Sign in to follow this  
jiujiujiu

Buying rifle from out of state

I'm a little confused as to how this works.  Will they ship it to a gun store here in NJ and then I pick it up there?  Will they ship it direct to my house?  At what point do I have to fill out the CoE?  I assume they are on the hook for filing whatever needs to be filed with the fed.

My assumption:

1. I buy the gun over the phone.

2. They ship gun to a NJ gun shop.

3. I go to said gun shop and show my FID and fill out CoE

4. I take my gun home.

Is this correct?

NO it is not. Here we go again,

First, will your FFL accept transfers and what is the cost!  You buy the gun on the phone, The seller if an FFL or private citizen will ship it to a FFL of your choice,  If the seller is an FFL he will need a copy of your receiving FFLs license BEFORE he will ship.  If a private citizen, then you must ask your FFL  beforehand if he will accept from a private seller. Some do, some don't.  The seller will most likely have to include a copy of some state ID for the receiving FFL to accept. Again, up to your receiving FFL.

Now, your purchase is at your FFL, You will need your NJ FID, and another state issued ID for your FFL to process.  You will be asked to complete a Federal 4473 form as well as NJ's COE.  A background check will be performed, and if cleared you will be GTG.  What your FFL charges for this service is up to you to pay, plus the cost for the NJ NICS check.  

Now you have completed the process legally.

NO it is not. Here we go again,

First, will your FFL accept transfers and what is the cost! You buy the gun on the phone, The seller if an FFL or private citizen will ship it to a FFL of your choice, If the seller is an FFL he will need a copy of your receiving FFLs license BEFORE he will ship. If a private citizen, then you must ask your FFL beforehand if he will accept from a private seller. Some do, some don't. The seller will most likely have to include a copy of some state ID for the receiving FFL to accept. Again, up to your receiving FFL.

Now, your purchase is at your FFL, You will need your NJ FID, and another state issued ID for your FFL to process. You will be asked to complete a Federal 4473 form as well as NJ's COE. A background check will be performed, and if cleared you will be GTG. What your FFL charges for this service is up to you to pay, plus the cost for the NJ NICS check.

Now you have completed the process legally.

How is that different than what he laid out?

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Shows all the details. Important steps were either left out of the OPs post, or over simplified.

I felt it important to include all the details and steps involved.

Fair enough.

The gist was covered. But it is good to have the details saved for posterity.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk