CMJeepster

Meanwhile in New Hampshire...

First hurdle will be to get a NH NR permit.  That will be decided in the next couple of weeks.  I guess when the application changes on the NHSP website will give you that answer.  Secondly, PA recognizes NH permit today, tomorrow who knows. have to keep up on that one also.  You must go to Texas for the CCW class to obtain a Texas NR CCW.

Can a non-res FL get a NH currently (new ruling aside)?

Cant you open carry regardless once youre in the state?

Yes. But not in Philly, and you need a permit from ANY state to have a handgun in the car except for going to the range, etc. Even unloaded in the trunk. So you really need some sort of permit to open carry from a practical standpoint.

Conceal carry or Philly in public requires a reciprocal or honored license.

I think people are under the impression that a non-res FL CCW can get a non-res NH CCW.

Originally you could, the NH changes said you couldn't, and now the NH Supremes say you can. Everyone is waiting for the NHSP to change their forms.

I think people are under the impression that a non-res FL CCW can get a non-res NH CCW.

A few years ago, yes, this was how it was done --  Then NH changed their ruling to only allow non-res permits with a permit from your home state taking us NJ residents out of the game

It looks like this will change shortly

No one knows when NH will update their rules.  No one knows if PA will change their rules.  Time will tell.

If your not going to a range, then you are in violation of NJ law and subject to arrest within the state of NJ.

Any idea as to when NH will make this available to us?

Also, can you legally drive from NJ into PA to carry with this lisence? Your not technically going to or from a range .... ?

Join Easton Fish and Game --  it's cheap

No one knows when NH will update their rules. No one knows if PA will change their rules. Time will tell.

If your not going to a range, then you are in violation of NJ law and subject to arrest within the state of NJ.

So I guess at the end of the day this ruling helps us none?

People will just be applying for the hope that PA changes there rules...?

Even so won't you still be in violation in NJ?

What I meant was if PA changes their agreement with NH to recognize only resident CCW then the NH NR CCW is worthless to NJ resident for PA CCW.  This is what DA Kane did in PA with other states NR CCW such as FL, UT and others.  Only TX and NH NR CCW are GTG in PA at the moment if I am correct.

if you went to PA with a handgun and not to a range in PA, either traveling to or from PA, in NJ you are in violation of the law in NJ.

So I guess at the end of the day this ruling helps us none?

People will just be applying for the hope that PA changes there rules...?

Even so won't you still be in violation in NJ?

Well, the gun is in your trunk in Jersey and so are the targets ;) Write down the hours of the range you are headed to in PA and make sure it is open, print out directions and put in your back pocket where they are none of anybody's business unless there is trouble. When I get pulled over and the cop asks, "Where you headed?" I say my lawyer said 5th Amendment. Only come up once, though. In Jersey, of course.

• Like 1

There is nothing in the NJ statutes that says the range has to be open nor that you have to shoot when you get there. It's legal to drive from anywhere in NJ to, let's say EFGA, where you can let yourself onto the range property at any time of the day or night. You may only shoot during daylight hours, but that is irrelevant.

When there you can strap up and then go about your business in PA. When you're done, go back to the range property, secure your sidearm unloaded in the trunk and head home.

• Like 1

There is nothing in the NJ statutes that says the range has to be open nor that you have to shoot when you get there. It's legal to drive from anywhere in NJ to, let's say EFGA, where you can let yourself onto the range property at any time of the day or night. You may only shoot during daylight hours, but that is irrelevant.

When there you can strap up and then go about your business in PA. When you're done, go back to the range property, secure your sidearm unloaded in the trunk and head home.

We are going through a lot of sequential hypotheticals here. First you get pulled over. Then you have your car searched. Most likely because you flapped your gums or were in an accident. But at the end of the day, that means the cop is suspicious, and I don't think roadside lawyering a dumb, anti-gun NJ cop (present company excluded)is going keep you out of jail for a few days or a week if he is kind enough to bother check your story and decide he doesn't buy it.

Heck, perhaps you will even be prosecuted and the judge will direct that you cannot say or the jury cannot consider you were on the way to a range as an exception just like they did with Brian Aitken "moving" (even though he was guilty IMO).

I think it's a reasonable suggestion.

This is New Jersey.

