Sign in to follow this  
davisac

Lived here for a while but never applied for a FID Card. Question 26...

I've been to Psychiatrists off and on for several years for depression, but in 2014 I was having a rough time and needed to get away before a family vacation we had coming up. I checked myself into the hospital for 5 or 7 days -- forget now. It was voluntary. 

Still meeting with a Psychiatrist currently and am hoping to get her to write a letter that I'm not a risk to myself or others, but I have no idea what her thoughts on guns are or if she will or not. 

Between seeing Dr's and the hospital stay, am I out of luck? I don't have enough money to get an attorney involved, I was just hoping to pick up a pistol to be able to go to the range now and then. 

Thanks for your help guys.

I would say, see how your Psychiatrist feels about it first. If she is against you having guns, you won't stand a chance of getting approved without a good lawyer.

If she sees no problem, I would go for it. Answer the application for NJ FPID honestly and include a copy of her letter (if positive).

1. Unless you are able to obtain a VERY compelling letter of support from your doctor, I would recommend against you submitting an STS033 application.   Even with such a letter, there is a probability that your police of chief may still deny your application. In that eventuality, you would have to hire an attorney to challenge it.  (Something that you already stated you do not have the money for.)

2. If you get denied and either don't appeal it, or lose on appeal; then you will have a denial on your record which would itself be an added challenge if you re-apply in the future.

3. In other words, once you apply, there is no turning back.  You would need to pursue it regardless of cost with no guarentee of prevailing.

The alternative is to wait,  and apply in the future (e.g. 5 years down the road, etc.) after you address all your current issues and complete treatment.  At that time, you would be able to point out those years of good mental health.

Even then you may still need a compelling letter, but things strike me as just to risky applying now.

IANAL, but am someone who has had my own Q26 challenges and have thought long and hard about the subject. (In my case. my issues were very minor in comparison and I ultimately prevailed without a denial.)  

Feel free to PM me if you wish any further clarification.

Bottomline is check with your doctor, and if he/she is supporting, I would also check with an attorney.  Ie what others above had said.  

regards

An extended family member of mine was depressed after her father died. She started seeing a psychiatrist for almost 2 years. Before she went for her FID, it must have been 4-5 years since she last saw the psychiatrist.

IMO I would hold off until you have completed treatment like mentioned above.

Wish you the best of luck

How would you answer the following question?

1. Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs) OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution? (See Instructions for Question 11.f.) 

Or these two?

Have you ever been confined or committed to a mental institution or hospital for treatment or observation of a mental or psychiatric condition on a temporary, interim, or permanent basis? If yes, give the name and location of the institution or hospital and the date(s) of such confinement or commitment. 

Have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental institution on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition? If yes, give the name and location of the doctor, psychiatrist, hospital or institution and the date(s) of such occurrence. 

The first is from ATF form 4473 which you'd fill out at each non-f2f purchase of a firearm.

The last two are from the NJ ST-33 FPID and pistol permit application.  

I'm guessing you need to think about a different hobby but IANAL and don't play one on TV.  I didn't sleep at a holiday inn express last night in fact I have an awful hangover from all the vodka martinis I had last night.  So my real advice to you is to figure out whether or not you yourself are comfortable that you've come far enough in your therapy to own guns.  Two, does your therapist agree, because if he/she does not you're SOL right there.  Then lastly there's no way given what you've described that you'll get this done without a lawyer and some expense.

• Like 1