Lambo2936

Think i may end up buying a G19?

Was at tanners today to pick up a 10/22. Held a shield, wasnt a big fan. G19 felt quite nice and the 15rd capacity is nice. I have to spend some time once i have my permit holding some stuff and test firing them. Hopefully the G19 doesnt disappoint.. used to my .45 Ruger SR1911 which is the only HG i currently own, but would like something i can comfortably carry.

Ill probably hit up heritage to shop around later this week. Should have permits soon, finally.

I have a G19. A Very good utilitarian gun. Glock. Enough said.

The VP9 is also in the same price range kind of. Didn't like that one. Shot it a few times. Just didnt click. 

But if i could buy a plastic 9mm again  i would pick a PPQ. Try that one before you commit to the G19. 

I used to find the PPQ flippy, but I figured out it was the grip being too slick for me and needing more aggressive stippling. Some grip tape changed its status from safe queen to a favorite shooter.

I just came in to add -

If the question is "PPQ or Glock 19" - the answer is "YES"

Get both if you can (G19 and PPQ) - I posted my impressions of the PPQ and the VP9 in my thread in the Handgun forum - the PPQ what a sweet feeling gun in the hand and WOW what an amazing trigger - VP9 is a bit bigger, same capacity, the paddle release I'm not a fan of with my small-ish hands.

Glock - reliable, simple, workhorse, aftermarket and factory support, proven.  You can't go wrong.

If you are talking about carrying out of state, the PPQ is slightly wider, longer, and taller than a G19 - not much, but as you know with carrying every little bit counts.  I'm at 5'7" and wouldn't carry anything much bigger than a G19 personally -

PPQ also comes in .45ACP and .40S&W which I may just skip the 9mm and get a G19 for that, and get the PPQ in 45 - I keep re-watching Hickok45's video and it just looks amazing :)

Full disclosure. I like Glocks. You cant go wrong with one. I however am seeing and liking a lot of these newer style polymer pistols. The Glock aftermarket can not be beat. However the out the box value leaves much to be desired unless you are going to leave it stock.. Check out the M&P, FN FNS's and the Ruger all american pistols. Great values.

Ive got teeny hands, as well, being like 5'5 with socks on, but will certainly check out the ppq. I dont think ill buy either without shooting em. May have to hit up easton heritage to try out some stuff there before i buy.

The g19 grip feels nice to me. Anything wider may be an issue.

Also, yes my hopes are that itll be my out of state carry gun as well as HD gun to replace my 1911. Signed up for the upcoming LEE exam, as well, and assuming i do well itd be nice to have a hang for my potential future duty gun. Did great on the asvab when i wanted to enlist (93) so we shall see.

Having held both, and you're a bit shorter than me but also small hands - you will love the feel of the PPQ in the hand - the mag release button is actually more reachable on the larger PPQ for me than it was on my G26 - probably that its raised more than the Glock - my Vickers extended mag release works great but that was a $15 swap out part on my Glock, I'd do the same if I got a G19 -

Don't forget the Glock Gen4 grip out of the box is the smallest you will get - Walther PPQ has a Medium backstrap out of the box (9mm) and also includes a smaller one if you need -

The Walther grip is a bit more ergonomic than Glock's - although Glock's is great - the Walther just feels nice to wrap around - and its funny like I said the PPQ is actually slightly larger than G19 in dimensions and weight but actually out of the box I had no issues with the grips -

PPQ or G19 would both be great duty guns, IMO at your size, although its true that one can conceal anything if needed, the PPQ will be harder to conceal on your frame.  But you should definitely buy both :)

Personally I've bought all my guns without shooting them first - It comes down to 4 factors for me -

1)  budget (I don't touch guns out of my price range so I don't get lured into an upsell)

2) feel in the hand/comfort of grip, (also in our case, ability to make grip feel better with smaller backstraps or grip panels if needed)

3) accessibility of mag/slide release without shifting grip much (I can't reach mine on my 1911 with my thumb even with slim grip panels)

4) trigger feel/reset

I haven't regretted any of my purchases using these factors - GL man let us know how you do!

G19 is nice, can't go wrong. I have one and love it. I just ordered a PPQ m2 from Steve at Monmouth Arms.

Welcome to the dark side now you can throw that glock in the garbage and never look back Lol!
  • Like 1

I have small hands as well, and I love my PPQ. I also have a Glock 19, but it's a Gen 2. I haven't shot the Gen 4, but definitely check it out. They're very simple to disassemble and work on.

