rsa

Question about state residence

Hi,

I recently declared Florida as my primary state residence. I still have my NJ residence so I'm officially a "Snowbird" for better or worse. My NJ Firearms ID Card has the correct NJ address. If I purchase a long gun are they going to give me grief when I present my Florida drivers license with my NJ Fireams ID?

Thanks.....

Hi,

I recently declared Florida as my primary state residence. I still have my NJ residence so I'm officially a "Snowbird" for better or worse. My NJ Firearms ID Card has the correct NJ address. If I purchase a long gun are they going to give me grief when I present my Florida drivers license with my NJ Fireams ID?

Thanks.....

Yes but they will be wrong.  I have a Florida D/L and have posted on this topic at least 3 times in great detail.  Just search this forum.

Yes but they will be wrong.  I have a Florida D/L and have posted on this topic at least 3 times in great detail.  Just search this forum.

OK Thanks. Found it.  If anyone else is interested it's covered in this thread:

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/81438-out-of-state-summer-home-gun-question/

Excellent but some FFL's still won't deal with you. Most will. Up by me Ottomanelli's will, Gun For Hire will, RTSP won't, Tier One Defense will.

As long as your NJ address has not changed, go to the NJ DMV and report your license lost. They will give you a new card.

'

Only allowed to have one d/l. In fact you cannot even get the NJ state ID card as it requires surrender of the d/l that you have regardless of state.

As long as your NJ address has not changed, go to the NJ DMV and report your license lost. They will give you a new card.

That's not the issue. I have a valid NJ Firearms ID card with the current address that I still own.  My understanding now is that a drivers license is not required, just some other form of ID. I am trying to contact the FFL I choose to see if he understands this.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this as well. I think if you have more than one residence you can use any photo Government ID without an address(Like a passport/TWIC, etc.)  and then show tax papers/utility bills for the address. Not sure but hopefully soon I'll see if it works.

'

Only allowed to have one d/l. In fact you cannot even get the NJ state ID card as it requires surrender of the d/l that you have regardless of state.

I had two no sweat. Moved out of state and surrendered NJ license. Move back to NJ before the NJ license expired. I went to DMV and filled out the replacement request card. I checked "yes" for the box that said "are you licensed to drive in another state." No one cared. This was way pre Sept 11 though.

I had two no sweat. Moved out of state and surrendered NJ license. Move back to NJ before the NJ license expired. I went to DMV and filled out the replacement request card. I checked "yes" for the box that said "are you licensed to drive in another state." No one cared. This was way pre Sept 11 though.

You are in violation of the realID act. Particularly violating 1028(d) of title 18 which I think is a federal crime. If you get busted wave bye-bye to your guns.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1028

Ive had no issue getting guns legally in NJ using my FL DL and NJ FPID.

I would not put it out on the internet that I was violating the federal real ID act.

I would just get an OOS FID. I want one but don't want to deal with NJ BS as a free citizen.

Then you can't buy and take delivery of a pistol. Just follow the law as I laid out and you can do everything you used to do with your NJ d/l. Some don't know the law but most do. I've only been denied at RTSP but no issues at Ottomanelli's, GFH or Tier One Defense.

Read the form, follow the law and you can buy legally in any state you reside regardless which one you choose to keep a d/l from.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this as well. I think if you have more than one residence you can use any photo Government ID without an address(Like a passport/TWIC, etc.) and then show tax papers/utility bills for the address. Not sure but hopefully soon I'll see if it works.

Follow link in post 4. If you don't follow PM me and I'll give you my phone number and explain it. I have a FL DL for over a year and bought a dozen long guns and pistols in NJ since then.

You are in violation of the realID act.

I would not put it out on the internet that I was violating the federal real ID act.

It's possible that you were not even born yet the last time I gave a crap about a federal law. I didn't lie on the application - I told them I had another out of state license. They chose to give me one. NSA come get me!

The Real ID act came after 9/11.  In another post you told them it was lost or directed another poster to say it was lost, which they shouldn't do.

It's possible that you were not even born yet the last time I gave a crap about a federal law. NSA come get me!

