frodfrodfrod

New guy needs your opinion

Hey guys so while I am waiting on my FID and PP (fingers crossed that will be soon) I am looking around at different shops through out NJ for a good price on a Glock 19. 

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on shops they like to go to or have just heard good things about that I can check out while I wait for my permit.

Also, what ranges do you guys like to shoot at and which would you recommend? Thanks!

Can't give you suggestions where to shoot because I'm in a different corner of the state, however drop "remixer" a PM as he is a vendor and FFL on this site that is located within your county and  is spoken highly of on this board.

• Like 1

Yeah check Steve out @ www.monmoutharms.com. He's close by in Marlboro and has a good selection. Definitely a great FFL to use for transfers and online orders. Another location you can look into is Howell Gun Works. They also have a nice selection as well.

Hows about the Sig P320? I prefer that over my G19. 

• Like 2

Can't give you suggestions where to shoot because I'm in a different corner of the state, however drop "remixer" a PM as he is a vendor and FFL on this site that is located within your county and is spoken highly of on this board.

Appreciate the suggestion I'll be sure to message him and see what he's got, thanks!

Yeah check Steve out @ www.monmoutharms.com. He's close by in Marlboro and has a good selection. Definitely a great FFL to use for transfers and online orders. Another location you can look into is Howell Gun Works. They also have a nice selection as well.

Hows about the Sig P320? I prefer that over my G19.

I've been hearing about Steve and actually emailed him the other day. I'll be sure to look into Howell gun works and check them out as well

What about the Sig do you like more? Im open to suggestions I know for a fact that I want a polymer striker fired pistol as my first hand gun. My list was narrowed down to G19, M&P 9, VP9 (kind of out of price range), and PPQ.

Thanks for your input!

These are some that are closest to you and all require membership and some sort of volunteer hours.

Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club http://www.obrpc.org/

Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club http://cjrpc.org/

Monmouth County Rifle & Pistol Club http://www.mcrpcnj.com/

Citizens Rifle & Revolver Club http://www.crrc.org/

Range 14 http://www.range-14.com/ Outdoors only limited days and now offers daily rates even though their yearly rate is only $60.00 check site for the details.

• Like 1

These are some that are closest to you and all require membership and some sort of volunteer hours.

Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club http://www.obrpc.org/

Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club http://cjrpc.org/

Monmouth County Rifle & Pistol Club http://www.mcrpcnj.com/

Citizens Rifle & Revolver Club http://www.crrc.org/

Range 14 http://www.range-14.com/ Outdoors only limited days and now offers daily rates even though their yearly rate is only $60.00 check site for the details.

Wow! I appreciate your research. I'm definitely going to check these ranges out once I get my firearm, thanks a lot!

I've been hearing about Steve and actually emailed him the other day. I'll be sure to look into Howell gun works and check them out as well

What about the Sig do you like more? Im open to suggestions I know for a fact that I want a polymer striker fired pistol as my first hand gun. My list was narrowed down to G19, M&P 9, VP9 (kind of out of price range), and PPQ.

Thanks for your input!

As my handle tells ya that was my first gun too. I didn't care for the trigger on the Glock so much but that's by design. It's double trigger design. The trigger on the Sig is alot smoother and also a wider surface area to place your finger on. Although my son loves it.

Stop by Steve's after work. I think he has 3 of the 4 guns in stock. He's usually there from 5:30pm -8pm at the latest. Closed Wed & Sun. 

As my handle tells ya that was my first gun too. I didn't care for the trigger on the Glock so much but that's by design. It's double trigger design. The trigger on the Sig is alot smoother and also a wider surface area to place your finger on. Although my son loves it.

Stop by Steve's after work. I think he has 3 of the 4 guns in stock. He's usually there from 5:30pm -8pm at the latest. Closed Wed & Sun.

Everyone has personal preference I'll make sure to check the Sig out as well. I'm going to stop by Steve's too, do you know if you're allowed to hold a gun while waiting for FID/PP or do you need to have all your paperwork before fully paying for the pistol?

I have shot the G19..  Not my favorite gun, but unfortunately I shoot it fairly well and may own one in the future, but...   I own a VP9 (it is my favorite gun at this point) and I also own a Sig P320 Compact (only shot it once, so my opinion is limited - but it is a nice gun also).   PPQ is similar to the VP9 in feel and function, with maybe only a slightly better trigger (and i mean slightly).  Magazines for the G19 are BY FAR cheaper than mags for any of the other 3 mentioned.  Like to the tune of 50% cheaper.  Honestly, you just have to handle them all and see what feels right for you, as they are all quality guns and can't really go wrong on any of them. 