Ill certainly update you guys. Will probably stop by tomorrow to check some stuff out as my p2p should literally be done any day now (review po is back from vacation as of monday, so shouldnt take more than a week?). Will probably stop by heritage. Id like something not so barrel flippy so id LIKE to be able to shoot stuff before i buy. While i have a 2nd permit, my next purchase will probably be something pretty for my fiance. She loved the kimber carrys the mini 1911s in 380 or whatever. May have to get her one to keep me in the clear. What are your thoughts on something like the 226? Much more money, but also a popular duty gun. Havent held it, though.

Any other suggestions of similar stuff? Not even too worried about the guns weight as much as size and capacity.

Don't get attached to the idea of the G19 or PPQ as a duty gun. Depending on where you might wind up the agency may tell you what you're carrying leaving you no option.

This.

And literally don't buy guns for your wife/fiancé/girlfriend. They will end up yours.

Get her to get her FID and when she picks something out with her own permit you can pay for it if you want to get her a gift if she is in love with it and handles it 3 times in store. Or texts you pics of it constantly like we do with our wives.

I've found all too often that women like things in pictures just to appease you and are like "yeah that's cute for me!" But then you go and buy them it they use it once at the range and it sits in the safe. 

Trust me wives would rather have you buy them a $600 purse or shoes then show up with a pocket Kimber that she can't carry anyway in NJ.  As my wife said to me yesterday "I'll shoot the guns we own, and some I like better than others, but since we're in NJ and I can't carry it with me anyway, I don't get as much out of it because its always sitting in a box or safe for the most part - my LV purse I get daily tactile pleasure" - She did say when we move out of NJ it would probably make her more into getting something "just for her" since she can actually carry it daily and it becomes an accessory.

I am debating on whether to use my last active permit right now on the 9mm PPQ or a G19 since I already have a 26. I also have a GSSF discount for next year so if I don't get a 19 now I will get it then.

I also want the PPQ in 45 lol

^I am fully aware.

The Smith MP15-22 is "Hers" too.. I got it in the pumpkin color that she liked. I still shoot the thing, and it is still obviously mine. But, if i don't have a few things she picked/likes shooting, i'll never get to go myself, haha. I won't buy a pink gun, but some of the blue Kimbers are absolutely stunning, and she liked all of the standard ones as well with the wood grips and all. I would NEVER buy anything i wouldn't personally shoot, because at the end of the day, they are MY guns, and i'm stuck with em' and buy the ammo.

^I am fully aware.

The Smith MP15-22 is "Hers" too.. I got it in the pumpkin color that she liked. I still shoot the thing, and it is still obviously mine. But, if i don't have a few things she picked/likes shooting, i'll never get to go myself, haha. I won't buy a pink gun, but some of the blue Kimbers are absolutely stunning, and she liked all of the standard ones as well with the wood grips and all. I would NEVER buy anything i wouldn't personally shoot, because at the end of the day, they are MY guns, and i'm stuck with em' and buy the ammo.

Understood - my wife wants a Tiffany Blue or Muddy Girl Camo Cerakoted G42 - or a Bond Arms Mama Bear derringer

However I've learned more often than not that what a woman likes in pictures, usually changes in person - unlike us, we usually are visually attracted first to an object.  I've also noticed ladies sometimes think they want a pocket pistol and end up liking a more fuller sized gun to absorb recoil for them -

However, get yourself something nice first :) - then you have 30 more days to debate your next purchase LOL

• Like 1

So we stopped by heritage guild for about 45 minutes today on the way to my mothers house so that i could hold some stuff and get a feel for what i might like.
The four that fit best, i believe, were Glock 19 (Gen4), HK VP9, Sig P320C, and Smith M&P 9. I held the PPQ and while nice, it seemed a bit off. I Couldn't quite get the hang of it, and, if i remember correctly i couldn't really reach the mag release without shifting my grip. Same on the P226/Mk 25, which is unfortunate.
Any +'s or -'s to the four mentioned? 3 of the 4 seem to be fairly popular with LE and what not (Not sure about the P320C).
I'd LIKE to try and find a good deal on one of the four locally which would save me from making the decision. We shall see.... Might go to easton later this week to test shoot a few.

That's funny you mention the mag release on the PPQ - you and I apparently don't have large hands but we must have different palm swells and finger lengths. I'm a Medium in motorcycle gloves.

For me, the Glock 19 (and my 26) are fine out of the box with the mag release button. No shift in grip.

The Walther PPQ M2, out of the box, actually is a bit EASIER by just a tad to hit the mag release without shifting grip. It has a Medium backstrap out of the box, unlike the Glock which out of the box has the smallest circumference for grip. Keep that in mind, the PPQ has a SMALL backstrap in the box! Maybe you need to try it.