It would most likely be the FBI, but that's not important.  I'm no one's conscience but I'd not jump up and down on an open internet forum about how I am breaking a federal law.  You of course are entitled to do as you please.  I am not my brother's keeper.  

I pledge to begin following federal law just as soon as the government and certain presidential candidates start doing so.

Like I said before you can do what you want when you want.

Well I was finally able to contact the FFL where my rifle is to be delivered. I explained my situation and he indicated there would be no problem at all. So, I guess it depends if your FFL dealer is knowledgable or not.

• Like 1

You are in violation of the realID act. Particularly violating 1028(d) of title 18 which I think is a federal crime. If you get busted wave bye-bye to your guns.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1028

Ive had no issue getting guns legally in NJ using my FL DL and NJ FPID.

Who is in violation?  Handyman, or the agency that issues the NJ DL after he checked off on being licensed to drive in another state?

IANAL, but it seems like the question is there to help regular people (not lawyers) comply with the law.  If the citizen applies in good faith and is honest on the form, I would hope the onus would be on the agency.  Why even have the question if they just ignore it?

Who is in violation? Handyman, or the agency that issues the NJ DL after he checked off on being licensed to drive in another state?

IANAL, but it seems like the question is there to help regular people (not lawyers) comply with the law. If the citizen applies in good faith and is honest on the form, I would hope the onus would be on the agency. Why even have the question if they just ignore it?

I'm not a lawyer either but I posted the link to the Real ID act. The purpose of asking if you are licensed drive in another state is so that you don't have to take a road test. I've heard people have had to taken written tests but I don't now true that is. Also, Handyman appears to state he did this pre-2001 and then directed the other poster to lie and say it was lost. Does that appear to be ok?

The Reak ID act came much later and state conformance even after that. Some states held out until they were threatened to lose money for road repair--the same thing the government did when they wanted all the states to raise the drinking age to 21. Perhaps Handyman can clarify when he received his second license--I gathered my assumption based on his posts.

Moreover when I received my FL DL last year they wanted to see my NJ DL to prove I can drive in another state. My sense is NJ would do the same if applying for an initial license. When I gave the DMV my license in FL DL they gave me my new license and kept the old one. If I wanted it back they would have punched s hole in it. I told them to keep it. Last yer when I thought I'd have s problem I called the DMV in Trenton and they confirmed I could neither have a NJ DL or NJ state ID without surrendering my out of state license. In other words to maintain both I'd have to lie and so no I am not licensed to drive. I could then get an ID card or take the written and road test and get a DL. All illegal based on my lie that I am not licensed to drive in another state.

Two pionts ignorance is no excuse when breaking the law and knowingly lying to the DMV agent is showing that you know what you are doing is wrong. And since I just did this a year ago I know they won't give you a new DL unless you can prove you had one somewhere else. That's accomplished by showing them that DL and them keeping it or altering it to show its invalid. So post enforecement of the Real ID act I don't believe you can "check the box" and say yeah I have a license elsewhere without giving it up.

Look at post #6 where Handyman instructs someone to lie about the status of their license. I don't know if you activate a DL in one state if it systematically becomes invalid in another. Thinking of how DMV computers work probably not.

Then look at post #11 where Handyman then says he did it pre-9/11. I am only assuming pre 2001 as part of 9-11. At that point in time it was legal.

So briefly the onus is probably always in you to know what you're getting into. If you apply in good faith in a form that wouldn't include lying and saying you lost your license in the state you are trying to get a second one in. They have the question so they don't retest you. You then have to prove it by showing them your current license at which point you'll surrender it. I'm thinking Handyman's situation isn't valid any longer because checking the box won't have the same outcome as before. I try to know what I'm getting into and not be dependent on some unhappy agent who doesn't want to be there making a mistake. Again, I'm no lawyer but how would,you prove the agent messed up some time in the past?

You can google real ID act or just can I have D/Ls and read away.

Yes. But it is perfectly legal to do so.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Good to know if I ever get a move out of state but keep my NJ home. Thanks guys.