What I meant was if PA changes their agreement with NH to recognize only resident CCW then the NH NR CCW is worthless to NJ resident for PA CCW.  This is what DA Kane did in PA with other states NR CCW such as FL, UT and others.  Only TX and NH NR CCW are GTG in PA at the moment if I am correct.

if you went to PA with a handgun and not to a range in PA, either traveling to or from PA, in NJ you are in violation of the law in NJ.

My memory is fuzzy but I recall that the exemptions include X, Y, and Z within NJ and "anywhere else" we are legally permitted to have the gun out of state. Thus if someone plans to drive to a friend's in PA to shoot the cockroaches behind the house he can bring his handgun. Federal law guarantees safe legal passage between "legal at origin point, legal at destination."

We're splitting hairs again and anticipating the mother of all traffic stops. I've removed all the NRA, "legalize crack," and commie bumper stickers from our vehicles. The swastika mirror ornament is gone too. I have not been stopped for any reason in nine years (speeding, which I now avoid religiously) and not searched since a guard at a remote Canadian border crossing in 1989 woke up with a huge hardon. Common sense, politeness, discretion, and slavish obedience of traffic laws. Get a haircut. Simple as that.

Emailed NH state police and just received the same response as previous posters:

"We are aware of the decision from the Supreme Court.  The decision is being reviewed at this time.  Please check the web site or e-mail us for updates."

This topic, when to apply, was discussed on the latest Gun for Hire podcast. Scott Bach and Dan Shmutter recommend waiting for several more weeks while they work with New Hampshire Dept of Safety to put revised application procedures in place.

I think we'll get NH back without too much fuss. Pennsylvania's position on reciprocity becomes the main issue. Who will replace Kane? In the recent primary Democrats out-voted Republicans in that state by nearly half a million votes. The Pennsy legislature would have acted by now if it was interested, my venerated counsel on that matter notwithstanding. 

Long term the only hope in NJ is passage of a reciprocity law that includes non-resident permits. The relevant courts will never succumb to logic or constitutional arguments. This has to be forced down their throats and survive the inevitable Supreme Court review after Fat Legs is elected, which is a near impossibility.  

There's nothing wrong with getting a Florida license NOW. It's a great license that allows carry in a lot of states. We can monitor the NH situation.

so is it worth compltleying the (4) hour Utah course?  then apply for Floridia?  will that cover PA?

^^non-resident FL is not honored in PA currently.  UT is not honored in PA either.

Its the non-resident permits that aren't always honored - I think non-res FL was honored a few years ago but recently changed.

GFH has the UT and FL maps on their website for reference.

so is it worth compltleying the (4) hour Utah course?  then apply for Floridia?  will that cover PA?

Yes, it is worth completing the course and getting both Utah and Florida.  But, no, it will not cover PA if you are a non-resident in both UT and FL.  As a PA non-resident and a non-resident carry permit holder from any other state, you'll only be able to carry in PA with TX and NH. 

TX you need to take the class on Texas soil and then get your license.  NH is pending the latest court action, hence this thread.

Check here for the latest reciprocity agreements in PA:

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_and_Resources/Firearm_Reciprocity_Agreements/

The training you need to get for UT is not sufficient for FL. FL require a live fire portion that UT does not. The people who offer a combined course do the UT mandated classroom stuff and live fire. They will usually have a qualified person on hand to take care of the fingerprint cards too. You would then just have to write checks for each state and mail the packets.

Try getting the CCW app for your smartphone. It has an extensive set of info for each state. You can enter your permits (resident or non-resident) and see a map of which states you can carry in.

Yes Delaware accepts Utah non-resident (as well as Florida non-resident).

According to GFH map yes (thats just a reference but check the state website first obviously) - DE (and VT for obvious reasons) are the only states around the Mason Dixon and above it that you can carry in with either non-resident CCW (or nothing at all if VT)

Nonsense. There are many. Maine doesn't even require a permit.

handgunlaw.us

Do your license map, but check the details for each state you are going to/through.

BTW, I don't have Florida, and haven't looked into it much. But I believe DD214 counts for training. Many states (not sure about Florida) allow like $25 NRA classes for training requirements. Heck, NRA classes with live-fire training are like $50 or something.