Sign in to follow this  
mintbore

Revolver barrel length opinions

Hello all,

Waiting for a permit to purchase a single action .357, probably a Blackhawk, maybe a Uberti. I have found that I shoot a 5" barrel far better than a 4" on my semi autos, I'm assuming due to the longer sight picture. Should I expect the same from a revolver, or does the slimmer topline have a different effect on sight pictures? This is purely a range gun striving for accuracy.

TY

Longer sight radius will give you more accuracy, all other things being equal. 6" is always a good choice for an accurate range revolver. There are other factors that may favor shorter barrels, but you'll give up some accuracy. It's always a trade off.

I have a Blackhawk and an Uberti. It's not just the barrel length that helps accuracy but also the design of the sights. The adjustable sights on the Blackhawk are easier to use than the fixed sights on the Uberti.

I've also seen some people shoot worse with a longer barrel. Not much difference between a 4 and a 6 but with a 4 and an 8. The longer sight radius exaggerates the natural wobble you get looking at the sights.

I have a super Blackhawk with a 7.5" barrel, very accurate but it's not a 357. The longer the barrel the better the accuracy as long as you have good sites like others have mentioned. However, a longer barrel does equal more weight out front so keep that in mind. Most of my 357 revolvers have a 5" barrel which I find a happy medium, not too long to be "nose" heavy but long enough to have good accuracy.

I recently picked up a 1978 Colt Trooper MkIII with a 6" barrel that is dead on accurate and because it doesn't have a full lug under the barrel it balances nicely.

Thanks all...looks like The Blackhawk 6.5" is the deal. Handled the Uberti at Heritage and while a cool gun, not what will suit my needs.

Good choice. One of the most durable and unbreakable revolvers made. Your grandchildren will appreciate it.