Sign in to follow this  
Lambo2936

Visiting Michigan this upcoming Weekend; Any suggestions on where to stop?

As the title suggests, heading to Michigan this weekend to visit the fiance's extended family and so that they can meet our daughter. Other than the Ford Museum which i intend on visiting again this year, any suggestions? I've been looking for rainy weather stuff, as the weather appears to be iffy at the moment for that region. Don't mind driving a bit; was thinking about going further west for a day and visiting Chicago. I'm 22 and other than some trips to Upstate NY and Eastern PA to shoot, i haven't really been anywhere, but would like to start traveling a bit more.. Been to a few states but am too young to remember them, and the last time i saw my family in Israel was 9-10 years ago. I intend on visiting Gettysburg this summer, for sure, because it's so close, and would like to take a trip to VA/DE this summer as well, depending on how things are going.
Plan is to leave late thursday and leave MI on Monday, but i am fairly flexible as i am currently self employed. Will be taking her Kia Soul so driving isn't as much of an issue as it was last time when we took my F150.

Last time we were there, we didn't really do much as we were there for a family occasion. I'd like to see at least one of the great lakes, this time and a lot more of Michigan. Will be taking 80 thru PA & OH into MI. 

I was back there in February to see a Red Wings game (I grew up in MI), I would recommend the Ford factory tour of the assembly plant in Dearborn (The Rouge Plant) they build the F-150's there. You can buy tickets at the Henry Ford and they bus you over to the plant very cool tour if you are into that kind of stuff. Also checkout Green Field Village while you are at the Henry Ford as well. I also went to a gun show while I was there the next one is June 4th and 5th in Novi, MI and it is a pretty good show, also there are plenty of ranges that offer full auto gun rentals. If I remember correctly the trip to Chicago is about a three hour drive so take that into consideration. If you are really looking for a drive I would recommend driving up to the UP (Upper Peninsula) and check out Mackinac Island https://www.mackinacisland.org/ 

If you decide to go into the city of Detroit there is Greektown and the HockeyTown Cafe is pretty cool too. I would just recommend getting out of the city before sundown and I am not kidding. You could also try and catch a Tigers game while you are there, there is other stuff but this all I can think of off the top of my head. Have fun and be safe man.

We hit up the Ford Museum and village last time we were there; the weather for this weekend is looking terrible and 85 degrees (and probably very humid), so that is probably going to be a no-go with my 9-10 month old. 
Was definitely cool to visit, because my 2011 f150 was born there and i got to take it back, haha. We're going to do the indoor part of the museum for sure, though.

Spent some time in detroit, as well, as the party was in a really high end hotel there, and as a huge group we went to a few restaurants and taverns in the area. That being said, i have no intention of taking my daughter into Detroit as i am unfamiliar with the bad and not-as-bad area's. 
Google says Chicago is about 4 hours, which i don't mind doing; i Figure i'd rather spend an extra day or 2 in the area while i'm already that far out and see what i want to see rather than spending the time and money to drive right past Michigan to see Chicago, say, next year.

Thats just an example though; i don't really like cities. At all. I like Nature and peace and quiet. Other than when i'm shooting. I'd like to see what National/state parks they have there.

Just got back from visiting daughter and fiancé. She is in Grand Rapids which is an up and coming place for 20 to 30 year olds. Becoming know for its craft beer scene. Went up to Traverse City (on Lake Michigan). Tourist town. Lots of lake and outdoor stuff to do. Wineries and brew pubs. I was surprised how much I liked it.

Thanks for the info guys. Definitely going to try and locate the Cabelas there. Think they would sell to NJ residents way out there? Hahaha. Weber grill restaurant sounds cool, too. Wonder what the Cabelas is like there. Only one i've been to is the one in PA.

Thanks for the info guys. Definitely going to try and locate the Cabelas there. Think they would sell to NJ residents way out there? Hahaha. Weber grill restaurant sounds cool, too. Wonder what the Cabelas is like there. Only one i've been to is the one in PA.

I went to the cabela's in Dundee and bought a bolt gun be prepared for it to take awhile. They cover their butts when they sell to people from restricted states.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I love Chicago. I make it a point to visit at least twice a year. It's like New York except it's cleaner, easier to navigate, and the people are friendly. Phenomenal sports town and the food is stellar. Endless things to do when the weather is warm. Not sure how much time you can allow yourself there, but it wouldn't be enough lol.

Any of you guys familiar with PA and MI laws and know whats been going on here as far as legislation? Id like to look into moving here- assuming i find a good job- and am curious as to whether either are in danger of losing carry, etc?