Sign in to follow this  
FullTimeVampire

Question about multiple addresses within NJ

Hey NJGunforums,

I have been lurking for a while and had a question about multiple addresses.  My current FPID and NJ Drivers license is the same address as my parents house.  I live at that house as well as an apartment that I rent out with my girlfriend. I pay half of everything for the apartment (rent, utlities, wi-fi), however her name is solely on the lease as I moved in after she started renting the place.  The great majority of my firearms are stored at the house I rent with my girlfriend, but as mentioned before my license and FPID are in the name of parent's house (which I also live at).

My question is how can I establish residency at the house I rent with my girlfriend when my name is not on the lease?  I do not want to change my FPID because it is a painstaking process as both houses are in NJSP barracks territory, and I do not feel as though I have to being that I live at both houses.  Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Prove to who? The Popo when your girlfriend kicks you out?

The police in the event of whatever.  I'm bugged out about having handguns at this address, when my license and FPID is at a different location and my name is not on the lease, even though I pay an equal/majority share of rent and live here.

If any of the bills (preferably utility bills) come in your name, you can use that to help establish residence, though having your name added to the lease is the best course of action. The landlord should allow the tenant's lease to be amended provided your presence doesn't violate the terms, though keep in mind that if something goes wrong you'll most likely be on the hook financially. 

But is this really necessary? You're looking at a lot of paperwork and fees (driver's license, FID, etc ) for what is potentially a non-permanent residence should the two of you decide to get a bigger apartment or buy a house. I'd leave it alone for the time being, but YMMV.

If any of the bills (preferably utility bills) come in your name, you can use that to help establish residence, though having your name added to the lease is the best course of action. The landlord should allow the tenant's lease to be amended provided your presence doesn't violate the terms, though keep in mind that if something goes wrong you'll most likely be on the hook financially. 

But is this really necessary? You're looking at a lot of paperwork and fees (driver's license, FID, etc ) for what is potentially a non-permanent residence should the two of you decide to get a bigger apartment or buy a house. I'd leave it alone for the time being, but YMMV.

Good info, and a lot to consider.  To clarify, I am a person of absolutes.  I don't like the "what-ifs" of leaving some things up to circumstance and just assuming I am in the right.  I don't want to ever end up in a position where some freak thing occurs and I am stuck trying to prove that I live here.

Good info, and a lot to consider.  To clarify, I am a person of absolutes.  I don't like the "what-ifs" of leaving some things up to circumstance and just assuming I am in the right.  I don't want to ever end up in a position where some freak thing occurs and I am stuck trying to prove that I live here.

Abstinence is the only absolute...

The police in the event of whatever.  I'm bugged out about having handguns at this address, when my license and FPID is at a different location and my name is not on the lease, even though I pay an equal/majority share of rent and live here.

I went through the same thing when my gf and I moved in together.  I called Evan Nappen's office and they told me "that my residence is where I live". So even if your FID doesn't have your gf's address on it, the guns are fine. 

Again, I'm not a lawyer.  Just relaying what one told me.  If you want to get reassurance, call a lawyer and speak to them directly.

• Like 2

Where in the law does it say that all of one's firearms must be kept in one location? You can only have one FPID, hence one address. You can have limitless residences.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

• Like 2

Hey NJGunforums,

I have been lurking for a while and had a question about multiple addresses.  My current FPID and NJ Drivers license is the same address as my parents house.  I live at that house as well as an apartment that I rent out with my girlfriend. I pay half of everything for the apartment (rent, utlities, wi-fi), however her name is solely on the lease as I moved in after she started renting the place.  The great majority of my firearms are stored at the house I rent with my girlfriend, but as mentioned before my license and FPID are in the name of parent's house (which I also live at).

My question is how can I establish residency at the house I rent with my girlfriend when my name is not on the lease?  I do not want to change my FPID because it is a painstaking process as both houses are in NJSP barracks territory, and I do not feel as though I have to being that I live at both houses.  Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Mr. Absolute, you need to spend a day with me so I can edumacate you, lol.

Wanna prove you live w/ the Girlfriend?  Have a Victoria's Secret catalog mailed to you at the apartment :) .  Or a utility bill, or a credit card bill, or, or, or....

If you were a multi-millionaire with a half-dozen homes (several located in NJ) that you maintained as a "part-time residence" you'd still be legal.  Nowhere is it written that a gun owner can't have multiple firearms of every platform type at EVERY residence for which his DNA is somewhere to be found, lol!  "Residence" means that you sleep there.  Doesn't mean you have to OWN it or RENT it, just SLEEP there.  Doesn't say anywhere that you can't have more than ONE residence.  Lots of folks own summer homes or live with family that does.  They sleep next to their "toyz" and transport them to ranges all over NJ.  In most states, once you spend 30 nights there, you're a resident with a RESIDENCE.  Doesn't say those 30 days need to be consecutive (in some states).

