BigHaggis13

Anyone have a Surefire Warden?

Hey folks.  I did a search on this, and it didn't seem like much came of it, so I wanted to ask.  Does anyone have, or have experience with the Surefire Warden blast diffuser?  I picked up my new AR monday, an LWRC SPR and it came with a Surefire MB556K muzzle brake.  Had it's first range trip last night.  Really nice brake, and it definitely seemed to mitigate some recoil, but holy cow is it blasty.  Luckily we had the entire range to ourselves for the time we were there, so I didn't have to worry about annoying anyone other than the girlfriend, but I can definitely see how it would get old fast.

The only reason I ask, is because of how stupidly vague our laws are written.  Surefire doesn't market the warden as a flash hider, nor is it a suppressor.  It just puts the blast forward, instead of out the sides.  My current brake is obviously pinned and welded, but I'd really hate to stir up some trouble for myself just because I tried to be courteous to anyone else on the range with me.  I know it attaches the same way their suppressors do, but since there are no actual threads on the barrel, I don't know where this falls under current laws.   I borrowed some pics from google for an example.  

4C1C3DBD-3608-41C8-83DE-B7E97A26A88F_zps

1D89E84B-E2B6-4D77-B545-B192F8DA187F_zps

Just wanted to see if anyone had experience involving these things.  The reviews I've seen of them have at least convinced me something like this wouldn't be a bad thing to have for busy range days.

I have one. It works as advertised. It decreases the brakes effectiveness a bit, and it adds some weight to the end of your barrel, but it is barely noticeable.

I have not shot it in low light yet. I am curious to see how it performs.

5E5BCDB4-3439-4374-A819-EBFAE0DF906D_zps

23672205-785A-426A-8DE5-13D80AF657D4_zps

4C66A541-A332-47C6-A247-EC8A6563064A_zps

Completely within the law for NJ. No threads involved, not a flash hider, and turns your brake into an Levange type compensator.

And, as someone else on the board pointed out, it is rediculously fun to put on and take off :rofl:

• Like 2

He wouldn't get a hard time anyway.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

This is true. :D

Do you know what stock and grip are on it?

Looks like a Daniel Defense furniture kit in Tornado:

https://danieldefense.com/furniture/buttstocks/daniel-defense-collapsible-buttstock-pistol-grip-vertical-foregrip-combo-daniel-defense-tornado.html

Ugh, if you want one of these because the cool factor, then fine. If you are worried about other people's, fudge them. Its a gun. It goes bang, most of the time, real loud. If someone bitches, tell them to put their panties back in the drawer and tell them to get better hearing protection.

I will not apologize for how loud my guns are. Its the nature of the beasts. They get over it.

PS: Nice gun. I have an M6....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ugh, if you want one of these because the cool factor, then fine. If you are worried about other people's, fudge them. Its a gun. It goes bang, most of the time, real loud. If someone bitches, tell them to put their panties back in the drawer and tell them to get better hearing protection.

I will not apologize for how loud my guns are. Its the nature of the beasts. They get over it.

PS: Nice gun. I have an M6....

When the guy next to you paid over $1000 for hotel, ammo, and class fees for a 2 day rifle class saying F him isn't the best option. Plus you paid $1000 too and the instructor stays on the other end of the firing line for some reason.

When the guy next to you paid over $1000 for hotel, ammo, and class fees for a 2 day rifle class saying F him isn't the best option. Plus you paid $1000 too and the instructor stays on the other end of the firing line for some reason.

Then buy him better head gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, it's more than that. I agree with your sentiment to a degree. Yes guns are loud and a shooter should know that and understand - but this brake is obnoxious.

It is not just loud - the gas punches the shooters next to you. After an hour or so it will ring your bell.

It is actually obnoxious to the point of dangerous in certain training environments.

I believe n4p266r is correct in his assessment. If you were shooting next to me on the line in a 2-3 day class, we would talk.

