Sign in to follow this  
wadezky

Colt match target lightweight carbine or S&W m&p sport AR?

Ok all, tomorrow is shopping day, and here are the 2 I'm looking at.  We have a brand new S&W m&p sport 2 or I can get a used Colt match target lightweight carbine in good to very good condition (per the store...sight unseen to me as of now).  Both are NJ compliant AR's and both are basically the same price.....I meant to ask if there is any discount for paying cash but I forgot so I'll do that later.  But I need opinions....given those 2 choices, what would you do??

A 3rd option is a S&W AR 15-22 for about $200 cheaper than the 2 I listed above....I didn't know if I should even consider that or not.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, but tomorrow is definitely the day I'll own one of them!

If the Colt is in good shape (bring someone who knows guns with you), that's the way to go. 

I'm hoping that it is in good shape......from everything that I know, a good colt is better than a new S&W any day.  I could be wrong, been wrong before, but that's what I think.  Plus when I move to a free state, the Colt will be easier to change back to non-evil form.

That model seem to be a pretty old model. Not only does it have no muzzle device and no way to attach one (which in NJ it would be ok), for me the carry handle would be a show stopper, even assuming it was in good shape. Determining if the rifle is in good shape is not always easy if you are not really familiar with the platform. 

If I were you I would buy the new rifle, with new rifle warranty and modern features. 

Yea actually I was reading some reviews about the seller of the Colt (Surplus City) and they don't seem to have the best reviews, especially on used guns.  So the Smith it will be, unless someone convinces me otherwise, but I've wanted the Smith as my entry level for so long that I think that's the one for me.

Technically no one "needs" and AR either ;)

I didn't say that and I'm not saying you said I said that.

I realize many in states with crappy laws like NJ feel there needs to be something on the muzzle.

I feel in the context of what the 2A says citizens should be able to own a military type firearm whether it be a musket, 03 Springfield, Garand or an AR.

Just wanted to make my stance clear.

Went with the Smith, so I'm officially in the club.

Congratulations! Welcome to a club where the dues are quite high!

You will probably get bored soon and want NEED the following:

A quad rail

Extra Magazines

Lots of ammo

A nice optic

A bipod

A sling

A rail mounted light or laser, or both!

A new grip

An upgraded stock

Etc. Etc.....

Worst of all, you will eventually find you need yet ANOTHER AR-15! And another and another..........!

Welcome to the club.