window tinting?

Lately I've seen a lot of vehicles with front windows tinted, usually that means they are from out of state but these ones have jersey tags, whats going on? And I've seen LEO vehicles with tinting all around? Did the laws change and nobody told me? Can I tint my front windows now? Whats the fine for tinting them?

Not legal to tint the windshield or front side windows without a note from your DR. Your seeing it allot more now because now you won't fail inspection because of tint. Only emissions testing on non commercial vehicles now. And the cops around here have always had all their windows tinted on marked and unmarked cars

Last year I went to a class and a LEO I know got out of his car with tinted windows. I had a wise crack line about how he can do it but mortals like me can't. He surprised me when he said he had a note from his doctor he keeps in the car.

Last year I went to a class and a LEO I know got out of his car with tinted windows. I had a wise crack line about how he can do it but mortals like me can't. He surprised me when he said he had a note from his doctor he keeps in the car.

I never understood the note from cop thing... glass stops uv rays... which is what 99% of people are worried about.

I've always have had tint on my front, they don't pull me over for that, they look but nothing. Usually if I'm getting pulled over and getting a ticket they'll just add tint ticket with it (only happen once.

• Like 1

I go with 5% keeps the cops from being able to see me talk on the phone, not wearing my seat belt. Tint ticket is $42 I think. What's a seat belt or a cell phone ticket at these days?

Exactly...pulled over for a moving violation turns into a non moving violation for tint...revenue generator for the town no points for driver...win/win lmao. 

About a year ago I was speaking to a NJ State Trooper about the car window tint issue.
He told me that when many NJ State Troopers patrol on the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway, that if they see a car with out-of-state license plates and the front drivers side and passenger side windows with a very heavy tint, (don't know what % of light transmission...), let alone the front windshield, that they are inclined to "profile" the occupants as potentially a drug runner.

Also, I know a number of African Americans who, when asked, explained that they decided to tint their front windows in an attempt to avoid being "profiled" by LEO's, but as noted above, this may have the opposite desired effect...

I have been tinting my vehicles all around including front side windows for the 13+ years I've been driving - I enjoy the sun protection and the privacy - if you have never driven a vehicle tinted you would not understand, its literally something you have to have to appreciate it.

Since the emissions only inspection started in 2011-ish, I will say that the cops for the most part DGAF about tint on windows - if you aren't blowing stop signs, don't have expired license or registration, or tail light out, etc, and aren't driving a hoopty - you will be fine.  I have not gotten pulled over for "just tint" in YEARS - probably going on 7

Stark contrast from when I started driving, I'd get pulled over every 6 months or so, pay the "cool car tax" so to speak - Maybe its because I'm getting older, my cars are less loud, etc - but for the most part I think the LEO's have better things to do with their time.

I do have an actual exemption from the Druzin's in my eyes but I haven't needed to use it for 5+ years since I have not gotten stopped for it.

My buddy also has 2 cars with no front plate and he says he never gets pulled over, although 10 years ago I used to get pulled over all the time for it.

I've had 30% all around for years now.  Some of it may be the general looks of the car, in terms of maybe a black glass pano roof, or just a match front front to back.  Since i don't otherwise do anything to call attention, nobody has given me trouble.  If I were to be pulled over, I'd roll down anyway to give the cop a clear view inside.  Docs are in order, lights are in order, no stupid moves while in motion.  Many variables.

I do see some beater hoopties with 5% all around, and I wonder how they get away with it, but who knows.

Exactly...pulled over for a moving violation turns into a non moving violation for tint...revenue generator for the town no points for driver...win/win lmao. 

Yea but, what if you get pulled over for tint while on your way to the range? Even though you're not doing anything illegal, besides the tint, I would think you would want to avoid contact with police. I used to have 5% all around on my car when I was in my early 20's. Drove around for 3 or 4 years with it. Then I got pulled over 3 times in one month from it, all from the same PD. The third time, I peeled it off as the cop was writing me a ticket. I love the way it looks and the privacy it gives. But I just don't feel like dealing with the hassle of possibly getting pulled over for it on my way to or from the range.

Yea but, what if you get pulled over for tint while on your way to the range? Even though you're not doing anything illegal, besides the tint, I would think you would want to avoid contact with police. I used to have 5% all around on my car when I was in my early 20's. Drove around for 3 or 4 years with it. Then I got pulled over 3 times in one month from it, all from the same PD. The third time, I peeled it off as the cop was writing me a ticket. I love the way it looks and the privacy it gives. But I just don't feel like dealing with the hassle of possibly getting pulled over for it on my way to or from the range.

The cop won't know if you're going to the range or not unless you're stopped - and like has been said its VERY rare nowadays that cops literally will pull you over for "just tint" and waste their time for a $56 ticket -

As with any stop, regardless if you are going to the range or not - if pulled over, interior lights on, vehicle ignition off, documents in order, respect to the officer, and all windows rolled down to put officer at ease (this goes for non-tinted factory vehicles like SUV's that have rear windows tinted) can go a long way.

Again, you'd really have to be doing something else to get pulled over IMO, or have expired registration/license (cops run your plates before they pull you over as you know) -

You probably have all your ducks in a row anyway with going to/from the range so I wouldn't worry about having windows tinted.

If you're in a late 90's hoopty that was bought from a "buy here pay here" McCarter Hwy car dealership with 3 lights out and 5% tint all around, its probably not the best method of transport to the gun range.