I'm ABSOLUTELY sure I've probably become a pain in yer ass by now, so come and spend some time with me so I can allay your fears.

I am the same way. Unfortunately in NJ there are few absolutes except you are guilty until proven innocent (which can cost you lots of money). As others have said yes you can have multiple residences. There are no explicit exemptions that allow you to transport firearms between residences (although I am sure some do) except when moving.

2C:39-6. Exemptions.
 e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.
  • Like 1

That is the problem... a lot of this law is vague is left up to the interpretation of cop and court.  What I am most concerned with is having my HD handgun at the ready and out of its safe.  With all the restrictions surrounding handguns and hollowpoints I like to be cautious about having it, and I am not sure if I am within legality if my name is not on the lease.  The longarms I am not too concerned with, but I just want to make sure I am within the law with my storage of the pistol.

Sometimes emotions hit and relationships change. If I were OP, I would have a credit card bill, utility bill, sub lease, name on the lease or atleast sub to victoria secret catalog (as suggested by S.50) .

Something other than "I was sleeping there every night but no one knows as I am a FullTimeVampire" :-).

When it comes to establishing residence, there is lot more to it than mere "I slept there for 30 days in total".  Lot of that it mere common sense.

Something tells me that a Jury wouldn't buy if a gang banger was to claim his "piece" was legal because he slept at the friends (another gang banger) house 30 days in total. 

I would NOT worry about FPID / DL address change.

Sometimes emotions hit and relationships change. If I were OP, I would have a credit card bill, utility bill, sub lease, name on the lease or atleast sub to victoria secret catalog (as suggested by S.50) .

Something other than "I was sleeping there every night but no one knows as I am a FullTimeVampire" :-).

When it comes to establishing residence, there is lot more to it than mere "I slept there for 30 days in total".  Lot of that it mere common sense.

Something tells me that a Jury wouldn't buy if a gang banger was to claim his "piece" was legal because he slept at the friends (another gang banger) house 30 days in total. 

I would NOT worry about FPID / DL address change.

LOL, that may be true but most Gang Bangers don't have legally-acquired hand guns with "Permission Slips" attached via serial number :) .

Keep in-mind as we call for more laws, more innocents get trapped.  Like the poor bastard that moves (Aitken).  We can send Bangers up-the-river with ADW, possession during a crime, possession by a felon, resisting arrest, attempted murder, etc. and throw-in hollow points during a crime for good measure.  The totality of the circumstances will determine the course the case will take or even IF any charges are made.

If a resident obeys the law and transports as they should, they can go to any exempt location in NJ from their residence, no matter how many residences they own, rent or live at like little Lord Fauntleroy.  You folks here have to wrap your heads around the fact that people with money will transport their guns to a range that is near their residence, no matter how many residences they have.  Me, I only have ONE CRIB, so I'm SOL............

^^^^ I agree with you. No debate on rich (or not) folks with multiple residences enjoying their toys and be within NJ law. 

But I would be more concerned about a relationship going sour and someone claiming that I only show up to sleep as "convenience". Now its my word against both GF and Popo.  I have seen charges of "theft and trespassing" when the GF/BF claims the other party entered "their apartment" and took stuff. 

^^^^ I agree with you. No debate on rich (or not) folks with multiple residences enjoying their toys and be within NJ law. 

But I would be more concerned about a relationship going sour and someone claiming that I only show up to sleep as "convenience". Now its my word against both GF and Popo.  I have seen charges of "theft and trespassing" when the GF/BF claims the other party entered "their apartment" and took stuff. 

^^^Agree.  Which is why I tell my friends (who will listen) to go "Old School" and write a paper check to the significant other you pay rent to (IF you're not on the lease :) )  Makes things a LOT easier to prove who was paying for what, if it should come down to that...  Last time I looked copies of bank records of cancelled checks can be entered into evidence at a hearing or used in the Discovery Process should a problem arise...  Friend of mine did what I told him and had to produce proof the stuff in the apartment was HIS and that he belonged there.  He said "how many cancelled checks do you wanna see for half the rent?" and it shed new light on the situation!

^^^Agree. Which is why I tell my friends (who will listen) to go "Old School" and write a paper check to the significant other you pay rent to (IF you're not on the lease :) ) Makes things a LOT easier to prove who was paying for what, if it should come down to that... Last time I looked copies of bank records of cancelled checks can be entered into evidence at a hearing or used in the Discovery Process should a problem arise... Friend of mine did what I told him and had to produce proof the stuff in the apartment was HIS and that he belonged there. He said "how many cancelled checks do you wanna see for half the rent?" and it shed new light on the situation!

Great example. Personally, I could never move in with a girlfriend. My wife would kill me!

Regarding the "absolutes" comment though, perhaps this article will help with the next challenge that comes up.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/thriving-ambiguity-army-special-forces-application-corporate-j-perez?forceNoSplash=true

• Like 1