High Exposure

Low Profile Gas Block

Can't reverse it by replacing the cut down fsb with a new one? All the low pro gas blocks I researched when I cut mine down had their own set screw or allowed you to drill new holes. That's why I chose to cut down the existing.

Doesn't your employer have a policy against modifying their guns?

ETA: If you ask permission, will they approve?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Two conditions for alteration:

1) It can't be permanent - I have to be able to return it to its original condition. Which is why I want to replace my FSB not alter it.

2) Any alteration has to be approved and inspected by the armorer... Who is me :D

The main reason I want to do this is we are getting IR lasers and I need to ditch the carbine length MOE Handguards currently on my Colt Commando and install a FF tube. I figure that if I am going through that much trouble, I may as well just install a longer tube, for example a 10" ALG EMR V2 that is sitting on my workbench.

If I can't find anything that will work, it may actually be easier to re-write the policy and eliminate the "No Permanant Modification" clause.

Two conditions for alteration:

1) It can't be permanent - I have to be able to return it to its original condition. Which is why I want to replace my FSB not alter it.

2) Any alteration has to be approved and inspected by the armorer... Who is me :D

The main reason I want to do this is we are getting IR lasers and I need to ditch the carbine length MOE Handguards currently on my Colt Commando and install a FF tube. I figure that if I am going through that much trouble, I may as well just install a longer tube, for example a 10" ALG EMR V2 that is sitting on my workbench.

If I can't find anything that will work, it may actually be easier to re-write the policy and eliminate the "No Permanant Modification" clause.

A new A2 style F marked FSB is like $30 from BCM. Why not just buy a spare and grind it down?

may as well just install a longer tube, for example a 10" ALG EMR V2 that is sitting on my workbench.

Is there any concern with poi shift with such a lightweight tube? I know the guys on P&S have mentioned it was an issue on most non quad rail designs.

Is there any concern with poi shift with such a lightweight tube? I know the guys on P&S have mentioned it was an issue on most non quad rail designs.

Are you sure it was handguard related and not attachment related?  I've read reports of zero shifts with keymod accessories but not mlok.

Are you sure it was handguard related and not attachment related? I've read reports of zero shifts with keymod accessories but not mlok.

This was specific to lasers mounted to top rail of various keymod/mlok rails. It's not a zero shift issue but a POI issue when using a barricade for support. They are also very anti-keymod on that site. I will see if I can find a link but it's a private Facebook group so I'm not sure how to post it.

Gotcha. That makes sense. If the free floating rail works ass advertised, it will flex/move without disturbing the barrel or receiver with the optic mounted on it holding zero for your optic.

If there is a DBAL/PEQ15 or even iron sight on the tube, you are going to get a shift POA/POI shift when measured against the optic on the receiver.

The heavier railed tubes are more rigid and resist flexing a bit more than the tube type handguards.

I thought you read something about the tube flexing under the weight of the laser.

Gotcha. That makes sense. If the free floating rail works ass advertised, it will flex/move without disturbing the barrel or receiver with the optic mounted on it holding zero for your optic.

If there is a DBAL/PEQ15 or even iron sight on the tube, you are going to get a shift POA/POI shift when measured against the optic on the receiver.

The heavier railed tubes are more rigid and resist flexing a bit more than the tube type handguards.

I thought you read something about the tube flexing under the weight of the laser.

No. I can't find the thread. And I realize that all things will move but figure a laser is a bigger issue than a front iron sight. The thread specifically stated they were talking about longer rails but I don't remember if it was 10+ or 12+ they were talking about. It's probably less of an issue with the commando length rails of 9-10" I'm assuming you are considering.

What lasers are you going with. The new one from BE Meyers looks pretty awesome

What good is being allowed to have all the fun toys if you aren't going to by them. :).

I've never used a laser system before but the setup on the MAWL SEEMS the be very intuitive. If I had to pick on what makes sense based on my zero knowledge that would be the one that seems the easiest.

Any reason now to put on something like a 7" centurion arms Hand guard and call it a day?

post-1587-0-20444800-1465243893_thumb.jpeg

This was specific to lasers mounted to top rail of various keymod/mlok rails. It's not a zero shift issue but a POI issue when using a barricade for support. They are also very anti-keymod on that site. I will see if I can find a link but it's a private Facebook group so I'm not sure how to post it.

I'm in the group and I think I've seen that post. 

Ha! Someone has to pay for them.

Yeah man, the MAWL is well thought out and fits smoothly into the current trend of weapon set up - if I had my druthers that's what we would get. We shall see what they are priced at.

I have had a DD Omega 7 installed for 6 years or so, but I want the extra room and the weight savings.

I hope you do a good job so you can approve your mods, any other outcome would be embarrassing.  :)

A new upper isn't permanent. Buy a free float 7" for everyone. Anyone that wants something more customized can have the armorer approve an upper. Problem solved

Are you sure you aren't a closet Democrat?  That's pretty liberal spending of taxpayer dollars :rofl:

Are you sure you aren't a closet Democrat? That's pretty liberal spending of taxpayer dollars :rofl:

Well I was assuming that if you weren't happy with the 7" quad rail you'd use your own money to buy the new upper. I assume if you currently replaced your handguard grip or stock that came out of your pocket too. It's really the perfect solution, except the fact that you couldn't ever use the upper on your personal stuff later on since it would be a NFA item. You could even limit the upper to something like A BCM upper only. Then people could order it with any free float they offer and it wouldn't be like some officers coming with some PSA upper