SIGMan Freud

Where/how to start shooting clays?

As far as sporting clays go, what are the pros and cons of M&M vs Cedar Creek? Both are a haul for me and while I'm not opposed to checking both out, I just wonder what the conventional wisdom is on those. For trap, Pine Valley is a lot closer to me, but their website looks dead with a lot of info years out of date.

Anthony at M&M is A top notch champion shooter. Joe at Cedar Creek Is A top notch shooter and one of the best NSCA target setters

Those abilities make both Cedar Creek & M&M really good places to shoot.  Myself I prefer Cedar Creek above the 2. But being 5 mins from there helps with the decision.      Shoot them both and decide.    Damn theres 6 clay courses within 3 hour max drive from me and I shoot them all.   

If the weather cooperates, I'm going to check out Cedar Creek tomorrow or Thursday. It looks like there are four regularly mentioned clubs about an hour south from me (Cedar Creek, M&M, Quinton and Red Wings). Telco and Pine Valley (trap only) are much closer. I will probably check out Telco soon as they're about to resume Monday night trap shooting.

Quinton is like $100 a year to be a member. Not sure what they charge to shoot the course. They have pretty nice rifle ranges too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus $200.00 1 time capital improvement fee.    Clays is $30.00 per 100 for non members, and $5.00 for skeet, trap or 5stand. Members $4.00 not sure about Clays

Last time I checked, I think Quinton was up to $300 for their initiation/capital-improvement one-time fee. CJRPC is up to $600 (plus $321 annually). I'd have to really love a place to pony up that kind of cash. I'm not opposed to membership dues or some type of screening/sponsorship process to join. Lord knows, I've been at plenty of public ranges or clubs where the only screening process was the ability to write a check -- 99% of the time, everything is fine, but every once in a while some group of yocals comes through that makes you want to seek shelter.

Last time I checked, I think Quinton was up to $300 for their initiation/capital-improvement one-time fee. CJRPC is up to $600 (plus $321 annually). I'd have to really love a place to pony up that kind of cash. I'm not opposed to membership dues or some type of screening/sponsorship process to join. Lord knows, I've been at plenty of public ranges or clubs where the only screening process was the ability to write a check -- 99% of the time, everything is fine, but every once in a while some group of yocals comes through that makes you want to seek shelter.

You don't need to be a member at Quinton to shoot any of the clay shoots on any day. Also all the matches are open to the public, 3 gun, IDPA, .22 shoots, blackpowder, high power... 

I would hope there is not going to be a which shotgun should I buy thread after that last one that was a calamity [emoji6]

Man I was working for that vp9!

Actually I think he should. I'm not sure why everybody got so butt hurt.

I managed to make it out to Cedar Creek this morning and shot (at) a hundred clays with Joe coaching. Nice place. Will definitely go back soon. The new gun felt great and I got off to a fairly good start with singles and then pairs on a few stations. Was getting some good consistency and we moved on to a more difficult station with high arching crossing birds and I suddenly couldn't hit a thing. Really have to smooth out my motions. Had a blast, though. Much more fun than shooting handguns at paper targets.

• Like 2

Did any one here is from North Jersey? I was looking to go to North Jersey clay and target club:http://www.northjerseyclaytargetclub.com/ they are very decent club you can shoot as non member. 8$ a round.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I was thinking of starting to shoot there.  I've been going up to Thunder Mountain, and while the people there are very nice, the place has gotten frightfully expensive.

Is there any advantage to taking the membership at North Jersey C&T other than the savings per round?

Is there any advantage to taking the membership at North Jersey C&T other than the savings per round?

Several times a year they get a semi-truckload of clay targets from Geiser Guns in PA.  When they do, members are able to place orders for shells and components (except powder and primers) at discounted rates, with no shipping or tax.  I don't have a recent price list; they are posted in the clubhouse, not online, but I've been happy with the deals I've gotten.   You just have to be there early on the Sunday morning when the delivery is made to pick up in person.