John, it's more than that. I agree with your sentiment to a degree. Yes guns are loud and a shooter should know that and understand - but this brake is obnoxious.

It is not just loud - the gas punches the shooters next to you. After an hour or so it will ring your bell.

It is actually obnoxious to the point of dangerous in certain training environments.

I believe n4p266r is correct in his assessment. If you were shooting next to me on the line in a 2-3 day class, we would talk.

I buy your explanation. But I don't for just noise. If its more than noise, I agree.

I've seen and heard people bitch at ranges over the years. Some are just panzies. Some just bitch for no reason. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

This device was developed for a reason -

A muzzle break is a better mount for a sound suppressor than a flash hider - brake will actually help keep a can running longer than mounting it to a hider will. So, if you are going to use a suppressor it makes sense to mount it to a brake.

The problem is, if you want to train in CQB, or marksmanship, or any other skill that requires you to shoot near or around other shooters, a brake is a bad choice. It's dangerous and it's distracting.

The Warden is a solution to that - best of both worlds. Let's you choose a muzzle device (brake) that increases the longevity of your suppressor, and gives you a way to train without the suppressor when it isn't needed.

Now, I understand not everyone needs a suppressor, and in NJ you can't have one, but that SF brake is still pretty effective on its own and is a solid choice as a muzzle

Device. Shooting alone on the range, or competing in 3 gun or similar rifle matches where you have the stage to yourself with no one shooting next to you, that brake may give you an advantage. But shooting that same rifle with that brake in a class may not be an acceptable choice.

The ability to install the Warden makes the SF brake a viable option for a multi-use gun (not a dedicated comp gun, or training gun but a gun that can do both safely and effectively) especially in NJ (or on a 14.5" gun) where you have to have any brake/comp permanently attached - losing the option to swap out your muzzle devices as appropriate.

• Like 1

These are my sentiments too.  Functionally, the brake is absolutely fantastic.  But, I've been a few lanes down from one before, and having my first experience shooting it at an indoor range, I can fully appreciate how bad it would have been to be in the lane next to me.  If there's something I can use to not be a PITA to everyone around me, I'm down for it.  We're all there for the same reason, and rather than have my current brake cut off and risk some damage to my brand new gun, I feel like this is a decent alternative.  Outdoors, all bets are off and I'm using my gun the way it was made to be used.  But indoors at a 25 yard range, I don't mind trying to tone it down a bit for neighbors.

This device was developed for a reason -

This is true. And Surefire isn't known for gimmicks. And they didn't design it because people in NJ have no choice but shooting indoors and using a brake.

The biggest issue with a brake is the concussion, not the volume. With the right ammo, standing in the right spot, you feel it. Not just loud. You feel it in your gut. My sister in law went to the range at gun for hire with her husband. She's gone multiple times before. This time they put them next to a guy shooting an AR. The concussion freaked her out and she waited outside.

So for me I bought one because they are a hell of a lot of fun to put on and take off.

I bought one for rifle classes. To save the guy next to me

I bought one to be courteous at the ranges.

Because guns are loud wasn't even a thought that caught my mind.

If you have plans to escape from NJ anytime soon, consider saving up for a Surefire SOCOM RC2 suppressor.  It's the best one on the market in terms of suppression and POI shift.  It's pricey and sold out everywhere as of now, but it will fit nicely onto that rifle of yours.  The 7.62 version will also lock up with the 556 brake so you can use it to shoot on all your other rifles (.308, 300BO, etc.) as well.

I know this thread is almost dead. But quick question. In order to use the Warden, you have to use one of their brakes. Isn't their mountable brakes evil in NJ?

Nope - their mountable brakes:

http://www.surefire.com/mb556k.html

are perfectly legal.

They don't use threads to attach suppressors or the Warden. They use a cam with a friction lock on a rotating ring.

But its listed as a brake/suppressor adapter. Still ok?

Getting an X95... Considering one for that unless I can't get one in time.