Sign in to follow this  
Lambo2936

Anyone Store Grains or the likes?

Was thinking about storing a few 5 gallon buckets of rice and oats (maybe wheat, not sure as my fiance is allergic); not hundreds of pounds like many do, as at that point i'd imagine we'd be able to just scavenge for crap and build up our supplies from what we find, but just a few buckets would be nice.. I can probably just get rice at Sams club or something, but does anyone know where to find Bulk Grain/Beans and such, other than big box stores? I'll probably get some of the 5 gallon heat sealing bag's with oxygen absorbers to store it. Also, is storing them in a shed a no-go? Would be preferred to be able to stack a few buckets full in my mothers garage and/or my shed at home. I'd imagine the heat and cold and moisture would mess it up, though; last thing i'd want is to crack a bucket open in 5 years and have it be rotten bug-infested mush.

Cool basement.

The oxygen tabs will and if sealed properly, kill any pests. ....

Rice beans pastas....salt pepper flour will keep for many years. ...but not in a to sensitive garage or shed...basement is your friend

Sugar is good too.  Can be used as a preservative as well as medicinally.

Will certainly look into all of that stuff. They make 1 gallon bag's, so i'd probably do a gallon or two of salt, sugar, pepper and such. A few 5 gallon bags of various grains, pasta, etc. Maybe some freeze dried meat from Wise foods.
I can store some in the furnace room in my mothers basement. I have no basement in my house, though. I'll try and find a spot for a few buckets, though. Maybe i can bury some in the closet. It's generally around 70 degrees all year round.
My mothers spot can get a bit humid at times, though a dehumidifier is almost running... Very poorly sealed, and its not unusual for water to come in via one of the windows that was installed below grade.. Tried a million things to stop it, and the only thing that somewhat worked is a trench to guide water during pouring, heavy rain away from the window and down hill. 

Anyhow, let me know what you think of the basement. I may be able to put a few buckets at my mothers in my old bedroom in the closet if it isn't already full of baby stuff. Or maybe a few bags in small totes under the bed.

For those interested, i found the following via an old survival forum thread on google:
https://providentliving.lds.org/self-reliance/food-storage/home-storage-center-locations-map?lang=eng

My understanding is, by appointment, anyone can go in and buy stuff. They sell pre-canned and bagged beans, wheat, etc...
If you find the page with their price list, they sell 25lb of black beans for 14.25. Another 10-15$ to bag and seal it and you've got 50lb of bagged and sealed beans for under 50$. I looked at the pleasent hill grain link you provided, midwest, and they sell a sealed bucket of beans for a bit over 140$ with shipping to NJ, that is about 42 pounds. Might be worth looking into.

If someone is interested, its not too far from me as they are in piscataway, so if anyone is near East Brunswick, Woodbridge, Newark, or maybe Ft. Dix range (when i shoot), i can make an appointment and pick up a bunch for us all and then meet up with you folks in one of the areas i mentioned, to save from us all making appointments and taking the drive.

They also have smaller pre-canned stuff. Not too much of a variety, and some of the prices aren't the greatest, but its cool to be able to buy stuff like beans in that big of a bag. Like 8$ for 25lb bags of red and white hard wheat, as well... I need to find a place with cheap oats as my fiance is gluten free... And i'll find a good deal on Gluten free Pasta to buy and seal, as well.

I have a small supply that I built up slowly. I buy dried beans and rice from Big Lots, it's cheaper there then other local places. I fill up a 5 gallon bucket over time then throw some O2 absorbers in and forget it. I recently opened a bucket I sealed 6 years ago and everything was fine.

Check your local grocery store for bulk rice and dried beans for a base price, usually in the ethnic portion of the store If you have a choice of getting 1 gal or 5 gal bags I would go with 5 - 1 gal bags. This way you can open smaller bags so the entire 5 gal aren't susceptible to air, moisture and insects. I'm not sure what you plan to use the wheat for but you can store oat flour which is gluten free though it bakes a bit different than wheat flour so make sure you work with it a bit and stock some additional binders like guar gum to replace the gluten. I like Emergency Essentials for all kinds of stuff like mylar bags, and to add freeze dried meats and vegetables and other essentials to your stock pile. Keep in mind that rice and dried beans require alot of water to hydrate properly. Good luck.

Water shouldn't be a problem, seeing as the filter i recently purchased is rated for like 13,000 gallons (Katadyn pocket filter) and is supposed to be really good.

I used a 1 day trial at sams club, and they had 10lb bags (about a gallon) of various beans, so i got (i believe) pinto, black, and lentils one bag of each and a 25lb bag of white rice. I haven't found bagged oats anywhere so i bought a box of 10lb of quick oats for something like 8$. I'd much prefer the real organic stuff that i could cut myself, but the only stuff i've found is like 115$ for a 50lb bag, which is 2-3x the price per pound. I'm not sure if the quick oats will last as long when sealed in mylar bags, though. We shall see...

Picked up a few other things like salt, sugar, black pepper, instant coffee to keep as well.

grain in new, air tight 5 gallon buckets with oxygen absorbers will last a long, long time.   Moisture content of the grain is important but if you're buying in in the supermarket, it's already dry enough.  Rice, and other grain can include moth eggs.  O2 absorbers and low moisture content prevent this becoming a problem. 

Your buckets will suck in a little and the sides will flex in as the O2 absorbers do their job.

If you store grains, like wheat, you will need a mill. I have two an manual and one that goes on my Kitchenaid. When I retire I will get a decent mill and start making bread. Better to live a lifestyle that I close to living in a collapse, than do it at the moment of collapse

I've heard good things about this place for bulk grains of all types: http://pleasanthillgrain.com/food/grains-legumes-seeds/buy-red-white-wheat-berries-for-sale-bulk

Hmm. Do they provide any added value over hitting up a restaurant supply place? For example, webstaurantstore sells 20lb boxed of black beans or kidney beans for about $30 shipped. 40lbs costs $60 there, 40lbs of black beans at pleasanthillgrains costs $134 to ship to me in NJ. 

That's a HUGE difference. 

Better off buying what you eat and building up a buffer with that first. More realistic and you are going to use it all eventaully. once you get your buffer 6-12 months or whatever your goal is then you can start putting this stuff away. Dont skip to the next level when level 1 is not maxed out. With that said LDS sites in Bridgeport or Piscataway or just follow sales at your normal places. Bulk buy places rarely have the best per unit pricing.