sroc112

General Life Expectancy of a Sig Sauer

I know it's and open ended question, but with proper care how long(number of rounds) can one expect to get out of a sig handgun before any major issues come about? How would you compare sigs long term quality over some of your other favorite brands? I chose them as my first handgun brand because of a lot of good feedback from people I have spoken to about quality and being able to keep it long term. Just wondering what the consensus is on here.

No idea if there is a shelf life but my 220 is around 5 years old with regular usage at the range with no issues. They do state in the manual that certain parts are recommended to be replaced at intervals (springs and such). Regular maintenance should help, same as any pistol or rifle.

-Jim

I read a thread on arfcom from a range owner detailing the failures on rental Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, etc.

After about a zillion rounds the slides start to fail on carbon steel Sigs. I belive they are somehow folded but I don't remember.

My dad had a Sig P220 kaboom and their CS was rather ineffective.

any gun can and will fail at some point...  I think it's more important to identify/understand those failures rather than discredit a brand/type. 

Sigs IMO are built exceptionally well.  My P226 has thousands of rounds thru it and the only failures were caused by a really out of spec magazine (failed to feed / nose dived).  My old P229 never had a single failure.

• Like 1