BobbyKraft426

New Woodbridge Member

Hey guys, new to the board and the shooting scene in general. Still waiting on my FID and my PP, browsing stores and ranges at the time and getting hyped up. Any recommendations for shops or ranges? I'm from Colonia specifically but don't mind driving a good distance for quality and good service.

You're lucky! I'm here in Avenel, and had my Initial FID and pistol permit in under a month, and that was only like 6 months ago.
I Like Heritage Guild. For big purchases, go to the Easton location; IIRC their sales tax is 6% instead of 7% (adds up if you're spending thousands) and NICS is 5$ instead of 15$, plus they have a very, very large selection. 

Welcome, I've lived in Colonia all my life, moved to Woodbridge a few years ago.

Heritage Guild in Rahway, and Bullseye Tactical are the two shops in our area.

As far as ranges, your best option would be to join OBRPC ( Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club ) www.obrpc.org , it's a " private " range with initiation fees, but it's the best facilities around.

There is also Lakeside (something ) in carteret. Been there once, it's very small , just 2 or 3 indoor lanes. Dont know much else about it.

Woodbridge is not horrible with permits, usually around the 5-6 week mark. Best of luck. 

Hey guys, new to the board and the shooting scene in general. Still waiting on my FID and my PP, browsing stores and ranges at the time and getting hyped up. Any recommendations for shops or ranges? I'm from Colonia specifically but don't mind driving a good distance for quality and good service.

Woodbridge is very good with their timeline when issuing.. Connie(?) at the permit depart is great to deal with.

Heritage is the closest shop. Their prices aren't the best but they are convenient and have a good selection. Middle Brook Firearms and Garden State Armory aren't too far away either.

Lake island is in carteret so not very far. Takes me about 15 mins. From Colonia there's 10 lanes and it's small but gets the job done for me. Take a look at the site it's a nice simple place. http://lakeis.org

Shhhh..... quit hyping it up. It's just 2 lanes and you can only shoot between 2:00 and 4:30 on Mondays.

Woodbridge is very good with their timeline when issuing.. Connie(?) at the permit depart is great to deal with.

Heritage is the closest shop. Their prices aren't the best but they are convenient and have a good selection. Middle Brook Firearms and Garden State Armory aren't too far away either.

Shhhh..... quit hyping it up. It's just 2 lanes and you can only shoot between 2:00 and 4:30 on Mondays.

Seriously though, Lake Island is a nice old school club. It has it's limitations ( no Magnums, no rifle, targets fixed at 25 yards, and guests can only shoot .22) but is reasonably priced and extremely convenient. Also a great place if you think you may be interested in Bullseye competition. You do have to qualify to get in and go through an orientation program though.

I think i read you can shoot .22LR rifles, but no actual rifle calibers.

Seriously though, Lake Island is a nice old school club. It has it's limitations ( no Magnums, no rifle, targets fixed at 25 yards, and guests can only shoot .22) but is reasonably priced and extremely convenient. 

Really?  25 yards only?  can't go closer?

Really? 25 yards only? can't go closer?

Nope. It's a Bullseye club. We have a winter .22 league that competes once a week, center fire 900 matches once a month, and NRA Standard Pistol matches a few times a year.

There's also a Junior Rifle Team that competes and goes to Camp Perry every year. They have a Senior Rifle Team as well but I'm not sure how active they are.

It's a great place to go during the winter or on a rainy day to kill some time. Let me know if you want to check it out some Sunday.

I'm sorry but that's too fudd for me.  I can't see any benefit in only being able to shoot from 25 yards.  I can't get any proper practice with my CCW gun at that range... for that I'd want to be at 7-10 yards max.

the one time I was there, we were also told that you were only allowed to load a max of 5 rounds in a magazine at a time. 

I'm sorry but that's too fudd for me. I can't see any benefit in only being able to shoot from 25 yards. I can't get any proper practice with my CCW gun at that range... for that I'd want to be at 7-10 yards max.

Honing your skills at 25 yards will make you a better shooter at 7-10 yards.

It makes it much easier to see what you have to work on. At 7 yards hopefully you just have one hole.

the one time I was there, we were also told that you were only allowed to load a max of 5 rounds in a magazine at a time.

Yes, like I said, it's a Bullseye club. Bullseye is shot from 25 yards in 5 shot strings.

It definitely has its limitations but, if you shoot Bullseye it's sufficient. Also can't beat the convenience. It's close enough that I can run over after dinner for a few hours and still be home by 8:00. Or hit it on a Sat morning and be back before the wifey notices I'm gone. [emoji6]

So, just spoke to Connie at WBPD a few hours ago... The guy who reviews the applications upstairs is away until the 18th... Apparently, nobody is there to do his job, so my permit, which i WOULD be getting in a few days, will now be delayed for 2+ more weeks.. ughhh

Hello from Hopelawn. Good luck with getting the FPID and permits. As to stores and ranges I think everyone so far has covered them well. I did come across a faily new store in Perth Amboy recently, I believe it's called Elite Firearms and Tactical. Very small place with a small selection, prices are about equal to Bullseye and the Guild, but it's in a 3.5% sales tax town and the guy there gave a little deal on my small cash purchase, so there maybe some potential there.

If you know what you want to purchase, Steve at Monmouth Arms is great.

If trying to decide what you want there is a newer range in Flemington that I think now offers rentals. Also Gun For Hire in Woodland Park rents. Heritage Guid in Easton also rents and is very nice. You may need to go with a second person as some places won't rent to single shooter unless you already own gun and bring it with you. Belief is less likely to commit suicide if with someone else. So call ahead to inquire.

Or ask forum members in your area if can meet at their range and try theirs. Most gun owners I've met are very friendly and love talking about their guns and the sport / hobby.

Welocme, be safe and enjoy!!

^True that. I live in Avenel, so i'm right by you... I have a Ruger SR1911 (1911 in .45) and just got a new to me Glock 19 Gen4, as well as a small variety of rifles.. If you want to try anything out, feel free to shoot me a message or whatever. You can tag along on a run to Range 14 and try some stuff out; just pay for your 4$/hr(iirc thats what it costs) as i already have a membership, and if you plan on shooting a fair amount then just bring your own or throw me a few bucks for ammo.

If you know what you want, Ira at Legend seems to have great prices, as does steve with monmouth arms (i believe his name is remixer on here). Both will provide great service and great prices; much cheaper than most places.

Also, it's been almost a month so you should have your permits in a week or two, i'd bet. When you get them, DO NOT be like me and run into the nearest gun shop and blow a lot of money. I went to Heritage the day i got my permits and blew like 3 grand.. I don't regret most of my purchases, but i blatantly overpaid on a 12G (280$ instead of 180$ at dicks sporting goods), and i probably would have purchased a different AR if i did some shopping around... Not 5 months later that AR is gone and i purchased a MUCH nicer rifle for a few hundred bucks less.