argetni

Can I bring my NJ legal AR to Chester, NY?

^^^Ding ding ding - if your end destination is New York, and you are not a licensed gun owner there, you will be committing a felony by use and possession

The saying goes "if you're not from New York, you can pass through with your guns, but don't ever stay overnight"

I actually had this discussion with one of my co-workers the other day, a few of his buddies thought it would be a good idea to go shooting at their friends house so they brought their guns up (upstate NY) - cop was rolling by the area and the 3 guys not from NY got arrested and took them a couple years to get charges dropped

Pennsylvania?  Sure go shoot all day.  Don't bring your guns up to NY to shoot if you aren't from there, IMO

EDIT:  This may have been pistols, I did some more reading and I guess you could bring a rifle but it better be New York compliant

• Like 1

Madness,

I hear people in South Jersey talking about shooting on their own property....must be nice!

not just south jersey. We had a small range at The house I grew up at in Hunterdon county and the new owners still use it. We mostly just shot .22LR and shotguns with bird shot though

My co-worker has a backyard range in Chester, NY.

Can I bring my NJ Legal AR with 10rd mag(only have one of these sad things) to his house to shoot?

No you may not UNLESS it has nothing on the muzzle and the NY compliant stock (as illustrated previously).

So being that you most probably own more than one rifle or scattergun, why not bring a lever, a bolt or a pump up to your co-worker's place and have a grand old time of it?!

I know people that go shoot competition pistol matches in NY and they claim there is no issue in doing that.  But as an aside, if you got this funky grip on an AR in NJ would you then be able to add another evil feature since it no longer has a pistol grip.  Enquiring minds want to know.

This^^^
If it doesn't have that stock, you're in violation of the NY SAFE Act, and would be breaking the law.

windham_today__20008.1435857160.1280.128

You can also use this

http://ar15spur.com/index.html

I have been to several shops that sell AR type rifles with these attached. No muzzle device not even a threaded barrel unless the protective nut is pinned and welded.

Regarding Howard's comment about pistols you can bring a pistol to an NRA sanctioned match to shoot. This is written in the NYS legal code.

• Like 1

75c1d6b21e9a281b1a04df3f033ae4f7.jpg

a8c38732dd3e16f1248ce3d921df107b.jpg

b4781e021917cc99d0bbf1a9e7a6902c.jpg

Any of these 3 horrible looking options will make a NJ legal AR (without a muzzle device), NYS compliant. The spur grip is probably the cheapest option. Think they can be had online for around $15. (Should be called "the spur lack of grip")

I've yet to see that to be true. I'm allowed to hunt my property, but I'm sure I'd face resistance if I decided to build a range.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

I probably wouldn't do it in your backyard. Too many neighbors there.(although I have personally killed many deer, pretty much behind your house in the past)I also got a ticket there from fish and game, not for shooting, but for something stupid (not having a pen in my pocket to fill out a tag). They were looking for any reason to write a summons. The fat ass that used to live in your house ironically was the one that called the police lol. I have a few friends closer to me in Sussex County that shoot in their yards all the time.

I could NEVER do that to an AR! Stupid politicians!

Perhaps they were onto something with that stock. Although it does not make the gun safer or less deadly in the least,

It does make it a LOT less desirable! To the point where I doubt I would own one!

If I put that rifle in my safe, all my normal rifles would probably beat the shit out of it when I closed the door!