SIGMan Freud

Where/how to start shooting clays?

I haven't shot a shotgun in years (and never clay), but I've got it in my head to give it a go as I'm a little bored shooting at paper targets.

So where does one go to get started? Just go to a trap facility, for example, and order a rack of clays and just have at it? (That sounds expensive). Find a class or instructor somewhere? I'm in South Jersey and I came across Pine Valley (which doesn't seem to offer instruction that I can see). Also found a place called Cedar Creek in Millville that looks to offer personal instruction. 

Appreciate any advice to a novice (shotgunner). 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Do you have a 26" or longer barreled smooth bore shotgun with Improved Cylinder or Modified chokes?  If so, drop by a trap club, shooters are friendly and will walk you through it.  It is a hike up to Clinton for our shotgun shoot, but you are more than welcome to come.  I am just too far away to help you, sorry,  Maybe someone here on the board will drop in and give you a hand getting started.

• Like 1

Hi SIGMan Freud,

I'd like to suggest to you to come out to Telco Sportsmen's Club in Atco on a Monday night at 6pm for trap.  It's open to the public on Mondays for trap and it's $4 per round (25 targets - bring your own ammo, #7 1/2 or #8 low brass shells).  There are plenty of people who would be more than happy to help you out; it's a nice and relaxed shooting environment.  It's where I first learned to shoot trap. 

Let me know if you'd like more info.  Hope to see you there.  

• Like 2

The Clinton shotgun shoots are a bit of a drive for you but its totally worth the drive IMO. Come up and meet a bunch of forum members and shoot all sorts of shotguns. There is plenty of guys who are great coaches and will have you dusting clays in no time. The next shoot is on the 17.

Cedar Creek Sporting Clays has 2 courses, #1 intermediate A good starter, beginner course. #2 the red and blue course same throwers but different shooting angles depending on the color you choose to shoot from. Joe (owner) does give instruction, He is an accomplished shooter and A great target setter.

Pinebelt has Trap and Skeet, You can always find someone to shoot with, but no instructors,

Then you have Quinton Sportsmen in Quinton, Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand and sporting clays. Again no instruction.

All the games are fun and you will find people are easy going.

That said, What do you plan on shooting with? An O/U will cover all games, An auto will need A shell catcher which is no biggy for Trap.

I usually shoot Cedar Creek on Wed. and Sunday, Trap at Quinton Fridays and some Sundays. 

If you wanted to try some Clays at Cedar Creek or Quinton we can probably set something up.  I'm 5 minutes from CC and 20 from Quinton.     Seeing and shooting some is the best way to start. Instruction can come later, Its not cheap.

PM me if you want more info.

• Like 1

Your best bet and cheapest would be to go to a WMA (with a valid hunting license)  with a couple buddies, a hand thrower, a flat of shells and a few boxes of clays. 

Have someone stand next to and just behind you throwing clays straight out in front of you. You will quickly get a feel for it this way. 

Here is the link for Quinton Sportsman's Club, Friday night dinner is very good too... 

http://www.quintonsportsmensclub.com

Hi SIGMan Freud,

I'd like to suggest to you to come out to Telco Sportsmen's Club in Atco on a Monday night at 6pm for trap.  It's open to the public on Mondays for trap and it's $4 per round (25 targets - bring your own ammo, #7 1/2 or #8 low brass shells).  There are plenty of people who would be more than happy to help you out; it's a nice and relaxed shooting environment.  It's where I first learned to shoot trap. 

Let me know if you'd like more info.  Hope to see you there.  

Monday nights at TELCO are lots of fun...wish I could be there more often!

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity how many shooters do you get on A Monday Night,

I'm always looking for new places to shoot trap.

Anywhere from 8 to 15 shooters. Depends on the night.  Some very experienced, others just starting out. Most shoot multiple rounds. Our kitchen is also open on Monday nights. We have a 5-Stand set up on Sundays at noon ($5 per 25 targets); a lot of folks from Quinton have shot our 5 Stand and seem to like it.  It'd be great if you came to check it out!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and generous offers of support. I will definitely follow up on your suggestions. My former shooting buddies fled NJ years ago and I've been going solo for a while. Would genuinely appreciate the opportunity to connect with new folks!

Sig, Just keep in mind, The clay games are addictive, Without A doubt.

Very much so...If I didn't have to be somewhere else on Monday nights, I'd be there every monday

If you want to shoot some at Range 14, i have a membership there but haven't shot clay, myself, either. I'd certainly like to get into it... I'll probably head there sometime and pull up some youtube videos or somethin haha.

If you want to shoot some at Range 14, i have a membership there but haven't shot clay, myself, either. I'd certainly like to get into it... I'll probably head there sometime and pull up some youtube videos or somethin haha.

