Ricky_Bobby

What do you guys do with your "Cable Gun Locks"

You know, those weird looking things that come with our guns?

-Do you just toss them in a dark corner somewhere LOL

-Do you toss them in the trash because Murrica
-Do you actually use them?  If so, for what, interstate transport?

I just realized I never even unwrapped the 3-4 that I do have.

I keep one in the glove box of my truck and one in the safe - just in case I need to secure something. The rest get chucked. I have never used one*.

ETA: *I just remembered that's not true - I used one once to secure a pistol in my trunk during a training for work where we couldn't bring our pistols in the building. I went out an bought a LifeJacket: http://www.mseworldwide.com/lifejacket/lj2.html

Immediately afterwards for storage situations like that. The cable lock stays to lend out to other less prepared people.

• Like 1

I remember a dealer telling me he had a regular customer who was a contractor. The contractor had enough of them that he would lock them together end-to-end and use them to lock down extension ladders so they wouldn't get stolen from job sites.

The story stuck in my head because it was the first practical use I'd heard for them.

I keep one in the glove box of my truck and one in the safe - just in case I need to secure something. The rest get chucked. I have never used one*.

ETA: *I just remembered that's not true - I used one once to secure a pistol in my trunk during a training for work where we couldn't bring our pistols in the building. I went out an bought a LifeJacket: http://www.mseworldwide.com/lifejacket/lj2.html

Immediately afterwards for storage situations like that. The cable lock stays to lend out to other less prepared people.

I like those LifeJackets, good idea!  Yeah I always wondered if anyone actually used them, I can't see needing more than 1 or 2 max.

I use em on my m1a. The bag for it doesnt lock, and thats the next best thing i suppose. Or if im leaving town for a while i put em on all my rifles just to piss off a thief that manages to get into the safe lol

I use em on my m1a. The bag for it doesnt lock, and thats the next best thing i suppose. Or if im leaving town for a while i put em on all my rifles just to piss off a thief that manages to get into the safe lol

You mean the one that just opens right up?  :maninlove:

So I'm the only one that is overly conservative and uses them whenever I transport, just to be safe along with them in a locked case (for my handguns) and locked up ammo ammo cans?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes. They are basura

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

So I'm the only one that is overly conservative and uses them whenever I transport, just to be safe along with them in a locked case (for my handguns) and locked up ammo ammo cans?

Safe from what? Yourself?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

I also lock up everything when traveling. I just don't use these locks but padlocks on my cases. It is OK to follow the letter of the law even if no one else does.

I've only ever used 1 --  I'm an irrigation contractor -- I had a controller in a Jewish Temple that kept getting screwed with -- this controller was deep in a storage room,  not accessible to very many people

The building manager asked me to lock the controller -- Instead of changing out the whole unit for a lockable one, I drilled a hole in the case and wrapped a cable gun lock around a nearby pipe and thru the hole in the cover of the controller

Never to be tampered with again...

• Like 1

Some of my tools  in cases that cost a bit more, or are a little delicate, like the Rotating Lazer, get them put on to keep prying eyes out when they get left on jobsites, not too often I admit.

I also string them together for a clothesline for my delicate undies. :onthequiet: