WJFortier

Cleaning Weapons on back deck after range?

Is it within "the law" for me to clean my condition 4 weapons outside on the deck of my home after being at the range?  I live on a corner lot with my back yard and deck visible from a road with a moderate amount of traffic.  There's times when I come home after shooting and thought it would be nice and relaxing to clean them outside...plus the light is better.  I really can't see why I couldn't, it's my house.  Then again, I live in NJ where NOTHING makes sense.

Perfectly legal but...do you really want to advertise to passers by that you have firearms in the house? 

Although I did say you could legally do it. This thought did cross my mind as well. I for one would not choose to advertise.

• Like 1

As much as I would like to clean mine on my deck, I live in a relatively dense neighborhood and am on the corner. Ie no deck privacy.

No way want my neighbors, which include renters, to know my firearms business. I instead clean mine in my garage with the door half raised for ventilation(especially for Hoppes).

• Like 1

I do this often. Especially if I want to soak anything in mineral spirits. Open air provides much better ventilation than open windows. But I am not easily visible out back.

I remember once I was working in the back(no firearms involved) and a patrolman came around to ask questions. Apparently there was an incident in the neighborhood and he wanted to know what I heard or saw. He had knocked on the front door but I didn't hear outback. I always wonder how that would go had I been cleaning or dry firing my 1911.

Also be careful. I accidentally launched my guide rod spring and retainer into the grass. Found the spring but never found retainer.

As for legality, my reading of law allows you to carry (open or concealed) on your lands. IANAL but I wouldn't recommend OC. Especially if neighbors can easily see you.

And make sure you know your property lines. I know mine end about 50 feet short of the street, so (if I did carry) I would not go near the mailbox.

Completely legal to clean, conceal carry or open carry on premises owned/possessed by you.

If the location is visible to neighbors/passer-bys/traffic then you might opt for discretion.

If you have a hoplophobic/anti-gun neighbor they could harass you by calling in a report to the police like "there's a guy brandishing a machine gun on his deck, pointing it everywhere".

Or a neighbor/passer-by might have a personal interest, or acquaintances who are interested, in obtaining firearm(s) via non-legal means and now your residence is a known potential source.

• Like 2

Speaking as a guy that trims tree branches with a Ontario Knife Co. "US" stamped machete as cars on Rt. 9 whiz by, the thought of worrying "what will the neighbors think?" or any such thing is far from removed, lol.  I've assembled BBQ grills in my backyard.  I've had a backyard fireplace.  I've used saw horses and power tools for lumber projects.  And hell yes I've cleaned guns in my yard.

Only time a Cop ever stopped-by to ask what I was doin' was on 9-11.  He turned the corner and gazed at my loaded M-1 Garand and 1/2 dozen en-bloc clips of BALL ammo lined-up on my picnic table and wanted to know what was up.  I told him I was lookin' for crop-dusters (Only thing allowed in the sky on 9-11 was military jets and rotary wing aircraft).  He nodded his head, waved and yelled-over to me to SHOOT THEM FIRST, then call it in on a landline, since the Government (NSA) shut-down all cell communications!

So since my cars already have NRA, IDPA, USPSA, NMLRA, BSA Eagle Scout, New Jersey Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs bumper stickers on 'em, I don't "sweat" what the neighbors witness in my back yard.  

All of this "Northeastern Angst" over the presence of firearms is a sure sign of INBREEDING with other Northeasterners.  Some of the "dyed-in-the-wool" BLUE DYE has washed out of yer clothes and INFECTED THE GROUNDWATER or sumthin', lol!  OMG looky-HERE Ethel, he lives in a house with FIREARMS?!  That's like sayin' OMG he lives in a house with runnin' water and it's own shitter!

It's all about poisoned minds and PERSPECTIVE.  The self-evident brainwashing, even among 2A proponents is eye-opening.  If we called for an Empty Holster Protest in Trenton for a planned date I believe half of you would "pussy-out", fearing that Cops would have plate readers operating withing a 10 block radius of the statehouse!

Now who wants their very own "I'm the NRA and I VOTE" bumper sticker?

Rosey

• Like 2

I shot a nude model outside of LV last year. We were shooting on her favorite location right off a highway; any driver on the road could see us in plain view. I asked if she is bothered by it or did it cause any problems. She answered that by the time drivers process what they saw they are already far away and not sure what exactly they saw. She did not care and she never had any problems from passersby.

You are fine and safe (until somebody call swat on you).

Is it within "the law" for me to clean my condition 4 weapons outside on the deck of my home after being at the range?  I live on a corner lot with my back yard and deck visible from a road with a moderate amount of traffic.  There's times when I come home after shooting and thought it would be nice and relaxing to clean them outside...plus the light is better.  I really can't see why I couldn't, it's my house.  Then again, I live in NJ where NOTHING makes sense.

You live in Browns Mills......patron town of shootin' stuff. Legal and illegal. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have nosy neighbors that are anti's. 

S. 

You live in Browns Mills......patron town of shootin' stuff. Legal and illegal. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have nosy neighbors that are anti's. 

S. 

It's legal. Why would he worry regardless if his neighbors are nosey or anti's? Serious question. No one should give a shit what their "neighbors" think about their personal beliefs. Do you actually think your neighbor cares about your personal beliefs? I highly doubt so.

I don't see a problem with cleaning, carrying, fondling or talking to your firearm anywhere within the boundary of your property. I doubt many people would notice you cleaning a long gun on your deck anyway. If anyone asks you about it, that's probably a good thing. Maybe they'll learn something real about "scary black guns".

• Like 1