0verholt

Transporting to friend's property

You didn't read the entire statute. It also allows temporary transfer for training or instruction at any location. Doesn't say anyone need be a certified instructor or what the nature of the training or instruction has to be.

Based on what you quoted you can't let someone try any of your guns if shooting at any commercial range. We all know this is permitted.

You don't have to be a club, commercial range, police dept etc to temporarily transfer a firearm to someone. It only has to be for training or instruction "at any location".

A commercial range is the only location you can try someones gun. and I believe in the statue it does declare who an approved instructor is.

Check 2C 58-3.1  

I went through this when a bunch of us decided to use a friends farm for target practice.  We had to create a gun club, file a charter, and list members.  Then we were OK passing around the handguns on the range.  This according to the lawyer of the property owner.

A commercial range is the only location you can try someones gun. and I believe in the statue it does declare who an approved instructor is.

Check 2C 58-3.1  

I went through this when a bunch of us decided to use a friends farm for target practice.  We had to create a gun club, file a charter, and list members.  Then we were OK passing around the handguns on the range.  This according to the lawyer of the property owner.

T Bill, the statute doesn't say any of those things. The statutes give no definition of a range or an instructor.

The lawyer who said the only legal way was forming a club is wrong. Doing so covered a base listed in the statute but was totally unnecessary. Yes, lawyers can be wrong. I've dealt with hundreds of lawyers in my time and there were hundreds of occasions some were wrong. Let me guess, the lawyer you speak of took care of writing the charter, filing it, and providing a list of members to NJSP for a small fee.

You are still ignoring the line in the statute saying "instruction or training at any location".

This is how myths are started.

Isn't the recent clarification about to be voted down by the legislature anyway? I don't know why they'd waste their breath, it's probably the least significant thing ever written on paper; doesn't change doodoo.

I thought it was only the justifiable need that was to be reversed.

I was under the impression they were going after the whole thing, could be wrong. Just so we're on the same page, the transport/exception/deviation was already on the books, and Christie's exec order or whatever it was basically expedited permits for restraining orders as well as added clarification to the transport/exception/deviation thing, is that accurate?

Ooo interesting, in Section II.C of the recent guidelines, the "application of the standard" says specifically that transportation can only occur between the locations SPECIFICALLY LISTED, thus NOT leaving what an "authorized place" is up to interpretation. They messed it up, because this section defines what they said in the existing law 2c:39-6g, "OR other authorized place". They basically tightened that restriction in the new guidelines, while loosening the deviation limit so people can stop at a gas station to drop a deuce.

Also, if you're that concerned....  Get permission that you are allowed to hunt, target practice, train, repair firearms, and maintain firearms on your friend's property in advance, whatever he is willing to write and sign.  If there's any chance you could bow or shotgun hunt on his land, I would include that even if you don't have a license to hunt in his DMZ.  Hunters get some special leniency in NJ law.  Bring the note in your vehicle when you travel with firearms or encounter nosy neighbors or police when he's not there.

I don't see any need for a phony baloney note.

So what allows a person under 18 to shoot USPSA or Steel with a handgun owned by a parent who is present at the licensed range?

The fact the parent or guardian is present and it's a competition.