ricksanchez

Remington Rand 1911A1 1944

Hello Folks,

I just got in my possession a beatup US Army 1911A1. It needs some TLC and I am looking for parts. Problem is I'm not really a 1911 guy. When looking around I see mention of series 70, series 80, pre-series 70. I have no idea what parts to get! Is anyone familiar with these guns that could point me in the right direction?

The plunger tube, spring and pins are all busted and definitely need replacing. The ejector seems like it is missing. The firing pin doesn't look like it is long enough to actually strike a primer. I didn't break it down any further but I suspect there may be some other springs I want to replace.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Don't do anything to the finish. An original beat up finish on a GI 45 is worth more than a nice new parkerizing. Do a little research on values taking into account the condition of yours. You may be surprised.

I'll add a "pretty please" to the don't change the finish.  Wipe it down with some oil and keep it as is.  It's beautiful like that.

Congratulations.

I only have a few pics right now and they aren't that good, but I put them below. I'll have some more pics over the weekend. As for the finish, it's got rust spots on it so something needs to be done with it. It also has some spots where the finish is gouged away and the steel is exposed. Looks like someone dropped it or beat the hell out of it with a tool/vise. The barrel is a high standard and was filled with rust. Managed to brush the rust out and it looks passable, no pitting. You can see the smashed plunger tube on the 2nd pic.

DtJtol7.png

HlYi0pw.png

So here it is in it's current state. I took it out and fired it today and it seems to be working, extraction and ejection is good. I was only able to fire single shots today as when I was reassembling it I noticed that the lock tab had broken off the mag release lock. Once that part comes in i'll test out how it feeds but so far I am happy with it. I need to decide to what to do with the finish.

B1nIVqm.png

• Like 1

No, that is the frame in the condition that I received it, idiot scratch included. I did strip the finish from the slide as it was in really bad condition, lots of rust spots on one side. It may be hard to see in the picture but it's a dark greenish color, it may have been original I don't know. I'm thinking of just getting the whole thing refinished but not quite sure what to do yet. It may be really difficult to match the slide to the frame but i'm not against a two tone gun either. Anyone have any suggestions?