Steve @ Monmouth Arms is my go-to guy..   Always finds me what I need, very competitive pricing and usually pretty close to online prices after all is said and done (once you include shipping, transfer & NICS to the price of an online gun)..

You can certainly handle guns at MA, and you can certainly pay for a gun before having all your paperwork back (and he will hold for you until the paperwork comes in).  

• Like 2

First of all welcome to the forum!

I am in Monmouth County as well and have been doing this for a while, I have dealt with some great vendors over the years.  Here are a few highlights.

Steve from Monmouth Arms - excellent

Jack from JT Custom Guns- also excellent

George from Plumsted Arms- Excellent

Howell Gun Works on Rt 9 - Great experiences

I also frequent Cheyenne Mt Outfitters, more for bows than guns but they usually have a good selection and ammo prices are decent when on sale

Occasionally stop at the Sportsman's Center on Rt 130 in Bordentown, nice bunch of guys but their inventory has been shrinking, still have a few good bow techs

For ammo I usually buy online or stop at Tanner's in PA when I work in that area.

As for gun ranges I used to be a member at Ft Dix's Range 14.  Good range but the hours were limited, if you only plan on shooting a few times a year it is a great choice.  I joined CJRPC a couple of years ago and live it.  If you want to try it out I can guest you in.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

• Like 1

Honestly - between the guns you listed, get the PPQ - phenomenal trigger and smooth accurate shooting gun.  Its reliable, stylish looking, watch Hickok45's video on it - he's a Glock guy and makes no bias but he really has trouble deciding between his Glock or the PPQ to carry.

However, out of all the guns you listed, the M&P9 is the most wallet friendly BY FAR ($450 or so)- nothing wrong with an American made S&W either - the 17 round mags will need to be modified however.

The Sig 320 is great but if you have larger or smaller hands and the gun does not fit your hands well out of the box you would need to buy a larger or smaller grip module for it - which is $40 from Sig.  Also the modular platform is great but if you buy it for that feature honestly after you buy say a Subcompact conversion plus additional smaller mags you'd have enough money invested to buy another gun.

The PPQ, VP9, Glock 19 have backstraps and side panels to tailor the fit for a shooter's hands.

Steve @ MA has the PPQ for $590 as well as the Sig 320 ($575) and the G19 ($545), go try out all 3 and buy the one you want and have him hold it for you.

Personally I will be getting a PPQ in .45ACP probably by August/September just because I shot one in 9mm and its amazing and the only .45 I have is my 1911 so I need to add another .45 in order to justify buying 1k rounds at a time LOL

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

• Like 1

I have shot the G19..  Not my favorite gun, but unfortunately I shoot it fairly well and may own one in the future, but...   I own a VP9 (it is my favorite gun at this point) and I also own a Sig P320 Compact (only shot it once, so my opinion is limited - but it is a nice gun also).   PPQ is similar to the VP9 in feel and function, with maybe only a slightly better trigger (and i mean slightly).  Magazines for the G19 are BY FAR cheaper than mags for any of the other 3 mentioned.  Like to the tune of 50% cheaper.  Honestly, you just have to handle them all and see what feels right for you, as they are all quality guns and can't really go wrong on any of them. 

Steve @ Monmouth Arms is my go-to guy..   Always finds me what I need, very competitive pricing and usually pretty close to online prices after all is said and done (once you include shipping, transfer & NICS to the price of an online gun)..

You can certainly handle guns at MA, and you can certainly pay for a gun before having all your paperwork back (and he will hold for you until the paperwork comes in).  

Thanks for the info people always tell me that glock 19's aren't the best but almost everyone has them because of how reliable they are and how well they shoot. Not to mention they have the most aftermarket modification parts on the planet haha.

I am going to stop into MA today or tomorrow and get a feel for the guns and possibly make a purchase. With so many options I definitely need to feel them in hand and get a better idea. Thanks again!

First of all welcome to the forum!

I am in Monmouth County as well and have been doing this for a while, I have dealt with some great vendors over the years.  Here are a few highlights.

Steve from Monmouth Arms - excellent

Jack from JT Custom Guns- also excellent

George from Plumsted Arms- Excellent

Howell Gun Works on Rt 9 - Great experiences

I also frequent Cheyenne Mt Outfitters, more for bows than guns but they usually have a good selection and ammo prices are decent when on sale

Occasionally stop at the Sportsman's Center on Rt 130 in Bordentown, nice bunch of guys but their inventory has been shrinking, still have a few good bow techs

For ammo I usually buy online or stop at Tanner's in PA when I work in that area.

