a 2" shorter barrel unless you're trying to fit it in a specific size box.

If you're paying a premium price for this model I'd pass on it and get a standard model. You won't notice a 2" shorter barrel unless you're trying to fit it in a specific size box.

Agreed
  • Like 1

Other then it being a little louder with the shorter barrel

That may be but I think you'd need measuring instruments to tell the difference. Either would be loud.

It may be an entire decibel, maybe.