I had tints on my previous car - it was 20% rear/rear sides, 30% front sides... got 2 tickets for tint.  Got pulled over solely for "obstruction of view - tint" both times.  Not sure if that's a legit stop or not - Once was in Pennington and once in Piscataway.

I had tints on my previous car - it was 20% rear/rear sides, 30% front sides... got 2 tickets for tint.  Got pulled over solely for "obstruction of view - tint" both times.  Not sure if that's a legit stop or not - Once was in Pennington and once in Piscataway.

Police used to write the statute 39:3-75 which was an obscure safety glass statute from the 30's when glass manufacturers had to start laminating glass so it didn't shatter into pieces that could slice your throat open - Before I had my medical exemption, in my very early 20's I actually took the statute to court and had the "tint ticket" overturned a few times - once you read the statute they used you could tell it had nothing to do with window tinting - "safety glazing material" as used in the statute is defined as the laminating material used in the manufacturing of safety glass on the vehicle, has nothing to do with additional window film added on top.

Maybe the police got smarter and are using a different NJ statute for their "tint tickets" - however, although you will hear that "front window tint is illegal", based on what is in the NJ statutes there has always been a huge gray area because based on what the tickets used to be issued under (the statute I referenced), unless something has changed recently, there never used to be a specific "tint statute" or reference which spells out clearly that your front windows cannot have tint applied.

Again I'm not sure what statute the police are using for their cool car tax tickets nowadays (and like I said I think they have better things to do, although there are always exceptions to the examples) - but the old one 39:3-75 was not a tint statute - maybe they have gotten smarter and writing it under a different statute - I do not know

If it was to happen, so be it...I haven't tinted my vehicles since the 90's...at any rate, back then you could not pass inspection and had to throw someone you knew at a gas station a 20 spot for a sticker lol...that was one big reason why we'd get pulled over just for tint, at the same time using it as a way to profile and check whats going on...now that you can pass inspection with tint, its rare these days for LEO to waste their time just for that.

• Like 1

First, what the hell is a hoopty, one of those tiny cars with oversized mufflers that sound like a giant rubber band buzzing in the wind????

I had all windows tinted when I lived outside of nj so I know the advantages and look forward to doing it again. Are there any good shops in the south jersey shore area (EHT) I can trust to do a good job?

First, what the hell is a hoopty, one of those tiny cars with oversized mufflers that sound like a giant rubber band buzzing in the wind????

I had all windows tinted when I lived outside of nj so I know the advantages and look forward to doing it again. Are there any good shops in the south jersey shore area (EHT) I can trust to do a good job?

If you're driving in a car, and the sounds of the sanford n son theme song are playing in your head....youuuu might be driving a hoopty...lmao (google image it)

If it was to happen, so be it...I haven't tinted my vehicles since the 90's...at any rate, back then you could not pass inspection and had to throw someone you knew at a gas station a 20 spot for a sticker lol...that was one big reason why we'd get pulled over just for tint, at the same time using it as a way to profile and check whats going on...now that you can pass inspection with tint, its rare these days for LEO to waste their time just for that.

This x100000 - The last time I needed to find a place to "pass me" was in 2005 IIRC, and it was $50 and I had to go through 2 contacts to do so LMAO -

Since the inspection has changed, they really could care less

with no safety inspections anymore, you can tint your windows as dark as you like....and they won't fail. however, you can still be stopped and ticketed for it.

this does not apply to anything registered commercial...they still get safety inspections.

N.J.A.C. 39:3-74 is all I can find, and that applies to "non-transparent material upon the front windshield, wings, deflectors, side shields, corner lights, adjoining windshield or front side windows". If tint isn't transparent, then you couldn't see through it. I'll probably tint my windows if I can find a place that will do a good job.

N.J.A.C. 39:3-74 is all I can find, and that applies to "non-transparent material upon the front windshield, wings, deflectors, side shields, corner lights, adjoining windshield or front side windows". If tint isn't transparent, then you couldn't see through it. I'll probably tint my windows if I can find a place that will do a good job.

Exotic custom in Hackettstown. They do beautiful tint work.

http://m.exoticustom.net/

I'm a fan of the tint..

8D9D5D7E-00EB-462A-B9CB-971AA798AB4A_zps

6166BE70-F36F-4FA4-846E-F7859B261B09_zps

0431043A-269E-45CA-AE4C-06D79D7B41F9_zps

73532B57-BF29-4357-B585-1FAF909BE3A3_zps

88d3e2f134a2d7e8b6e6dba7bd0afded_zpsd1d5

0c393dbfdf55808bf006a5817bdddb7b_zps7dcf

Not failing inspection makes a difference for some people, It has been more 'acceptable' in the past 5-10 years...it also always depends where you are, what your driving, how your driving, etc...

Some people it's always just been the first thing we do when or before you drive it off the lot...

• Like 1

My coworker just got pulled over for tints. Car was legal in PA, but had to move here and didn't change the tint. I wouldn't either. The rear windows of my WRX were a heavy tint, mostly to make up for the underpowered AC that Subaru put in. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm waiting for the 2018 WRX to come out, then heading to Hackettstown.

• Like 1

Have 35% all around on my Mazda 3, just got pulled over by a trooper for the first time a few weeks back. Few miles east the PA border on 78... I live close to the Perryville barracks and the trooper recognized the street on my license and let me go without a ticket or any trouble at all.