Zack

Another poll, this time it's the Asbury Park Press

I was going to vote No! Something needs to be done about the availability of guns.  Because it can be so difficult to get them (especially handguns!) here in NJ, but then I figured that's just NJ and it is probably easier in free America ;-) So it is up to 64.37% now.  

Holding at 75+ %

How many respondents? Looking at the percentages decimal places and how little its been changing, probably between 500 and 1000.

For the math junkies, we'd need the minimum integer counts that would equal their 2 decimal place values.

1180 total votes works out pretty close to integers for the % when i voted.

75.17%. 18.22% 6.61%

887 Pro2A.... 215 Against.... 78 in the middle

Just out of morbid curiosity, has anyone ever seen any of these polls (even in looney liberal NJ) come up anything other than overwhelmingly pro 2a?

For me, no. I would think they would just stop with the polls because they never support their narrative.

Can somebody tell me why prohibiting potential terrorists from buying guns is bad? The NRA says it's too easy to get on the terrorist list. I say fine, put more non-citizens and shady muslims on it. Or better yet kick them out of the country.

We don't let convicted criminals, children, drug addicts, or people with serious mental disorders buy guns. I never read any complaints here about that. True, the system like any other law enforcement measure is flawed. I think the domestic violence provisions are overly broad, and family members or friends should always be allowed to transfer guns with no paperwork. That's very different from becoming an actual firearms dealer. In the worst cases individuals should be able to appeal.

Back when this last came up there was talk of behind-the-scenes horse trading, specifically to pass universal background checks but to amend the bill with universal reciprocity. IMO that would do a lot more for ALL gun owners in ALL 50 states -- not to mention 8 or 9 states in particular -- than allowing the few transfers currently impeded by a NICS to proceed.

As usual NRA and the loudest pro-gun voices are looking out for the majority of US gun owners but ignoring us. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can somebody tell me why prohibiting potential terrorists from buying guns is bad? The NRA says it's too easy to get on the terrorist list. I say fine, put more non-citizens and shady muslims on it. Or better yet kick them out of the country.

We don't let convicted criminals, children, drug addicts, or people with serious mental disorders buy guns. I never read any complaints here about that.

These are two very different scenarios. If you don't see the difference between a tried and convicted criminal or a person adjudicated to be incompetent and a person just put on a list due to some secret criteria then I'm sorry but you are part of the problem.

The people on the "no fly" or "terrorist watch" lists have presumably done nothing illegal yet and haven't been charged with anything. No one knows what the criteria for getting on those or other secret lists is and there's no clear path to getting removed from the list. For all we know, everyone that signs onto a gun related forum like this one is on a list somewhere. This is not even a slippery slope argument, this is full free fall into a police state when they can just say " sorry, you can't vote because you are on this list" and "you can't travel because you are on that list" and you have no recourse to do anything about it. At last count there were over 1 million people on secret government lists.

Does that mean I want terrorists to have access to guns? Of course not. It means if the FBI has suspicions about these people, get the evidence to convict or deport and take care of the problem. Or do like Cornyn's bill said and flag the sale and make the FBI or Homeland security make a case before a judge to stop the sale. If they can't convince a judge they have enough suspicion about a person, then they should question if the person should be on the list. Even the Patriot act requires a judge to sign off on wire taps and searches, why would we ever want actual revocation of rights to have less protection then that?

The people on the list are just suspected of terrorism anyone can be suspected but that doesn't make them guilty. I refuse to allow terrorists to win by having any American lose a single right because of a terrorist action. They have a list, give the FBI the resources to track them down and get proof, that is what the American justice system was built on.

JMHO

-Jim

• Like 1