Newtonian

Why an AR?

My very well-armed son in law, who lives in a free state, commented over the weekend that he's catching the AR bug. "Everybody seems to want one."

I couldn't explain why. I myself have a very nice collection, quite appropriate for home defense, including low-recoil semi-auto 7.62 x 39s. He's even better equipped than me, with 30-round mags but in smaller calibers.

What is the attraction to military-style rifles? This is a genuine question as I've only shot them a couple of times and have not been impressed to the point of spending double what I normally spend on a long gun.

Whatever has been the military rifle since the 1873 Springfield has always had a following in the civilian world. Krag, 03 Springfield, Garand, M1 Carbine, M14 (M1A1) and the AR. We have used the AR in the military for over 50 years. Longer than any other rifle. The following grows with both vets and non vets.

• Like 3

You can protect, provide, plink, compete, teach, learn, and do a hundred other things with an AR platform rifle.

They are easy to assemble, easy to repair, easy to maintain, and easy to troubleshoot.

Parts and accessories are plentiful, relatively affordable, and there are multiple companies making quality parts out there.

They are ergonomic, pleasant to shoot, have low recoil, and are reliable, comfortable, durable, and accurate at useful distances.

Ammunition is plentiful and relatively cheap with different types designed for a multitude of disciplines.

Thousands of men and women retire from our Armed Forces every year all with experience on this platform. That makes it a natural "go to" firearm for all of them.

There's probably not another firearm out there that checks as many boxes as an AR.

• Like 4

You can protect, provide, plink, compete, teach, learn, and do a hundred other things with an AR platform rifle.

They are easy to assemble, easy to repair, easy to maintain, and easy to troubleshoot. Parts and accessories are plentiful, relatively affordable, and there are multiple companies making them.

They are ergonomic, easy to shoot, low recoil, reliable, durable, and accurate.

Ammunition is plentiful and relatively cheap and accurate.

Thousands of men and women retire from our Armed Forces every year all of experience on this platform. That makes it a natural "go to "firearm for all of them.

There's probably not another firearm out there that checks as many boxes as an AR.

This.  I dont think I have found a better answer.  Pretty much sums it up. 

To add to modularity, all you need is another barrel and sometimes a new bolt and you can have dozens and dozens of calibers. I have a 6.5 Grendel and I'm looking at the less known 30 American. You can have a short light weapon or a heavier very accurate long range weapon.

You know, I am not into the AR either. I've tried a few and they just don't do anything for me...

-Jim

You must be a communist if after 68 posts you don't know :)

Thanks for the info, guys. I will pass this info on to "Mark" and consider the possibility myself.

BTW I love the idea of modularity although I have newcaliberphobia (I already have 8). What are some common calibers you can use with an AR by switching the barrels? Seems that 7.62 x 39 would be about the upper limit to maintain the low recall and weight benefits. 

I just may have to rethink this Eugene Stoner design, maybe replace my Mauser, Browning and Garand designed weapons...okay I thought about it...Nah.

All 'assault' weapons of their time.  So what's your point.   It's a ergonomic semi auto that's all. and a libtards wet dream.  Without them, libtards have no purpose in life, Sick of all this Bravo Sierra crap.  What will they do when they run out of other people's money?

Why not?

Because its there. (same reason people climb mountains)

Keeping up with the Jones's

Because I can

A better question is why do so many people try so hard to justify this or any purchase

I just may have to rethink this Eugene Stoner design, maybe replace my Mauser, Browning and Garand designed weapons...okay I thought about it...Nah.

No, no no....definitely, get rid of those old antiques.  PM me, I'll take em off your hands .

Because we need to practice saying it smoothly when we explain the new purchase to the wife ...

speek for your self! As far as the wife knows I haven't purchased a new gun in 10 years. I don't count her purses and shoes and she dosent count my guns or fishing rods.

Great topic - After owning and shooting pumps, levers, semi's and single shots all my life I bought a slightly used AR 5 years ago and "built" another a couple years ago.  Just an extension of my shooting and tinkering interests for me plus they're just plain fun to shoot!   And, because of its inherent reliability, lightness, compactness and acceptable accuracy and ballistics, It's a great run and gun rig if you ever need one.     

Which isn't much of an advantage when you realize that makes it valid tally equivalent to a pistol caliber

I'm going to run the numbers through a ballistic calculator because I don't know them offhand, but the simple difference in case capacity and the difference in range makes that hard to believe. I don't know anything about it, I'm just saying it's interesting. I'll post the results when I get around to it.