Averagejoeshmo

New guy in Jackson looking for advice

Hello, I'm new to the forum, I put in my paperwork in Jackson 4/25/16 3 p2p and fid.i started out thinking I would get something cheap, but that didn't last long .now I'm looking at a cz75b, rock island armory 1911, smith and Wesson 22 victory, beretta 92fs,Tanfoglio steel eaa witness,ruger mark 3. And there may be a couple more.

The longer I have to wait for these permits the more I add to the list. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

welcome and congrats on getting your first. To pile on your list, get a 357 revo too! can shoot powerful magnums or soft 38's. Part of gun ownership is figuring out what to get, and hopefully trying before buying, have fun.

I don't know about the rest, but the Ruger, CZ and 92fs are good choices for a reliable gun. It really breaks down to what feels comfortable to you and what you plan to use it for. I personally think everyone should have a .22, just because they are fun and great training handguns. For a home defense gun, not so much.

Try before you buy. Many ranges rent them so you can get an idea how they feel to you.

Hello, I'm new to the forum, I put in my paperwork in Jackson 4/25/16 3 p2p and fid.i started out thinking I would get something cheap, but that didn't last long .now I'm looking at a cz75b, rock island armory 1911, smith and Wesson 22 victory, beretta 92fs,Tanfoglio steel eaa witness,ruger mark 3. And there may be a couple more.

The longer I have to wait for these permits the more I add to the list. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello from an X-Jacksontonian.

When I got my first permit in Jackson about 1990 they had a Public Safety Director who was Pro-Gun and if you went in a talked to him you would have your permit in a few days. Even back then that was awesome. 

A short time after that they hired an Illiterate young woman who was a relative of an Anti-Gun nut and she would just take applications and throw them right in the trash in front of you. She had a title of Identification Bureau Chief. She tried to implement the form where you had to list the SS numbers and ID of everyone who lived in your home and would do a check on them. I was one of the few who forced the stop of that.

They had a republican woman mayor(appointed) who was crooked as h*ll and I worked endlessly to get rid of her, her son would run my mailbox over regularly and the law refused to ever even charge him at her request. She was short lived in Jackson. The next mayor wasn't much better, knew him and was just as crooked and from what I hear they have had mayorial problems ever since. I finally left the state in 2002.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can never go wrong with a 1911, most will shoot forever with little problems.

I have a Ruger Mark 1 from the 50's that still shoots perfectly so that's a good choice.

I really like revolvers though and kind of always lean back to Rugers SA.

Good Luck!

Welcome from close by Millstone!  My first gun was a S&W 686 - .357 mag, I purchased it as soon as I turned 21, now 30+ years later it is still my favorite gun to shoot.  I also have a RIA M1911 in 9 mm as well as a few others.

I have an SR22, which gets shot more than any other gun, primarily for new people I bring to the range and the wife & kids.

Good luck, you will find a tremendous amount of knowledge, and opinions on this site!

Hmmm maybe 6 permits might have been feasible with that many choices first time around. The only limit other than the permits is the wallet.  No Glocks or Sigs? Welcome aboard too.

What's wrong with Glocks?

I for years wanted one just to see how they shoot. I finally bought a used old 1st gen G-30 that was pretty dirty, cleaned it up and if you reload had some issues with length for HP's but this is one of the nicest shooting Semi-Auto I own, smooth and very accurate. I even spent about $30.00 in upgrades and is now my carry gun.

3 Permits?

S&W 686+ 4" (+ = 7 shot)

1911 Full Size (I like the Remington R1S)

Glock 17 Gen4 (or 19)

That should do it.

Oh, and no need to waste a permit on a 22lr pistol. There are 22lr conversion kits available for the 1911 and Glock.

• Like 1

I don't know about the rest, but the Ruger, CZ and 92fs are good choices for a reliable gun. It really breaks down to what feels comfortable to you and what you plan to use it for. I personally think everyone should have a .22, just because they are fun and great training handguns. For a home defense gun, not so much.

Try before you buy. Many ranges rent them so you can get an idea how they feel to you.

I second this.  I own both a CZ and a Beretta and they are both excellent guns.  The best thing that you could do for yourself is to go to a range and rent a couple and see how they fit.  You'll likely find that you shoot a little better with some rather than others.

Hello from an X-Jacksontonian.

When I got my first permit in Jackson about 1990 they had a Public Safety Director who was Pro-Gun and if you went in a talked to him you would have your permit in a few days. Even back then that was awesome.

A short time after that they hired an Illiterate young woman who was a relative of an Anti-Gun nut and she would just take applications and throw them right in the trash in front of you. She had a title of Identification Bureau Chief. She tried to implement the form where you had to list the SS numbers and ID of everyone who lived in your home and would do a check on them. I was one of the few who forced the stop of that.

They had a republican woman mayor(appointed) who was crooked as h*ll and I worked endlessly to get rid of her, her son would run my mailbox over regularly and the law refused to ever even charge him at her request. She was short lived in Jackson. The next mayor wasn't much better, knew him and was just as crooked and from what I hear they have had mayorial problems ever since. I finally left the state in 2002.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackson limit is 3 and I'm not sure how easy it is to get them extended

Well if u stay on track and are able to start using the P2Ps as soon as you get them you could theoretically get 4 guns within 90 days. In your case 3 guns since only 3 P2Ps anyways. There would be no need to extend but you would go broke in the process of using all your permits in a timely fashion. If the cash is the deciding factor then I would recommend getting your last P2P extended so this way you can spread the load.

Word of advise if you see what you like from an FFL pay for it now and get it as soon as you get the permits so that the 30 days start counting down after the first transaction. If you are able to pick up the 2nd one immediately after the 1st 30 days then make sure you decide what you want and have it delivered to your FFL prior to the 30 days you don't waste any time. Sorry but its gonna hurt either way.

Not to name drop but are you looking at any FFLs locally? If not then give Steve @ www.monmoutharms.com a shot. He's in Marlboro and he has a retail location with a decent selection to choose from. Another that I've been to is Howell Gunworks in Howell. Both are on Route 9 and both have great reviews. I've been using Steve for all my transactions. 

Oh and yes any of these are great choices too. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions they all are great guns but as someone else mentioned not all will work for you. 

Glock 19

Sig P226 or P320C

Beretta 92FS

Kimber or Colt 1911

S & W revolver

Ruger Mark III

CZ 75B

Definitely recommend Steve at Monmouth Arms. As for what to buy I am partial to the older stuff. Would get a

Beretta 96 .40 can be found under $400

Ruger Service Six 4" .357 around $450 or MR73 Allen's Armory has French Gendarmerie Surplus for around $750

You won't find a better made .357 near the price of those Revolvers. Service Six was used by NJSP and French Gendarmerie still use Manurhin MR73 both are elite law enforcement. Good enough for them good enough for me.

and if you want a 9mm get a

P38 either a shooter grade WWII $600 or West German Police Model $450 or Makarov 9mm $300.

As far as I am concerned the older firearms were just made better. You could use all 3 permits and spend $1,200-$1,750.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Will do, remixer as soon as the permits come in.

I hope I'll still be young enough to make it up the stairs by the time I get them.

Figure you should be able to get yourself one for Christmas.

Will do, remixer as soon as the permits come in.

I hope I'll still be young enough to make it up the stairs by the time I get them.

Ill let my son know (4 Yo) ... you might be dealing with him by then :)

Figure you should be able to get yourself one for Christmas.

Joy joy!