I'm not a lawyer either but I posted the link to the Real ID act. The purpose of asking if you are licensed drive in another state is so that you don't have to take a road test. I've heard people have had to taken written tests but I don't now true that is. Also, Handyman appears to state he did this pre-2001 and then directed the other poster to lie and say it was lost. Does that appear to be ok?

The Reak ID act came much later and state conformance even after that. Some states held out until they were threatened to lose money for road repair--the same thing the government did when they wanted all the states to raise the drinking age to 21. Perhaps Handyman can clarify when he received his second license--I gathered my assumption based on his posts.

Moreover when I received my FL DL last year they wanted to see my NJ DL to prove I can drive in another state. My sense is NJ would do the same if applying for an initial license. When I gave the DMV my license in FL DL they gave me my new license and kept the old one. If I wanted it back they would have punched s hole in it. I told them to keep it. Last yer when I thought I'd have s problem I called the DMV in Trenton and they confirmed I could neither have a NJ DL or NJ state ID without surrendering my out of state license. In other words to maintain both I'd have to lie and so no I am not licensed to drive. I could then get an ID card or take the written and road test and get a DL. All illegal based on my lie that I am not licensed to drive in another state.

Two pionts ignorance is no excuse when breaking the law and knowingly lying to the DMV agent is showing that you know what you are doing is wrong. And since I just did this a year ago I know they won't give you a new DL unless you can prove you had one somewhere else. That's accomplished by showing them that DL and them keeping it or altering it to show its invalid. So post enforecement of the Real ID act I don't believe you can "check the box" and say yeah I have a license elsewhere without giving it up.

Look at post #6 where Handyman instructs someone to lie about the status of their license. I don't know if you activate a DL in one state if it systematically becomes invalid in another. Thinking of how DMV computers work probably not.

Then look at post #11 where Handyman then says he did it pre-9/11. I am only assuming pre 2001 as part of 9-11. At that point in time it was legal.

So briefly the onus is probably always in you to know what you're getting into. If you apply in good faith in a form that wouldn't include lying and saying you lost your license in the state you are trying to get a second one in. They have the question so they don't retest you. You then have to prove it by showing them your current license at which point you'll surrender it. I'm thinking Handyman's situation isn't valid any longer because checking the box won't have the same outcome as before. I try to know what I'm getting into and not be dependent on some unhappy agent who doesn't want to be there making a mistake. Again, I'm no lawyer but how would,you prove the agent messed up some time in the past?

You can google real ID act or just can I have D/Ls and read away.

I totally agree that obtaining the license under false pretenses is not legal, or moral.  So I would not support the suggestion to say he lost it.  My only point was that Handyman may not have broken the law with his replacement license.

When I moved to NJ in 1994 they confiscated my FL license (I know, I moved the wrong way), they would not even punch a hole in it and allow me to keep it.  When I asked why, she just said "people do illegal things with these."  I informed her that by her logic, she should confiscate my car and pretty much everything I own.

I was also required to take the written test--maybe only because of my snide comments though.

• Like 1

On another note, my wife would like to get a NJ Firearms ID. She also has a FL DL now. Does she go to our local police department for forms or the State police?

NJSP barracks

NJSP barracks

I'll respectfully disagree. You go to the NJSP for FPID under two circumstances. Your town doesn't have the ability to process FPID or you are an out of state resident who would like a FPID. If you still own / rent your home in NJ you go to your local PD for P2P or FPID. I have an out of state d/l but still do all of my stuff with the Momtville Twp PD where I've lived for,the last 23 years. I changed my d/l but still reside legally in NJ, thus no reason to go to the NJSP.

• Like 1

I totally agree that obtaining the license under false pretenses is not legal, or moral.  So I would not support the suggestion to say he lost it.  My only point was that Handyman may not have broken the law with his replacement license.

When I moved to NJ in 1994 they confiscated my FL license (I know, I moved the wrong way), they would not even punch a hole in it and allow me to keep it.  When I asked why, she just said "people do illegal things with these."  I informed her that by her logic, she should confiscate my car and pretty much everything I own.

I was also required to take the written test--maybe only because of my snide comments though.

He probably didn't because it was legal then. They shouldn't have taken your d/l in 94 either.

And yes, you moved the wrong way. ;)