As for gun ranges I used to be a member at Ft Dix's Range 14.  Good range but the hours were limited, if you only plan on shooting a few times a year it is a great choice.  I joined CJRPC a couple of years ago and live it.  If you want to try it out I can guest you in.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Once I get my firearm I will hold you to that guest pass haha! I was looking into Howell Gun Works as well I heard some good things about their shop and customer service.

So far almost everyone has pointed me toward Steve at Monmouth Arms so I am going to try and take a ride today or tomorrow to check out some pistols. Ill keep everyone updated on how it goes!

• Like 1

glocks are crap get the PPQ! 

Honestly - between the guns you listed, get the PPQ - phenomenal trigger and smooth accurate shooting gun.  Its reliable, stylish looking, watch Hickok45's video on it - he's a Glock guy and makes no bias but he really has trouble deciding between his Glock or the PPQ to carry.

However, out of all the guns you listed, the M&P9 is the most wallet friendly BY FAR ($450 or so)- nothing wrong with an American made S&W either - the 17 round mags will need to be modified however.

The Sig 320 is great but if you have larger or smaller hands and the gun does not fit your hands well out of the box you would need to buy a larger or smaller grip module for it - which is $40 from Sig.  Also the modular platform is great but if you buy it for that feature honestly after you buy say a Subcompact conversion plus additional smaller mags you'd have enough money invested to buy another gun.

The PPQ, VP9, Glock 19 have backstraps and side panels to tailor the fit for a shooter's hands.

Steve @ MA has the PPQ for $590 as well as the Sig 320 ($575) and the G19 ($545), go try out all 3 and buy the one you want and have him hold it for you.

Personally I will be getting a PPQ in .45ACP probably by August/September just because I shot one in 9mm and its amazing and the only .45 I have is my 1911 so I need to add another .45 in order to justify buying 1k rounds at a time LOL

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

I honestly think its between the G19 and PPQ right now. I won't know for sure until I stop into the shop and have them in my hands. I plan on going today or tomorrow to Monmouth Arms and check them out. If I like one more than the other I will probably end of buying it that day. Then I have to wait :shout: Thanks for the help ill keep you guys updated!

If you can spring the 45-50 bucks extra I'd definitely do the PPQ ---- let us know what you end up with!

<<<says the guy who just bought a G19 today LOL

However like I said I will have a PPQ in the future I just want a .45ACP - I bought the G19 now because I'll be adding a G26 in the future and want the "Glock system" in 9mm so to speak - I don't have any .40S&W handguns, 10mm, etc, just .38/.357 revolvers, my 1911, and now my Glock, so I'm trying to keep myself at 3 calibers currently for all my guns - and although I wouldn't hesitate to buy a .45ACP Glock I thought it would be more special to get a PPQ in 45 - and leave my Glocks to be all 9mm :)

If you can spring the 45-50 bucks extra I'd definitely do the PPQ ---- let us know what you end up with!

<<<says the guy who just bought a G19 today LOL

However like I said I will have a PPQ in the future I just want a .45ACP - I bought the G19 now because I'll be adding a G26 in the future and want the "Glock system" in 9mm so to speak - I don't have any .40S&W handguns, 10mm, etc, just .38/.357 revolvers, my 1911, and now my Glock, so I'm trying to keep myself at 3 calibers currently for all my guns - and although I wouldn't hesitate to buy a .45ACP Glock I thought it would be more special to get a PPQ in 45 - and leave my Glocks to be all 9mm :)

Ever since I started researching 9mm pistols and looking through videos and articles about double-action/single-action/striker fired hand guns, its always been the G19 that caught my eye and interested me the most. Why? I'm not really sure but there's something about it that kinda makes me want it more. It might just be the simplicity and the endless comments of praise and reliability of the gun I'm not sure. However I don't want to rule out amazing guns like the PPQ until I feel them in hand so I guess we'll see what happens. If the PPQ feels better I won't hesitate to spend the extra 50-60 bucks.

I think you keeping your glocks 9mm and having the "Glock system" is a cool idea and if you ever wanted a 45 Glock they'll always be there. Let me know how your shooting goes with the G19 and when you get the PPQ 45 cause that guns got to be so fun to shoot. Appreciate your thoughts and again I'll keep you updated!

• Like 1

No worries man and you're right about a G19 being a staple of any firearms collection - chances are, I'll be honest, whatever you buy now, you'll probably buy the other one in a few months, year, etc, whenever the wallet allows - I had a friend who put it to me this way -

"Glock (19 in this example) vs. Sig (P320 Compact) vs. Walther (PPQ)?"