The 320C I haven't held, but it probably fits my hands well. They come with Medium grip modules but Smalls can be had for $40

The VP9 is not applicable because of the paddle release (much easier and practical to use middle finger of shooting hand to hit it) so for us it's moot. I, however, did not really like the paddle much. Keep in mind with this one, the VP9 has small side inserts and a small backstrap in the box so you definitely can get a smaller grip with it.

No impressions on the M&P from me as I've never held or considered it. You would be happy with all 3 (and the PPQ if you try the small backstrap) in my opinion.

Steve @ Monmouth usually carries all 3, I got a PPQ from him last weekend but he should still have a G19, and a Sig 320C - if you go there, and he doesn't have a PPQ - let him know I said you can hold my gun and try the small backstrap if he doesn't have another in stock - I prob won't be able to get down there to pick it up until Saturday.

Cool i'll look up monmouth. As much as i would rather shoot before buying, 80$+ seems a bit steep. You get 40$ back if you then purchase the firearm at Heritage, but they are far from cheap. I thought i found a G19 for a decent price there and it turned out to be used.... LOL

Just a note - is Steve has sold the PPQ when you go (or doesnt have another one) but still has the PPQ 22, hold that and it will give you a pretty good idea how the regular PPQ feels in the hand.  Yes, it will be slightly lighter (slide not the same material), but the overall ergos of the grip are very similar... (would be comparable to medium back strap)

Cool i'll look up monmouth. As much as i would rather shoot before buying, 80$+ seems a bit steep. You get 40$ back if you then purchase the firearm at Heritage, but they are far from cheap. I thought i found a G19 for a decent price there and it turned out to be used.... LOL

I don't know why you keep mentioning heritage. Their prices are pretty outrageously high from what everyone tells me lol.

You don't need to shoot all. Hold all in the hand with eyes closed, which feels more natural? Try triggers on all 3. Try all 3 triggers with eyes closed. Should be able to easily tell which one you like best. All the ones you mentioned are great shooters. You'll probably end up with all of them at some point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Heritage guild gun prices suck, the easton range is actually pretty decent. My coworker did that $80 deal as he was in the same situation as you guys and even with the $40s off it was still more then any one around. He bought an m&p at Jim Flynn for like $100 less not counting the rebate. FWIW he did enjoy being able to shoot 4 guns at the same time but he quickly realized now that he is in the gun community is that a ton of people will let you try their gun

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Heritage guild gun prices suck, the easton range is actually pretty decent. My coworker did that $80 deal as he was in the same situation as you guys and even with the $40s off it was still more then any one around. He bought an m&p at Jim Flynn for like $100 less not counting the rebate. FWIW he did enjoy being able to shoot 4 guns at the same time but he quickly realized now that he is in the gun community is that a ton of people will let you try their gun

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

^This x100.  All my guns were purchased without shooting them - I haven't regretted one purchase.  However, like you said, many people will let other gun enthusiasts test drive if they are dead set on it.

Never said they had great prices;

I keep mentioning them as they are literally down the street from me, so it tends to be my go-to when i want to look at stuff, haha.
I dont intend on buying any more firearms from them, their prices are truly outrageous now that i really did some shopping around for other stuff, but, that way i get to at least hold something before purchasing it sight unseen via Ira or steve or whoever.

I'll probably just buy the first thing i find a good deal on, TBH. If i cant, i'll probably just go with the VP9 new as glocks tend to be more common for sale second hand and i can always snag a good deal on one (or one of the other 3) in the next month until my 30 days are over.

^ Check the FS ads, Plumstead in Cream Ridge has Glock 19 Gen4 for $520 no NICS - its a little ride down the turnpike, there is a nice winery in that town too that you can take the wife too (happy wife happy life) - that is about as good of a price you are going to get for new, and probably beats used as well.  I'm actually debating getting another permit, getting one from them, and next year when I get my Blue Label discount I'll add a 43 or a 17

VP9 is a great choice - get the expensive one out of the way first LOL - I really liked it when I checked it out at one of my local LGS's, but ended up with PPQ this go around -

I hate "using" stores to test guns out that you are looking to buy at other shops, but I understand especially since its right there.  For what its worth, Efinger's in Bound Brook is right by me, I probably would buy from them if they would price match other stores but they have no interest in that - which I never understood but since they aren't really a gun store its not a big deal to them to lose a gun sale.  My PPQ was $50 more there than it was buying from Steve.