CMJeepster

Meanwhile in New Hampshire...

are our nh ccw valid in philadephia?

As I understand PA law (I've been wrong before):

It's legal to carry open in PA without a permit everywhere except for in "cities of the first class".  Philadelphia is the only "city of the first class".  So you can open carry in PA without a permit but not in Philly.

If you have a carry permit that PA recognizes, you can carry concealed everywhere - even in cities of the first class.  So, a NH permit is good in Philly.  With a recognized permit, you can even open carry in Philly - but that has resulted in some harassment by the PD in the past.

You can carry in a vehicle in PA with ANY carry permit but you can't get out of your car unless you have one recognized by PA. 

But be careful.  PA still has some places you can't carry including:

Courts, federal buildings, state parks (except in a vehicle so you can drive through but can't get out and hike with your gun), and secure areas of an airport.  You may or may not be able to carry on school property. State law says no unless it's for an authorized school activity or "other lawful purpose".   Is self defense a lawful purpose?  The only reason I mention the last one is it's pretty easy to end up on a school property when driving in unfamiliar places.

i don't have any ccw permit. waiting patiently to hear back on here from others like me who sent it in with just their nj fid#. again though, that's what the lawsuit was all about i thought, so i'm not sure why it would be denied. still, waiting to hear the good news before i send in my form. not as concerned about the $100 as i am about having to put the dreaded "yes" in the "have you ever been denied a permit before" section

But be careful.  PA still has some places you can't carry including:....You may or may not be able to carry on school property. State law says no unless it's for an authorized school activity or "other lawful purpose".   Is self defense a lawful purpose?  The only reason I mention the last one is it's pretty easy to end up on a school property when driving in unfamiliar places.

Remember that under Federal Law (GFSZA: you may not have an unlocked gun (or loaded gun even if locked) in a school zone (within 1000 feet of school property) unless you have a permit from that specific state. That excludes reciprocity (NH is only valid in NH). Some exceptions are "that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone." That's one reason for the signs that you are entering a school zone. Very rarely used but be careful.

Courts, federal buildings, state parks (except in a vehicle so you can drive through but can't get out and hike with your gun), and secure areas of an airport.  You may or may not be able to carry on school property. State law says no unless it's for an authorized school activity or "other lawful purpose".   Is self defense a lawful purpose?  The only reason I mention the last one is it's pretty easy to end up on a school property when driving in unfamiliar places.

Also, on a somewhat related issue, a recent PA court ruling regarding the meaning of "other lawful purposes" seems to further complicate this.

View this thread on pafoa.org: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=306150

As I understand PA law (I've been wrong before):

It's legal to carry open in PA without a permit everywhere except for in "cities of the first class".  Philadelphia is the only "city of the first class".  So you can open carry in PA without a permit but not in Philly.

You can open carry in PA and transport in PA with any state's permit with the exception of Philadelphia unless having a valid permit. However, you can not open carry in PA during a state of emergency without a recognized permit or valid permit. Also, if open carrying in a city of first class in PA, be prepared to show proof of LTCF/Recognized CCW.

If you have a carry permit that PA recognizes, you can carry concealed everywhere - even in cities of the first class.  So, a NH permit is good in Philly.  With a recognized permit, you can even open carry in Philly - but that has resulted in some harassment by the PD in the past.

I don't recommend carrying openly in Philadelphia, but that's your call. Also, being one of the "first" with out of state NH permit you "might" be detained.

You can carry in a vehicle in PA with ANY carry permit but you can't get out of your car unless you have one recognized by PA. 

This is a bit iffy---from what I understand You can but must carry openly if the permit is NOT recognized and you can't open carry in a city of the first class (Phila) unless reciprocity for CCW is recognized.

Yesterday, "other lawful purposes" was defined by the PA superior court as "school approved or GOVERNMENT issued such as security, politics, etc". Simply stay off school property while conceal carrying. Here's a thread on school zones---it's a federal thing and I believe LTCF (PA residents) are treated differently but there's still confusion as simply walking down a street with your dog and (literally) walking onto school property....

Federal law:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 922

§ 922. Unlawful acts

(2)

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—

(I) not loaded; and

(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

PA LTCF law

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=126741

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=292597

For what it's worth I sent in my NH renewal in the first week of June and already received the new permit.  I couldn't wait for the updated forms because I use the permit regularly and it was going to expire at month's end.  I simply included a copy of the SLB v NHDOS decision with my renewal application.

For what it's worth I sent in my NH renewal in the first week of June and already received the new permit.  I couldn't wait for the updated forms because I use the permit regularly and it was going to expire at month's end.  I simply included a copy of the SLB v NHDOS decision with my renewal application.

yes this is annoying as i am now not getting repsonses back and sent it 3 weeks ago with no check cashed.

i sent a new email to the Saftey Department of SP in hopes for a update.

yes this is annoying as i am now not getting repsonses back and sent it 3 weeks ago with no check cashed.

i sent a new email to the Saftey Department of SP in hopes for a update.

There is a strong possibility that, as I feared, they went back to the old rules of requiring a copy of ANY states CCW, resident or non resident.

If that is the case, The NJ FID card is not good in NH. 

Good luck. I hope you hear good news!

I'm curious if a ccw is required too.  I read the NH law that seems to apply and it looks like the law does not require any ccw but I'm not at all familiar with NH law and certainly could have missed something.

Waiting for someone who applied using NJFID to share the outcome here.

Wouldn't I have heard something back or

Got the letter the in mail rejecting it ?

Sounds to me like they don't know how do deal with just a NJFID. They may have referred your application to their lawyers for an answer.

The good news is, they have not yet rejected you! If it was cut  and dry, you would have an answer by now I would think.

There are A few Guys posting on the Northeast shooters forum that they received theirs, Mine should be here any day, I did include my Utah and NJ FID with the app though.

The law always was that you needed A permit, I havnt seen anything that says different so I sent mine copies just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

Received mine in the mail today.

Day 0 - June 6, sent application - although at the time NH was saying wait for the new forms.  I didn't wait.

Day 15 - June 21, djw2033 posted that he received an email that NH was starting to process applications.

Day 16 - June 22, check cleared

Day 24 - June 30, received permit in the mail.

I was hoping the permit numbers were numbered sequentially by state and that I'd get number NJ0000001.   Not so.

NH_Permit.jpg

Did you use a FL NR CCW?

They received mine on June 27th .. .. Maybe I will see a check cash in the next day or two ?

I think if nothing is cashed or seen by Monday it would be safe to say there is an issue

Don't get beside yourself yet, Remember there was the holiday in there, Plus by now they are probably getting A decent amount of apps.    Plus they don't work for us, here in NJ. Id give it another week before e-mailing them again.  Just my thoughts.  A post on another forum was made that the guy was told they are getting A lot of apps and the 14 days is getting longer.