The answer is always - YES - you can't go wrong with whatever you choose.  Looking forward to hearing with what you decide and your impressions on each!  Hickok45 did phenomenal videos on both your choices, re-watch them a few times for sure -  The PPQ 45 might be my election day present to myself, I haven't decided yet LOL

• Like 1

No worries man and you're right about a G19 being a staple of any firearms collection - chances are, I'll be honest, whatever you buy now, you'll probably buy the other one in a few months, year, etc, whenever the wallet allows - I had a friend who put it to me this way -

The answer is always - YES - you can't go wrong with whatever you choose. Looking forward to hearing with what you decide and your impressions on each! Hickok45 did phenomenal videos on both your choices, re-watch them a few times for sure - The PPQ 45 might be my election day present to myself, I haven't decided yet LOL

You're right I honestly feel like I'll eventually own all these guns right now it's just which one I want first haha. Obviously it's more important because buying guns is expensive and our state isn't very 2A friendly where we can buy multiple guns a month but either way I'm sure down the road I will own all of these guns.

I'm actually a big fan of hickok45 and have watched both videos but I'm still going to go back and watch again. Even though he is a huge Glock guy he has great unbiased reviews of all firearms so I respect his opinion a lot.

Hope you get the PPQ 45 and have a lot of fun with it. Find any excuse to get a present for yourself haha!

Once I get my firearm I will hold you to that guest pass haha! I was looking into Howell Gun Works as well I heard some good things about their shop and customer service.

So far almost everyone has pointed me toward Steve at Monmouth Arms so I am going to try and take a ride today or tomorrow to check out some pistols. Ill keep everyone updated on how it goes!

Steve is great, he will not steer you wrong.

• Like 1

I bought my m&p shield from Steve as well, great guy. If you are looking at the M&P full size I would recommend the .40 (it also has changeable backstraps). You can get a 9mm conversion barrel and just buy 9mm mags. The mags and barrel are all you need to switch between caliber's. Just so you are aware, it doesnt work the other way arohnd, if you buy the 9mm, you can't run .40. Good luck.

The answer is always - YES - you can't go wrong with whatever you choose.  Looking forward to hearing with what you decide and your impressions on each!  Hickok45 did phenomenal videos on both your choices, re-watch them a few times for sure -  The PPQ 45 might be my election day present to myself, I haven't decided yet LOL

OP don't tell us you only applied for ONE P2P permit?!?!? 

OP don't tell us you only applied for ONE P2P permit?!?!?

Yeah only one and trust me people told me I should have gotten 2 or 3 after the fact but to be honest I would not be able to afford to buy 2 or 3 even with the 90 day extension. I'm okay with 1 for now and maybe end of summer I will apply for more. Still kicking myself for not asking around before filling out my app though

Yeah only one and trust me people told me I should have gotten 2 or 3 after the fact but to be honest I would not be able to afford to buy 2 or 3 even with the 90 day extension. I'm okay with 1 for now and maybe end of summer I will apply for more. Still kicking myself for not asking around before filling out my app though

Ummm not to bust yer chops but with the 90 day extension u would be good till the end of the year! But do make it a point to grab at least THREE permits each time. It's cheaper and less painful to have them ready and extended. Everyone here can definitely agree. It's not whether u will use them or not but having them if need be!

I was a bit overzealous when I got my first set of permits. I got 6 at once just cause I could. End of the day I used 4 of them and the remaining 2 expired.

You shall learn grasshopper! LOL.

Ummm not to bust yer chops but with the 90 day extension u would be good till the end of the year! But do make it a point to grab at least THREE permits each time. It's cheaper and less painful to have them ready and extended. Everyone here can definitely agree. It's not whether u will use them or not but having them if need be!

I was a bit overzealous when I got my first set of permits. I got 6 at once just cause I could. End of the day I used 4 of them and the remaining 2 expired.

You shall learn grasshopper! LOL.

No offense taken haha I'm a new guy so I have a lot to learn. From now on I'll make sure to at least get 3 I appreciate your advice! Anything else I should know that is a MUST for gun buyers in NJ?!

Find out which sites to source for ammo. Buy in bulk to maximize cost of shipping or capitalize on free or close to free shipping. I use Cabela's so no tax and also usually $5.00 shipping which is awesome for 1000 rounds at a time. Also buy on sale and stock up. I'm sure you will pick up alot from other forum members as well. If you are ever interested in checking out CRRC lemme know if you don't mind shooting late.