Sign in to follow this  
Lambo2936

Ear Protection other than standard muffs?

Hey all. Been using a pair of Ryobi Ear muffs (They work with a rechargeable battery; lets me turn on/off/adjust the volume of speech, play music, etc. while wearing them) at the range, but am slightly annoyed that i can't wear my hat with them on, nevermind the general discomfort associated with wearing something heavier than my head. I've been trying to find something that works efficiently (i'd rather not lose my hearing) but that will also not be so bulky so that i can wear my hat. I dont wear eye pro as i have eyeglasses, so that isn't an issue. When i was shooting in the cold, i couldn't wear my arctic beanie, and now in the heat i can't wear a baseball cap. It's driving me nuts! I Was looking at the surefire EP line but there are multiple versions and i'm clueless. For under 15 bucks i thought it'd be worth trying, but don't know which to get. Any suggestions?

I can understand wanting something lighter....  but why can't you wear ear muffs over a baseball cap?

As far as not wearing eye protection because you wear glasses.....  I would reconsider that.....

http://www.esseyepro.com/rx

Popular Ear Muffs

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2

Wait, that website sells prescription sunglasses and stuff for only 70$? Does that include the lenses and all?
I have a pair of prescription oakleys that cost me like 300 bucks and they freakin suck. I have to fix them but even then, the prescription lenses on them are so susceptible to scratches its insane. Mine look like they were in an explosion.
I intended on getting another pair of the prescription safety glasses or something they offer, but was waiting until i go for another checkup (because screw going annually, who has that kinda money!) to get both normal glasses and the safety/sun glasses at the same time to save on one of their promos. If i can get my hands on a pair of rx from them for that cheap, i may just go get my eyes checked locally at my buddies fathers office or something and just order some glasses online. That's crazy cheap.

Also, they just dont fit right with the hat and all. I guess i just dont get a good seal on them with a hat on?
I have a small head, so nothing works as it should. I'll try and make it work next time im at the range, maybe this friday. IIRC last time i tried it wasn't sealing right and i ended up throwing my hat in the truck.

Doh, Nevermind. RX is another 115$. Around 200$ Sounds about right. May have to wait a bit before i can spring on a pair of something like that. I have to get my eyes checked and my glasses adjusted (hopefully this frame isn't crapping out, they keep falling off). If all is well, i'll probably pick up a pair.

Get the highest NRR rating you can afford, your ears will thank you. Get a set of Decibullz on Amazon and mold them to your ears and use a Howard Leight slim set of muffs

Yes 100%

I have the Decibullz custom molded ear plugs (Purchased from Amazon) - they're excellent.  Foam plugs will work in a pinch as long as you make sure they're inserted correctly.  I really like the Hearos Ultimate Softness plugs - again Amazon has them.  They're disposable and have a high NRR rating (NRR 32).  I also like the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs, but they do not do a good enough job by themselves indoors.  I would previously double up with the Hearos plugs, but now I've replaced them with the Decibullz.  

• Like 1

Personally, I use the Howard Leight Impact Sport most of the time.  If i'm shooting indoor, i add foam plugs under those (louder indoor than outdoor).  Recently, I purchased the aforementioned Decibullz and molded them to my ear..  Shot outdoor with only those in (rated up to 31 DB reduction) and they worked perfectly fine for outdoor pistol shooting. 

Also not sure why you say you cant put muffs over a baseball hat..  I wear nothing BUT baseball hats and i have never had an issue putting muffs over the hat (unless you're wearing something that sits 4" above your head). 

• Like 1

Personally, I use the Howard Leight Impact Sport most of the time.  If i'm shooting indoor, i add foam plugs under those (louder indoor than outdoor).

ear

Exactly, although I use the Howards outdoors, indoors I use foam plugs and over ear.

You never know if the person next to you will have a cannon.

I had a set of electronic muffs made by Peltor.  They were great and lasted a decade, even though I stored them in my car trunk year-round.  They were meant to be used by construction workers (think Jack-hammering).  They even had a female outlet to plug-in a PTT / VOX Headset radio.  Dry rot finally killed them, but the electronics were still FINE!

I received a gift from Shyanne Roberts in the form of a pair of Radians electronic muffs (a sponsor of hers).  They can be worn over a baseball cap, and behind the neck too (so they're popular with folks that wear hats, I.E.:  Cowboy Action, and reenactors of all time periods.  Radians weigh less than the Peltor and are rated the same.

Muffs are like shoes to me.  I like to try them on before I buy....

Yeah i think i might just have to pick up a different slimmer and lighter set.

The problem ive had with the muffs i use is that the top on each side rests on the hat, which results in a bad seal, therefore rendering the ear pro useless.

To be clear, i shoot outdoor only @ Range 14; indoor is of no issue to me. Ill have to play arounf with different muffs and stuff and see what works best. The ryobi ones i use (also for construction, duh, but they are all the same crap) are great, just heavy and bulky. My issue is i go with friends or the wifey so i have to be able to hear my surroundings, especially the RO, which is why i like the electronic ones; they are actually pretty damn effective. I keep em turned up and i can hear just as well with them on as off.

Anyhow, any suggestions as to where one can find a variety of muffs, or maybe a place to try some on? I dont think any gun shops like heritage would have too many. Neither would dicks, heritage has more crap than them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Tek4-Audio-Plus-Noise-Suppression-Headphones-RP4530/100671268

That's what i use. 38 decibel reduction. I might just try the decibullz and see how that will work. Not too worried about shooting my 22, its the big guns that worry me like my 3006 bolt or the 308 m1a i just picked up.
I'll have to see if i can't find better muffs, but i may just try the plugs instead... they seem so much more convenient. 

These are an acquired taste. They will seem loud, but they filter out all the damaging effects. This is probably about the best price that you'll find, but go to their website to learn about the science behind them. They are light and unobtrusive. You can wear them over your hat. There is clearance for eyeglass temples. You can hear range commands. For long gun shooters, they allow a proper cheek weld. No batteries to go dead. You can wear them all day in comfort.

I have used them indoors and out for over five years and they're great. Have converted several other friends.

http://www.amazon.com/SensGard-SG-31-Hearing-Protection-Device/dp/B001IMHSP4?ie=UTF8&keywords=sensgard%20nrr%2031%20hearing%20protectors&qid=1465329435&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I know exactly what you are tallying abiut with the baseball cap. I felt the same. Here is what I did. I made it a mission of mine to keep an eye out for a cap that was "minimalist". Baseball caps are HUGE they tuck under your ear at the top. I found a cap that does not come down that far. I can put muffs on and the hat and the hat bottom does not interfere with the muff seal

And to top it all off the picture on the cap is black Labrador Retriever. A hunting dog

I think ill experiment with high end plugs versus muffs, and if that fails i'll go with some sort of slimmer muff.
Pizzabob, thanks for the link. I'm going to look into those and the decibullz when i get the chance and pick one of the two up to try. Those look like a nice crossover between a muff and an ear plug.

I think ill experiment with high end plugs versus muffs, and if that fails i'll go with some sort of slimmer muff.

Pizzabob, thanks for the link. I'm going to look into those and the decibullz when i get the chance and pick one of the two up to try. Those look like a nice crossover between a muff and an ear plug.

No need for high end. I have a lot of earpro, and still nothing beats the EAR soft blasts 33NRR disposable plugs for comfort and protection. IF you need situational awareness on top of that, Howard leight electronic muffs on top of the plugs work very nicely.