Sign in to follow this  
Newtonian

ARRL Field Day

This past Saturday was my first field day. I joined a group of guys at the Matamoras Rod and Gun Club, near Milford, PA, for about four hours on the 25th. Very nice group of people. There were five guys (including me) and someone's wife and grandkid who only wanted to shoot and had no interest in radio. One open carrier, one guy carrying an empty holster, a third with a gun-related t-shirt. For my theme I chose KD2HPQ instead of Molon Labe.

You'd think in the hours leading up to the start of field day the daytime bands would be hopping, but I witnessed only 2-3 QSOs. Only one guy was on CW. 

Observations:

* Guns and radios seem to go together

* The outdoor range was lovely, nice buildings and grounds, well-maintained although not as extensive as Cherry Ridge

* Nice drive there from Upper Newtonia

* Check out the Patisserie bakery on the main drag in Milford. It took extreme will not to eat all four croissants that remained at 10:30 am

* Nice Italian shop as well on the main drag, although like all such places on the expensive side

* Ham radio is an old person's hobby. Rumors of its vitality are greatly exaggerated.

* Why do we use power supplies when other delicate, noise-sensitive equipment is just plugged in?

* Despite bringing all my rigs I failed to make my first HF QSO. Maybe because I was sticking to QRP off of a random wire with a tuner that didn't work

* I knew I was in PA when the cop didn't shoot the guy open-carrying the pistol when the latter walked up to the patrol car to say hi. But being from here it was like watching a scary movie.

* I have yet to eat a hot dog served at a ham event that did not taste like gelatinized monkey dick. They're shit to shinola compared with gun event food, which is hardly of gourmet quality.

* Although I pay dues to use their repeater, I have nothing to do with my local ham club. Too grouchy even for me. If you own a time machine you can attend events from years past, the only ones listed on their website, and browse photos of club founders G. Marconi and Alexander Graham Bell. 

KD2HPQ

(up to 19 letters in morse code)

• Like 1

You'd think in the hours leading up to the start of field day the daytime bands would be hopping, but I witnessed only 2-3 QSOs. Only one guy was on CW. 

Yes, the bands were terrible this year.

Observations:

* Guns and radios seem to go together

Yes - two hobbies where people like to tinker

* The outdoor range was lovely, nice buildings and grounds, well-maintained although not as extensive as Cherry Ridge

* Nice drive there from Upper Newtonia

* Check out the Patisserie bakery on the main drag in Milford. It took extreme will not to eat all four croissants that remained at 10:30 am

* Nice Italian shop as well on the main drag, although like all such places on the expensive side

* Ham radio is an old person's hobby. Rumors of its vitality are greatly exaggerated.

Ham radio is doing well - there are some kids who have fun with it - but yes, it is an old man's hobby

* Why do we use power supplies when other delicate, noise-sensitive equipment is just plugged in?

Good question!  I'm not sure.  Probably because of (a) custom, (b) everyone in ham-dom has a 12 volt supply (they last forever), and © move the heat/noise source out and away from the radio

* Despite bringing all my rigs I failed to make my first HF QSO. Maybe because I was sticking to QRP off of a random wire with a tuner that didn't work

Sorry to hear it...but a random wire is about the worst antenna out there, and QRP (low power) besides?  and NO suk

* I knew I was in PA when the cop didn't shoot the guy open-carrying the pistol when the latter walked up to the patrol car to say hi. But being from here it was like watching a scary movie.

* I have yet to eat a hot dog served at a ham event that did not taste like gelatinized monkey dick. They're shit to shinola compared with gun event food, which is hardly of gourmet quality.

never had gelatinized monkey dick....I'll take your word for it!

* Although I pay dues to use their repeater, I have nothing to do with my local ham club. Too grouchy even for me. If you own a time machine you can attend events from years past, the only ones listed on their website, and browse photos of club founders G. Marconi and Alexander Graham Bell. 

KD2HPQ

(up to 19 letters in morse code)

That's one of the reasons I like it! It's the only activity I participate in that I'm still considered "the kid".

When I took up tournament bridge (the card game) nearly 40 years ago they'd hold regional tournaments in airplane hangars or large hotel ballrooms (and several siderooms). I was in my mid-20s and easily one of the youngest people at the event. The last Regional I attended, 4 years ago, fit into roughly the area of one floor of my modestly-sized house. At age 57 I was again one of the youngest people present.