kirk2022

Supreme Court ruling on NH non res permit?

New Jersey laws.

But you are headed to the range on your way, so you are fine. And you are keeping your mouth shut and exercising your Fifth Amendment Rights under guidance from counsel, end, period.

When is the last time a cop searched your car?

• Like 1

New Jersey laws.

But you are headed to the range on your way, so you are fine. And you are keeping your mouth shut and exercising your Fifth Amendment Rights under guidance from counsel, end, period.

When is the last time a cop searched your car?

So taking a gun out of the state... To a state where I can legally carry is against the law ?

So taking a gun out of the state... To a state where I can legally carry is against the law ?

Yes, illegal. You may take it to a range in that adjacent state, what you do after the range is free game. Now if you were going to a non-adjacent state I think it is a different story as you are covered by FOPA. Keep in mind I only play the role of a part-time lawyer wannabe on the world

Wide web :)

Yes, illegal. You may take it to a range in that adjacent state, what you do after the range is free game. Now if you were going to a non-adjacent state I think it is a different story as you are covered by FOPA. Keep in mind I only play the role of a part-time lawyer wannabe on the world

Wide web :)

interesting... so then the NH NR ruling is completely useless to us New Jerseyians at this time.. 

I have been told that our carry permit for PA allows us to go to PA. But strict reading of the NJ statutes doesn't provide an exemption in that case. Once you are in NJ they don't want us to leave with our guns unless they say so. You would think they would want us to take our guns out of NJ but then again this is NJ. This is crazy stuff.

If I was a Jersey resident, I would not be concerned. I'm not getting pulled over. If I do, cops are not searching my car. If they do they will find targets and information about the range in my back pocket. This type of thing is more likely to come up during an auto accident than out of the blue.

NOT legal advice, but head to the range first.

Basically FOPA only covers you when traveling between states where you have carry rights in the beginning and ending destination states. In the states between them you must keep the guns unloaded and locked. Some areas don't follow FOPA (NYC).

I find this hard to believe. What if you're a NJ resident going to a match in some other state? You have carry rights in neither. 

From the NRA website:

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

Wikipedia:

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[11]

From the NJ Geheimstatpolizei website:

New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.

I may lawfully possess and carry on my property; I may lawfully possess and carry in Utah. Transporting a handgun between those locations is legal according to federal law. If you actually know something that's not covered here and can cite a law or case, or are privy to unpublicized legal shenanigans (such as a NJ resident getting arrested for bringing a gun to PA or VT) I'd like to read it here. If not and you're posting authoritatively you're only spreading misinformation.

That being said, I await with great anticipation when the question, "any firearms or other contraband in the car" becomes routine here and elsewhere during routine traffic stops. Denial could be a lie, and pleading the 5th gives them probable cause. Should be fun.

Shooting range in PA from NJ is ok. OR Place of business. Thats where I fall under. PA Place of Business.

what does place of busniess consist of?

If i am  project Manger who travels back and forth from job sites does this cover it?

2C:39-6. Exemptions

e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

So how do people leave the state to go on vacation ? If I was to go to the poconos for a week ... Legally I would be in violation from the NJ leg of the trip?

Makes no sense ..: I have a hard time believing a jury would convict someone on that ..

So how do people leave the state to go on vacation ? If I was to go to the poconos for a week ... Legally I would be in violation from the NJ leg of the trip?

Makes no sense ..: I have a hard time believing a jury would convict someone on that ..

Here is the simple answer when leaving NJ to PA you are going to a licensed gunsmith or range. When returning from PA to NJ you are coming from that licensed gunsmith or range. Whatever else you do in PA or any other state for that matter is no business of the State of NJ.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your question has been answered. What the AG tells you will not matter in court.

And what you are told on this board will matter even less in court.

Here is the simple answer when leaving NJ to PA you are going to a licensed gunsmith or range. When returning from PA to NJ you are coming from that licensed gunsmith or range. Whatever else you do in PA or any other state for that matter is no business of the State of NJ.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

well i guess its good i am only 10 miles from the Walt Whitman.. 

You are closer than me. I am 11 miles from the WWB. I see you listed Bob's as your home range.

You might want to consider another range for LOTS of reasons. PM if interested.

there is no crazy hidden rule that you cant join a out of state gun range is there? .. just joined a PA one in south Philly.

i can Legally take from NJ to this Range as i have a photo Member card as well?

So, what is needed to obtain the NH non-resident permit? since they haven't updated the forms...

Do I need a Florida CCW as it would show completion of a training course? how about Utah? NH Dept. Public Safety isn't giving me a clear answer...seems the two people I spoke to aren't sure...

Mike,

Ryan, (MaintenanceGuy), sent for his using the existing NH form and wrote Utah and his non resident Utah CCW # where it says CCW # from your state of residence.

3 weeks later he got his NH CCW in the mail. He included a copy, front and back of his Utah CCW with the form.

If you have any non resident CCW you can apply now using the existing form from NH. They are approving these CCWs now.

• Like 1

Really even with a NH non res ?

Philadelphia is a class 1 city.  I don't really know what that means exactly except for CCW being restricted more there. Just transport unloaded and per NJ laws and you should be fine in PA.

Mipafox might be able to chime in on this one.