Sign in to follow this  
medved11

Spikes DynaComp - Definitely Not a Flash Hider

I took my new AR build to the range this weekend to do a quick function check.

Everything worked perfectly - the one thing that I wasn't expecting was the the muzzle flash from the Spikes Dynacomp.

The "funny" thing is that I've got the same comp on my other build but never shot it indoors. I had no idea that the comp produced such an intense flash.

I was using is 55g .223 from Freedom Munitions

D44FBDE4-3898-42E6-B122-27E4F1C9B2E5_zps

FB3B268B-8069-4A67-8A44-B5E2A2F1A334_zps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decrease flash from what? A bare muzzle, an a2, any other break/comp? It isn't defined anywhere

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Decreased flash from a bare muzzle... that would be the benchmark.... The flash comparison from a barrel with nothing vs. a barrel attachment.. not sure why it would have to be defined anywhere.

. That depends. Does it pass or fail the pinky test

Irrelevant.

That's the point. It's all irrelevant. Anything short of a target crown or a thread protector is undefined in nj law

Except why would the law define rudimentary principles?

A muzzle device is used to alter the characteristics of the barrel, more specifically the gases leaving the barrel. It's a very basic concept of how does the barrel perform with nothing, in comparison to the muzzle device. If flash is decreased, congrats its illegal. Why would you do a benchmark comparison to anything else?

What length barrel?  I have a Dynacomp on my 14.5" and it doesn't seem too flashy...  Could be the ammo too.  

I think that the ammo definitely played a part in the intensity of the flash.

I tried the surplus Federal and IMI 5.56 rounds last night and, while there was definitely visible muzzle flash, it was nowhere near as intense as it was with the Freedom Muntions .223 rounds 

Except why would the law define rudimentary principles?

A muzzle device is used to alter the characteristics of the barrel, more specifically the gases leaving the barrel. It's a very basic concept of how does the barrel perform with nothing, in comparison to the muzzle device. If flash is decreased, congrats its illegal. Why would you do a benchmark comparison to anything else?

That would make just about every muzzle device illegal

pinky test??

It was a joke but some here believe it's the real test. A muzzle brake or comp will normally have a hole slightly larger than the caliber you are shooting. So a .223 may have a .25" hole. A flash hider traditionally is open. You can't fit your pinky in a muzzle brake but you can in a flash hider. The problem is this seems to have been adopted as fact but there are plenty of non-flash hiding muzzle devices that fail the pinky test as well as compensators that minimize flash.

That's quite the opposite of everything I've ever read. I'll have to dig deeper. Never put that much thought into it. I was under the impression that a bare muzzle gives the most flash.

Almost every muzzle brake increases flash in comparison to a bare barrel, not sure where your getting your info from. The more effective the brake, usually the more increase in flash.

That's quite the opposite of everything I've ever read. I'll have to dig deeper. Never put that much thought into it. I was under the impression that a bare muzzle gives the most flash.

You should see my Mosin M44 muzzle flash.  It definitely flashes a LOT more and more noticeably with a muzzle brake (yes I have a bolt on brake, yes it's an abomination, no I don't care)...

If a muzzle device suppresses the flash of a barrel it's illegal, even if u call it a muzzle brake. That's how NJ's law reads as is. I'm not going to argue the muzzle brakes being flashier since its subjective. I think we get away with more then the written law allows, and I wouldn't ask questions.

I find that with vague things in NJ, general public opinion is all we have to go by.

As far as I can tell "flash suppressor" isn't listed anywhere in the laws. It's only listed in the administrative code.

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;

I believe this was taken from the Clinton AWB

I think we'd all agree that an a2 birdcage or 3 prong flash hider is a flash hider. We'd probably also agree that the battlecomp or dynacomp are compensators. But what about devices built to do both. Everyone here would say they are good to go with a fsc556 but that does both. The ATF said that was good to go federally though. But this is NJ. They can call a thread protector a flash suppressor and arrest you. You'll go to court to prove otherwise.

I see what ur saying, my only point is that if you went to court, how do you prove its not a flash suppressor, if it does suppress the flash the barrel creates? The only argument you could use is convincing the court you thought you were following the law.

The DynaComp and Battlecomp suffer from the same issues, especially when mounted on shorter barrels (<16").  Mainly that as you shoot, carbon/unburnt propellant builds up in the tiny "slots" and then enough gets there it reaches a combustion point.  For my 14.5" rifle, this is about every 3-4 shots, then fireball, then fine, then fireball.

I see what ur saying, my only point is that if you went to court, how do you prove its not a flash suppressor, if it does suppress the flash the barrel creates? The only argument you could use is convincing the court you thought you were following the law.

Simple. Most companies sell both. For example I like the Surefire stuff. http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/suppressor-adapters.html Right on their webpage I can click for muzzle brakes or flash suppressors. "I ordered the muzzle brake judge". You can even point to the NY safe act. They added muzzle brakes and compensators to the banned list. This means nothing in NJ but it shows that muzzle brakes aren't flash suppressors.