klin91

First time buyer, have a few questions

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a 1911 in 9mm as my first gun and I've kinda narrowed it down to a few models. I've been looking at the Springfield Armory Range officer line and they a pretty good reputation. Have any of you guys had any experience with them? How does the Colt 1911 Competition series compare? What are some other reputable brands to look into?

you are looking in the right place --  The 9mm range officer is a great buy -- a lot of gun for the money

There really is no need to look elsewhere in that price range

Just find the best price you can on the Range officer and buy it -- you won't be disappointed 

Now if you want to step up in the 1911 world,  spend a little more, and go Dan Wesson

DW may very well be the best bang for your buck when you compare price/quality

I agree on the Range Officer. I don't own one but I rented one at RTSP and it was an excellent firearm. It's on my "to buy list" based on my experience with it.

The 1911 was designed as a .45 ACP platform, and as such performs the best in .45 cal.  That is not to say 9mm variants don't work, but they are much more prone to various failures.  Keep that in mind before you buy one, especially for you first gun.  That said I have an STI Trojan 9mm 1911 and love it - but have sent it back to STI twice for various issues.  I would never carry it as a self defense gun, not that it is an issue here in New Jermany.  If you want something with a hammer (and safety) in 9mm as a first gun I would highly suggest a CZ75b or CZ75 SP01.  They are solid metal guns that are not that expensive and there are lots of sources for parts and you can customize and trick it out to your hearts content as you so desire.

The CZ guns are nothing like a 1911 --  they do not feel the same,  triggers suck compared to a 1911 -- lots more parts inside making them go bang -- more parts means more points to fail

CZ 75B and SP01 do not compare to a 1911 --  Im not saying they are not good guns, but they are NOT a 1911 -- I do own a CZ 75B

Howard had a lemon STI trojan --  Yes the 1911 was designed around the .45 acp cartridge but it functions just fine as a 9mm

Lots of people carry 9mm 1911's as their Concealed Carry piece --  Just not here in NJ

I have a Rock Island (RIA) 1911 in 9mm.  One of my best shooters regardless of price.  That they are at the price point they are is just a bonus.

Maybe I got lucky with it, but it has one of the tightest slide-to-frame fits this side of a full custom.  About the only change I've considered to it is some better sights. 

Cannot go wrong with a 1911 platform, still strong after 100 plus years.  Colt gets my vote.  Seen more of these than any other out there.  Still made and fitted the same way. Still rocking and rolling.  Mine are tack drivers and now more than 30 years old.  Competition is a fine looking gun and priced right in there with the Springfield.

you are looking in the right place --  The 9mm range officer is a great buy -- a lot of gun for the money

There really is no need to look elsewhere in that price range

Just find the best price you can on the Range officer and buy it -- you won't be disappointed 

Now if you want to step up in the 1911 world,  spend a little more, and go Dan Wesson

DW may very well be the best bang for your buck when you compare price/quality

^ This.  The range officer / operator / champion / compact models are all excellent choices.  Plus you get their lifetime warranty

Springfield Armory makes some fine 1911's, but if you are a "dyed-in-the-wool" must be made in the USA type, then look elsewhere. Range Officers, and many other models are partially made in Brazil. Frames and slides are forged by Imbel in Brazil and partially machined. The amount of finish work done on the gun in the USA determines whether it has to be marked as "FI (Made in) Brazil". Please don't misinterpret - not a bad thing and helps keep costs down, but there are those that want only a 100% "Made in the USA" product - and these aren't.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The CZ guns are nothing like a 1911 --  they do not feel the same,  triggers suck compared to a 1911 -- lots more parts inside making them go bang -- more parts means more points to fail

CZ 75B and SP01 do not compare to a 1911 --  Im not saying they are not good guns, but they are NOT a 1911 -- I do own a CZ 75B

Howard had a lemon STI trojan --  Yes the 1911 was designed around the .45 acp cartridge but it functions just fine as a 9mm

Lots of people carry 9mm 1911's as their Concealed Carry piece --  Just not here in NJ

Yes I know they are different than 1911, I just said if you want something with a hammer and safety.