The last time I was there they only had one trap station. The rest of the working stations were setup for skeet. They said they were waiting on the bids to repair the facilities. Not sure if they ever got it done. This was last year. Anyone use the trap/skeet stations recently?

Well I never did get around to following up on this. Got crazy busy over the summer and fall. Now that the weather is about to turn, I'm gonna try to get out there. I see that Telco has starting up 5-stand on Sundays and will start Trap again in March. Might pop over there to check things out. I know it's low key, but I'm reluctant to jump into a competitive situation having never shot clay. 

Well I never did get around to following up on this. Got crazy busy over the summer and fall. Now that the weather is about to turn, I'm gonna try to get out there. I see that Telco has starting up 5-stand on Sundays and will start Trap again in March. Might pop over there to check things out. I know it's low key, but I'm reluctant to jump into a competitive situation having never shot clay. 

Someone will always be available at Telco to show you the ropes.  Our 5 Stand is nice and relaxed - come out, watch a few lines and decide if you want to shoot or not.  Hope to see you!

A bunch of us are meeting up tomorrow morning at Clinton WMA between 9-10am. Bring some shells and clays we have throwers. It's free to shoot there. There will be plenty of shotguns to try as well. Always a good time.

Here's the thread with all the info if you're interested.

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/85165-Shotgun-Shootout!-Sunday-February-26th-at-Clinton-WMA

• Like 1

Tomorrow there are all kind of choices to shoot in South Jersey.   Redwing in Port Republic, Cedar Creek in Millville, Quinton Sportsman in Quinton, Good Sports gun club in Millville, and Pinebelt in Tabernacle, M&M in Pennsville.  No one can say theres nowhere to shoot in South Jersey.  You can always find someone to jump in with.

• Like 1

A bunch of us are meeting up tomorrow morning at Clinton WMA between 9-10am. Bring some shells and clays we have throwers. It's free to shoot there. There will be plenty of shotguns to try as well. Always a good time.

Here's the thread with all the info if you're interested.

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/85165-Shotgun-Shootout!-Sunday-February-26th-at-Clinton-WMA

Hey, thanks! Unfortunately, too many pre-arranged obligations today, but I appreciate the invite!

• Like 1

Had another GREAT time shooting 5-stand at Telco today (tho I couldn't hit much of anything...)

They start-up Monday night trap again for the spring on Monday, March 6.

• Like 1

Cedar Creek Sporting Clays has 2 courses, #1 intermediate A good starter, beginner course. #2 the red and blue course same throwers but different shooting angles depending on the color you choose to shoot from. Joe (owner) does give instruction, He is an accomplished shooter and A great target setter.

Pinebelt has Trap and Skeet, You can always find someone to shoot with, but no instructors,

Then you have Quinton Sportsmen in Quinton, Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand and sporting clays. Again no instruction.

All the games are fun and you will find people are easy going.

That said, What do you plan on shooting with? An O/U will cover all games, An auto will need A shell catcher which is no biggy for Trap.

I usually shoot Cedar Creek on Wed. and Sunday, Trap at Quinton Fridays and some Sundays. 

If you wanted to try some Clays at Cedar Creek or Quinton we can probably set something up.  I'm 5 minutes from CC and 20 from Quinton.     Seeing and shooting some is the best way to start. Instruction can come later, Its not cheap.

PM me if you want more info.

I've been meaning to check out Cedar Creek and have contacted Joe there about getting some instruction. I figure being so new, I'm a blank canvas and don't want to do what would normally do (go it alone and try to figure it out) lest I burn in some bad habits.

So how does it work at place like Cedar Creek? Is it sorta like a public golf course where you show up and get in line to tee off on the course? Do you have to run the course in a group? I'm kinda hoping to find a place where I can practice and develop some muscle memory/eye-hand coordination before jumping into a more competitive situation. Some of those trap rounds I've watched move along at a pretty fast pace. 

In answer to your question, I have a 12GA Browning O/U. Thanks!

You will hear Sporting clays is golf with A gun.  Well its not.    Most courses, Including Cedar Creek you can shoot by yourselve. Joe or Gary will set the thrower module to throw on A 3 second delay for you. That is plenty of time to push the button and be ready for the clays.  Joe can certainly teach you, But I would suggest you get some shooting in on your own before spending for lessons.  There is no pace for you to follow. The woods course has 13 stations in A loop that starts and ends at the clubhouse. It is very seldom jammed to where you wait or hold someone up.     theres A good chance from now till mid April that I could meet you and shoot if you wanted on A Sat or Wed.  Even Fridays, right now we pretty much dedicate Sundays to Redwing as Roger closes in May till Sept.

Let me know if you are interested.    This Wed I'm in DE for VA appointments.