DirtyDigz

Cleaning guns in detached apartment garage?

Asking for a friend who's not on the forum - I'm not sure of the answer:

He lives in an apartment complex that has detached garages.  The garages are assigned to individual residents.  Each garage has an individual garage door, but there are only dividing walls every 3rd garage (essentially 3 garage doors open onto one common space, then there's a dividing wall, then the next 3 garages, etc.)

He's just getting into firearms and wants to know if he can clean his guns in the garage space that he is assigned - would walk them cased/locked from his apartment to the garage, clean in the garage and then walk them cased/locked back to his apartment.

I told him I wasn't sure - my thought is technically as long as he stays in the garage space that is assigned to him he's legal, but he should definitely keep the garage door lowered and avoid drawing any attention while cleaning.

There is a difference between a backpack and/ or some long gun cases where you can't really tell what's inside (unless you plaster logos on them), and having a gun out in the open.

I'm going to say IANAL, but I'd say legally it's a gray area. If the other people sharing the space were cool with it, it should be fine. Don't want them putting in complaints or calling the cops.

IANAL.. etc etc...

But that garage is not technically his residence, so handguns could be a problem. I don't see it as being substantially different from transporting to one of those storage facilities.  He might get jammed up if someone calls the police and when they get there, he's sitting there cleaning his Glock.

Long guns.. sure.  I think he could oil up in a Speedo and clean those on the driveway.

Not sure why he wants to use the garage space to clean.  Other than the awesome fragrance of Hoppes #9.  If that's the issue, maybe switch to MPro 7 or that Orange goop.  Non-toxic.. Doesn't smell as far as I can tell.  I clean all of my guns on the kitchen table... on a mat.

This is New Jersey. If your friend encounters the wrong resident, the wrong PO, and/or the wrong prosecutor, he could really wind up with a lot bigger problem than the smell of Hoppe's #9. In this state (depending on county) they like to arrest first and sort it out later. I wouldn't do it. Too much risk and not enough reward.

Can you hear the phone call to 911? "There's someone working on guns in the garage where I park my car!"

After I switched entirely to Frog Lube, I clean all my firearms on the kitchen counter with no ill effects, or complaints from the warden. (Especially when I'm cleaning hers.)

It works well enough too. And fast.

There is a difference between a backpack and/ or some long gun cases where you can't really tell what's inside (unless you plaster logos on them), and having a gun out in the open.

You must have missed the section of my first post that reads:

...would walk them cased/locked from his apartment to the garage, clean in the garage and then walk them cased/locked back to his apartment.

Kitchen table. What you sayin' 'bout Hoppe's? Sure beats potpourri.

My wife doesn't think it beats her scent candles.

Seriously, I'm using Frog Lube because it's worked the best for me. I'm not letting my feminine side rule.

Kitchen table. What you sayin' 'bout Hoppe's? Sure beats potpourri.

I love the smell of Hoppes.  Wasn't it called Nitro Solvent way back when? I think I still have the red Sears cleaning kit. I'll have to check.

And beats some of those scent things my wife buys at the mall.  I swear one of them has to be called "Scent of a 90 Year old Woman".  eghad.....

Yup...  the MPro7 for toxic liquid and the mat for lead.