1911's in 9mm are nowhere nearly as reliable as in .45, go check some of the 1911 forums if you don't believe that.  I have never had feed failures in any of my CZ's like I do with 1911's.  You can do a lot of work on CZ's and the trigger can be as good as a 1911.  My SP01 has a trigger pull of under three pounds.

STI makes great guns and they typically work well after only one return to STI.  The first time I sent mine in they had to do machine work to the frame and feed ramp.  The second time the barrel link broke because they installed one that was too short from day one.

Yes I know they are different than 1911, I just said if you want something with a hammer and safety.

1911's in 9mm are nowhere nearly as reliable as in .45, go check some of the 1911 forums if you don't believe that.  I have never had feed failures in any of my CZ's like I do with 1911's.  You can do a lot of work on CZ's and the trigger can be as good as a 1911.  My SP01 has a trigger pull of under three pounds.

STI makes great guns and they typically work well after only one return to STI.  The first time I sent mine in they had to do machine work to the frame and feed ramp.  The second time the barrel link broke because they installed one that was too short from day one.

Howard, Just because you ha trouble with a 9mm 1911, does not mean they are prone to problems. I have over 10k rounds through my S&W 9mm 1911 without any issues whatsoever. Just picked up a Range Officer in 9mm, only has about 200 rounds so far, but they have been flawless as well.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I'm kinda on the fence between 9mm and .45 as many people have said .45 is more reliable, however since this is going to be my first, I'd figure I go with the more affordable ammo and lower recoil caliber to practice at the gun range. 

Are Kimbers any good? I see mixed reviews on them online. 

Kimber are pretty but that is all -- stay away

That's a pretty broad statement. I doubt most Kimber owners would agree. I have a few 1911's, two of which are Kimbers. One of them is by far the best shooter I have and I've put at least 4000 rounds through it with out any issues at all.

I'm not a Kimber fanboy or anything, I'm just saying they make nice guns.

OP- There are a lot of nice 1911s on the market. I think learning to properly inspect one is probably more important then what brand you buy.

Personally, I feel the Ruger SR1911 is a great gun for the price though. Under $800,series 70, and made in the USA. You can also get the Colt competition for about the same price (And it's a "Colt" if that matters to you). For a few hundred more you can get Range Officer, or add a couple bucks and get a S&W E-series. For $1200 you can get a Kimber or Sig. $1700 for a Dan Wesson? $2600 for a Les Baer.

I suggest you determine what you want to spend. Then determine what you want. Do you want made in the USA ? That eliminates a number of brands right off the bat. Do you care if it has an internal or external extractor? Do you want a traditional GI style gun or a custom 1911? 5" barrel or 4"? (or maybe 3")

Once you narrow down your choices you need to inspect the gun. Just because a particular model has great reviews doesn't mean the one you're looking at is the best example. I've seen $500 RIA 1911s that could outshoot guns twice their price. Do some research and get your hands on some guns.

Good luck.

That's a pretty broad statement. I doubt most Kimber owners would agree. I have a few 1911's, two of which are Kimbers. One of them is by far the best shooter I have and I've put at least 4000 rounds through it with out any issues at all.

I'm not a Kimber fanboy or anything, I'm just saying they make nice guns.

OP- There are a lot of nice 1911s on the market. I think learning to properly inspect one is probably more important then what brand you buy.

Personally, I feel the Ruger SR1911 is a great gun for the price though. Under $800,series 70, and made in the USA. You can also get the Colt competition for about the same price (And it's a "Colt" if that matters to you). For a few hundred more you can get Range Officer, or add a couple bucks and get a S&W E-series. For $1200 you can get a Kimber or Sig. $1700 for a Dan Wesson? $2600 for a Les Baer.

I suggest you determine what you want to spend. Then determine what you want. Do you want made in the USA ? That eliminates a number of brands right off the bat. Do you care if it has an internal or external extractor? Do you want a traditional GI style gun or a custom 1911? 5" barrel or 4"? (or maybe 3")

Once you narrow down your choices you need to inspect the gun. Just because a particular model has great reviews doesn't mean the one you're looking at is the best example. I've seen $500 RIA 1911s that could outshoot guns twice their price. Do some research and get your hands on some guns.

Good luck.

Range Officer is also under $800

I don't think he was referring to your post at all. The Glock poster says "when your just not smart enough for a 1911".  It should have been you're!

Yep, that's what I meant.