gunnarsport

Legal self defense ammo?

Hi,

Is Hornady Critcal Defense 9mm ammo 100% legal in NJ to use in home for self defense? I am looking to purchase some home defense 9mm ammo and since hollow point is out of the question, wondering what my next best LEGAL option would be?

Thanks

my home defense rounds are the same my local PD use...if it's good for them, it's good for me

Ok, you guys win. Just curious if you google "hollow points in nj" EVERY SINGLE page that come up says they are illegal! Even that YouTuber Hickok45 says "I feel sorry for NJ residents that hollow points are illegal". Guess EVERYONE is misinformed!

I saw that one recently and cringed when he said it..

HAHAHA I did the same thing when he said it. He's usually pretty good but that one made cringe too. I was going to comment but it was about 3am when I watched it.

gunnarsport,

Please take the time to tell your FFL guy the truth about hollow points in NJ. Send him here if he does not believe you! The general public

look to such people as all knowing and infallible. He should stop passing disinformation as fact!  

Look at the above post. Nick is an FFL and he would never steer you in the wrong direction!

A PA gun shop did not want to sell me .22 HP,s as he too thought they were illegal in Jersey.

I told him to call any Dick's Sporting Goods store in Jersey and ask them if they sell hollow point ammo.

Needless to say, i walked out of his shop with the HP ammo. These people need to know the truth!

• Like 1

Agreed. Also, when looking at Hornady Duty/Defense...from what I researched, Duty is for full sized pistols and Defense is made for smaller or CCW type ones. 

If anyone knows differently please correct me. 

Agreed. Also, when looking at Hornady Duty/Defense...from what I researched, Duty is for full sized pistols and Defense is made for smaller or CCW type ones. 

If anyone knows differently please correct me. 

Both will function in either platform. Duty is optimized more for full frame and will penetrate barriers better than the defense version. Kinda like a +P round!

• Like 1

Both will function in either platform. Duty is optimized more for full frame and will penetrate barriers better than the defense version. Kinda like a +P round!

So to further on that, I have Duty loaded into my H&K VP9, and Defense for my S&W Shield. Those would be correct ammo choices for those pistols?

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but I've got Winchester Ranger SXT 9mm 124gr +P loaded in my bedside pistol.  

hqdefault.jpg

So to further on that, I have Duty loaded into my H&K VP9, and Defense for my S&W Shield. Those would be correct ammo choices for those pistols?

Yes

• Like 1

Hum. i was specially told by my FFL, a recently retired LEO, that Hollow Points are 100% illegal to use in home for self defense and was told my alternative option is Hornady Critcal Defense 9mm, since its top is polymer filled and technically NOT hollow point.

He told me just the opposite of what you guys are saying! Its totally legal to purchase, transport and shoot at range, NOT legal for home defense! 

I dont get it!

Your FFL is a retard. Now, name him and find another one.

Jeebus.

• Like 2

What?? Since when did Hollow Point become legal in NJ for self defense in home??  Ive been told by many LEO's NOT legal!

First problem is you asked a LEO.... While some Leos do know NJ law sadly most do not... We have had debates in my shop with Leos who claim when pulled over you MUST tell them you are transporting a firearm. After 30 minutes of Back and Forth he then said you should tell a Leo your transporting...   Must and Should are no the same... and yes we started debating "Should" as well LOL

Illegal to use in home for self defense, correct?

Incorrect.... Perfectly Legal to use for HD

Hum. i was specially told by my FFL, a recently retired LEO, that Hollow Points are 100% illegal to use in home for self defense and was told my alternative option is Hornady Critcal Defense 9mm, since its top is polymer filled and technically NOT hollow point.

He told me just the opposite of what you guys are saying! Its totally legal to purchase, transport and shoot at range, NOT legal for home defense! 

I dont get it!

So its illegal to Own. Shoot, Transport but NOT to use for its intended purpose? :)

I make it a point not to ask LEO about any firearm law. Present company excluded of course. It is fine to use at home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LOL

Ok, you guys win. Just curious if you google "hollow points in nj" EVERY SINGLE page that come up says they are illegal! Even that YouTuber Hickok45 says "I feel sorry for NJ residents that hollow points are illegal". Guess EVERYONE is misinformed!

Google is your friend in most cases.... But like all friends sometimes they Lie :)

Heritage guild easton refused to sell me hollow points because they were illegal in new Jersey. I tried to argue with the extremely inexperienced girl at the counter why that was bullshit but there was no winning and I could feel myself about to freak out but u just left and saved my blood pressure

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I dont get it!

Simple solution here. Ask your FFL to cite and show you the statute that says that.

First problem is you asked a LEO.... While some Leos do know NJ law sadly most do not... We have had debates in my shop with Leos who claim when pulled over you MUST tell them you are transporting a firearm. After 30 minutes of Back and Forth he then said you should tell a Leo your transporting...   Must and Should are no the same... and yes we started debating "Should" as well LOL

Just use NJ's "must" vs "shall" issue analogy 

While Hydra-Shok and Talons still hold a place in my magazines, the Underwood Extreme Defender is winning new ones. They are using the Lehigh Defense bullet heads, results are amazing, and there is none of this "is it a hollow point"  bullshit to worry about!

I understand now guys that HP is legal! But some of the comments here are a bit over the top and quite frankly, immature.

"Your FFL is a retard" Really?? Come on guys, lets chat like adults here!

Not really. Perhaps not delicately worded but it's your FFL's job to know the law and it's EXTREMELY important that someone that is trustworthy doesn't spread misinformation about NJ laws because with any chance at all the lawmakers will continue to oppress us with unconstitutional laws. You see how hard it was to convince you about the law because of the trust you had in this guy. Forgive me but it was a DUMB mistake on his part and he should know better. And if he doesn't know this law which is one of the clearer laws then he most definitely can't be trusted to know and give advice about some of the more complicated laws. Unfortunately he probably is.

Welcome to the forum, we are happy to have you here. Stick around, I'm sure you'll like it.

With limited exceptions, I found out a long time ago the last person to ask about NJ gun laws are FFLs. LEOs. and your 'everyday' Lawyers.

Yes, I said it.  I have my reasons.  

Best resource to date I have found for explaining NJ gun laws has been Even Nappen's book. Worth the investment and those 'in the know' who participate on this board.

That doesn't say you would not be harassed by a LEO, god knows I have been.  

Sorry, but calling a FFL a "retard" is childish,7th grade talk. Lets be adults and mature! I assume all members here are educated adults.

There's another assumption you got wrong.

• Like 5

HP's are legal but the prosecutor will still try to jam you up on it even if it was a good shoot. Just make sure you have a good lawyer. Massad Ayoob, who gets called in as an expert witness in a lot of these cases, speaks at length about this in his MAG20 class. Oh, and don't use reloads. Lol

http://www.gundigest.com/gun-blogs/books/handloads-not-a-good-idea-for-concealed-carry

Sorry, but calling a FFL a "retard" is childish,7th grade talk. Lets be adults and mature! I assume all members here are educated adults.

Not for nothing, but if you're going to get offended over that, you're gonna have a tough time here.