Rob0115

SA build

I scored a brand new stainless Remington 700 SA complete with trigger group for 360 bucks off GB. While I'm waiting for LA build, and I'm in no rush to get this one done although I said that about the last one, I though I'd solicit some ideas.

I think I'm going to get a full chassis system this time around but I'm most concerned about caliber. I'm considering 6.5C, 6.5L or 6mm Creedmore.

Just a question as i am new to long range shooting. Why not the 308? I've heard barrel life is great and there is so much variety of good ammo available for non reloader's. At the distances we have available in NJ wouldn't it get the job done?

Do you reload? If not, then its gotta be 6.5c.

Long time reloader.

Just a question as i am new to long range shooting. Why not the 308? I've heard barrel life is great and there is so much variety of good ammo available for non reloader's. At the distances we have available in NJ wouldn't it get the job done?

I have a .308, and at longer distances the .308 is not as competent as the other calibers mentioned.

Lots of pros and cons here.  6C and 6.5C along with the 6X47L and 6.5X47L are the leaders,  Some migrate to Lapua for the better brass, others 6C for the longer lasting barrel and still others for the 6.5C because of the assortment of loading.  6C with 105 Berger Hybrid is gaining ground at the moment. Just too many choices.  

I just got back from shooting gas guns out to 1,450 yards with one being a 6.5C.  That being said, I'm building a bolt gun now.  If I were you, I'd see how much it would cost to work over the action you have and drop it in a chassis.  I'm going with a PTG-blueprinted short action 700, Timney trigger, Kriger medium palma 1:8 barrel (cut down to 28" and threaded for a can), and dropping it all into a KRG X-Ray.  I handled a Whiskey 3 over the weekend and while it's nice, I just can't justify the added cost.  Same goes for the PTG action over the Surgeon that I played with.

The action will be trued not sure which chassis yet but I am going 6mm creedmor for sure. I am leaning towards a kinetic or an AICS. I'm get a carbon fiber barrel for fun.

Not sure on trigger. I did a CG on my LA build with a JAE chassis/stock. 300 WM.

I just got back from shooting gas guns out to 1,450 yards with one being a 6.5C. That being said, I'm building a bolt gun now. If I were you, I'd see how much it would cost to work over the action you have and drop it in a chassis. I'm going with a PTG-blueprinted short action 700, Timney trigger, Kriger medium palma 1:8 barrel (cut down to 28" and threaded for a can), and dropping it all into a KRG X-Ray. I handled a Whiskey 3 over the weekend and while it's nice, I just can't justify the added cost. Same goes for the PTG action over the Surgeon that I played with.

I can get a like new AICS 2.0 for about 750 bucks but saw the KRG and couldn't believe the price. I haven't handled one what did you think of the quality? It's really budget friendly and with all the dough in my LA build saving a few bucks wouldn't suck.

I was pretty sure I was doing 6c but may still consider 6x47L as well. I just need to research some of the load data before final determination.

I'm also converting my AR10 from .308 to 6.5C so everyone keep and a for a low round count, about 100, rainier match barrel.

I can get a like new AICS 2.0 for about 750 bucks but saw the KRG and couldn't believe the price. I haven't handled one what did you think of the quality? It's really budget friendly and with all the dough in my LA build saving a few bucks wouldn't suck.

I was pretty sure I was doing 6c but may still consider 6x47L as well. I just need to research some of the load data before final determination.

I'm also converting my AR10 from .308 to 6.5C so everyone keep and a for a low round count, about 100, rainier match barrel.

The Whiskey 3 is noticeably nicer than the X-Ray but for me personally, not twice the cost nice.

The Whiskey 3 is noticeably nicer than the X-Ray but for me personally, not twice the cost nice.

854Tactical did a nice 15 minute review and compared it to its pricier sibling. Gave it very good marks.

Hey Ty, just wondering, was the 6.5 your MWS with the 6.5 barrel? Is so, how does it perform? I've thought about possibly getting the barrel.

Thanks.

Yes, the MWS with a 6.5 barrel.  It shot like a laser and I'm very happy with it.  I'm building a bolt primarily because the recoil impulse is so much shorter and shooting a bolt is just plain easier.

I can't decide between 6C and 6.5C.  I'm trying to sell my Black Rain LR308 for basically peanuts and it has no interest here, may have to put on AR15.com, but I thought if it didn't sell I'd re-barrel in 6.5c, 6c or 7mm08.  So if I do 6.5C I'll do the bolt in 6mm C.

• Like 1

I can't decide between 6C and 6.5C. I'm trying to sell my Black Rain LR308 for basically peanuts and it has no interest here, may have to put on AR15.com, but I thought if it didn't sell I'd re-barrel in 6.5c, 6c or 7mm08. So if I do 6.5C I'll do the bolt in 6mm C.

6.5cm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't decide between 6C and 6.5C.  I'm trying to sell my Black Rain LR308 for basically peanuts and it has no interest here, may have to put on AR15.com, but I thought if it didn't sell I'd re-barrel in 6.5c, 6c or 7mm08.  So if I do 6.5C I'll do the bolt in 6mm C.

6.5.  The heavier/longer bullets do better at extended range.  This is more beneficial than the bump in velocity with the smaller 6mm.

C'mon man a touch more detail.

6.5cm is the new 308... Its straighter over long distance, uses pmags unless bolt. Slightly cheaper match ammo than 308.

I got the RPR in 6.5cm and it makes me look like a great shooter compared to my 308 stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as 6.5 isn't too much for my wee frail frame I'll do that.  Let's hear some barrel thoughts?

I'm using a Bartlein with a medium palma contour.  It will be cut down to 24" and threaded for a can.  If I wasn't using a suppressor, I'd go with a 26".  But 24" leaves me enough barrel that I can set it back should it be needed due to erosion.

As long as 6.5 isn't too much for my wee frail frame I'll do that.  Let's hear some barrel thoughts?

I'm running a Bartlein 5r, M40 profile, 25" cut.  Shoots well and has almost no cold bore shift, currently.  

My preferred profiles are M40 or Heavy Palma.  Going back to 26" on the next rebarrel.

Ok thought about he mega arms but just got a lightly used whiskey krg for 650 shipped to me. I couldn't let it go.

I'm ordering a 6.5mm barrel blank and dropping all the stuff down at tier 1 when I pick up my LA build. Hopefully this week or next.