Sign in to follow this  
Kevin125

Concealment Furniture

This looks like potential cool furniture items.  I haven't seen any of this until now.  Hadn't looked actually.

For those without your kids... it may be a decent option for quick access.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/20/furniture-firepower-gun-sales-drive-specialty-concealment-craze.html?intcmp=hpbt3

Furniture firepower: Gun sales drive specialty 'concealment' craze

Rising gun sales have triggered a new trend in furniture fashion -- coffee tables, cabinets, headboards and hutches with secret compartments for firearms.

'Gun concealment furniture' sales, once the province of solitary craftsmen making custom goods have gone mainstream, allowing firearms owners to maintain easy in-home access to hidden handguns and rifles.

“There are a lot of people who don’t want a big iron safe,” said Dan Ingram, owner of NJ Concealment Furniture, based in Hampton, N.J. “There are a lot of people who don’t even have room for one, but they still need someplace to safely store their guns.”

Ingram, a longtime cabinet maker, started building the special furniture four years ago after getting inspiration from the online gun community.

“At the time, I was on a lot of online gun forums and there was a constant complaint,” he said. “People wanted something with quick access when they needed their weapons to keep their homes safe which is why they bought the guns in the first place.

Ingram’s first design was a simple nightstand with a side compartment to hold a pistol. From there, he began designing and fabricating other items, such as wall shelves, coat racks, desks and hutches. Soon the specialty line became the company mission.

“I eventually closed my main cabinetry business,” he said, adding that he has seen more and more interest in his products as gun sales have gone up.

His products draw a steady stream of curious future customers at gun shows, Ingram said.

“We often draw a crowd of 30-40 people looking at our products," he said. "They wind up calling their friends over to check it out.”

Small and large furniture manufacturers alike are coming up with more creative ways to design furniture that not only provides safe keeping, but also easy access.

Major outdoor outfitters including Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops sell ottomans, benches and other furniture with built-in, locking gun compartments. Smaller furniture companies including Stealth Furniture, Secret Compartment Furniture and Heracles Research also specialize in gun concealment furniture.

Michigan inventor Frank Marshall built a headboard that enables anyone lying on the bed to go from dream to draw in one quick motion - provided the built-in safety latch is unlocked.

(...more in the linked article...)

Dan Ingram of NJ Concealment Furniture is a personal friend of mine.  I have friends that bought his furniture and can't say enough great things about it.  He strongly supports 2A functions in NJ and therefore deserves first crack at designing a piece to fit your lifestyle and current furnishings.

Rosey

How long before the the career burglars recognize the hardware and "poof" it's gone.  The cluttered house has your best hiding places.  Your hiding place is something only the family should know, not the guy who built it, clerk who sold it, or nefarious person who recognizes it.

How long before the the career burglars recognize the hardware and "poof" it's gone.  The cluttered house has your best hiding places.  Your hiding place is something only the family should know, not the guy who built it, clerk who sold it, or nefarious person who recognizes it.

You make a valid point, but,,,,,I have seen his stuff at a couple of hows, and he does a pretty good job of making the stuff varied and pretty well made, with a good number of choices in finish and styles, making it far less cookie cutter than one might first think. And a cash deal for this stuff, without names or addresses, would mitigate some of your concerns.

Being a litttttle practiced at furniture building, and carpentry being my trade, I've constructed a few places built-in to a home where one could conceal a wide range of items that NO burglar would be able to detect. Soaker tub surrounds, bow window trim, brick and wood fireplace mantles are a couple.

Sorry I can't post pics, right now, but I could dig up some next week. No, not worried they'll be found, just have to dig in the basement files.  

I think the odds are against a bad guy recognizing concealment furniture. No more likely than checking under desks or tables for magnetic hangars etc. If you decide to place a weapon ready to fire in an unlocked state, I think its as good a choice as any.