7-3-2

Heading out of state

So I finally decided to make the jump from Jersey as my wife and I are currently in the process of closing on a house just outside Charlotte.

Tastes like freedom, kind of ... S.C. is a m7ch more conservative state compared to its northern neighbor but I need to be within reach of a city for work.

Seems a lot less big brother ish in comparison to NJ though, I'm also positive all of my arms will be legal there as well. It's bittersweet as NJ will always be home but man it feels good to break the chains a little.

• Like 1

So I finally decided to make the jump from Jersey as my wife and I are currently in the process of closing on a house just outside Charlotte.

Tastes like freedom, kind of ... S.C. is a m7ch more conservative state compared to its northern neighbor but I need to be within reach of a city for work.

Seems a lot less big brother ish in comparison to NJ though, I'm also positive all of my arms will be legal there as well. It's bittersweet as NJ will always be home but man it feels good to break the chains a little.

Good luck.    I'll leaving eventually, probably in that region as well.

I moved from NJ the last week of June.  Best thing I have done in a long time.  Freedom take a little getting used to, about a day or so.  I went to the courthouse to apply for my CCW and the clerk let me know it would be in the mail within a few weeks.  The circuit court judge comes around and signs off on them.  Shall issue is a beautiful thing.

Great news - the best thing about us 2A Jersey people going down there, is we will keep the south free!

Wife and I are moving outside of Raleigh, which is pretty much the hipster liberal filled metro area (as is Charlotte, and Asheville) - but the great news is that the state as a whole is worlds better than NJ - can you believe you can actually buy regular evil black rifles there without an FPID card?  Amazing!  Lol

If NC ever starts turning like NJ, we are going to Texas.

Question for you, how did you find work down there?  Or did you just pack up and figure it out later?

Congratulations OP. Enjoy. 

.....moving outside of Raleigh, which is pretty much the hipster liberal filled metro area (as is Charlotte, and Asheville) -.......

I went there couple of weeks back to look at real estate. Could be the RE guy we got, but could not find anything outside these "subdivisions" with HOA fees and rules. I opened a RE magazine in his office and big news is about how various town have these restrictions on how many chickens one can keep. $50 "license" fee, you can only keep "up to 3 hens". Really ? 

Still looking in that area though. 

I found this.....

If the house you sold was used exclusively as your principal residence within the meaning of IRS Code section 121, you would check box No. 2 on form GIT/REP-3.

"Under this section, the first $250,000 of gain on the sale of your principal residence is forgiven; $500,000 for a married couple," Kiely said. "So if you sell your home and move to Florida, you wouldn’t have to make an estimated tax payment if the home was your principal residence and you made less than $250,000 to $500,000. If you moved to Florida and then sold your principal residence home, box No. 2 would still apply."

As someone who moved out of NJ a year ago and never looked back, trust me you are making the right move. I am in Florida now and my taxes have gone up! I mean my tax stamps have gone up ;)

Good luck! the only thing I am missing is Italian bread.

• Like 1

Congratulations OP. Enjoy. 

I went there couple of weeks back to look at real estate. Could be the RE guy we got, but could not find anything outside these "subdivisions" with HOA fees and rules. I opened a RE magazine in his office and big news is about how various town have these restrictions on how many chickens one can keep. $50 "license" fee, you can only keep "up to 3 hens". Really ? 

Still looking in that area though. 

Yeah the key is to get decently outside the city - We are looking at Holly Springs/Fuquay, even as far out as Pittsboro, west of Raleigh- stay away from Cary/Apex and the Raleigh suburbs because you'll run into those HOA's more often than not- I'm sure you are aware but they are completing the "loop" which is the bypass of Rt. 40 in the next couple years, the last section is going to be south of Raleigh, I'd rather be outside the "loop" although a bit farther from the city and such it will keep me out of the encroachment of developments everywhere around you

I may also mention that one of our must haves is some property (we are working with Keller Williams) - and we aren't looking for brand new construction - if you are looking for new construction its all row homes on .2 acre lots with HOA's

I need some property and some privacy so I can go shooting in my woods without causing a stir - or maybe I'll even have a few chickens LOL

I found this.....

If the house you sold was used exclusively as your principal residence within the meaning of IRS Code section 121, you would check box No. 2 on form GIT/REP-3.

"Under this section, the first $250,000 of gain on the sale of your principal residence is forgiven; $500,000 for a married couple," Kiely said. "So if you sell your home and move to Florida, you wouldn’t have to make an estimated tax payment if the home was your principal residence and you made less than $250,000 to $500,000. If you moved to Florida and then sold your principal residence home, box No. 2 would still apply."

Just know that the tax is going to withheld from the proceeds at closing even if you don't owe it. You'll then have to file an NJ tax return the following year and then you'll get it back as a refund.

Just know that the tax is going to withheld from the proceeds at closing even if you don't owe it. You'll then have to file an NJ tax return the following year and then you'll get it back as a refund.

Interesting.

So... let's say you're downsizing to a rental townhouse in NJ.  I would assume the closing agent / town can't charge this tax.   Then would it be the case that if you stay for 1 year (arbitrary guess) you can buy a house in a free state and not care about NJ chasing you down for keeping your own money?

Great news - the best thing about us 2A Jersey people going down there, is we will keep the south free!

Wife and I are moving outside of Raleigh, which is pretty much the hipster liberal filled metro area (as is Charlotte, and Asheville) - but the great news is that the state as a whole is worlds better than NJ - can you believe you can actually buy regular evil black rifles there without an FPID card?  Amazing!  Lol

If NC ever starts turning like NJ, we are going to Texas.

Question for you, how did you find work down there?  Or did you just pack up and figure it out later?

Got lucky enough that we are both going to keep our current jobs and work remotely ... after a few months I'll start my job search out of Charlotte. I could've picked anywhere and this is a compromise between mine and my wife's preferences lol.

• Like 1

As someone who moved out of NJ a year ago and never looked back, trust me you are making the right move. I am in Florida now and my taxes have gone up! I mean my tax stamps have gone up ;)

Good luck! the only thing I am missing is Italian bread.

Sounds like the general consensus on this is a positive one ... I'm looking forward to be the guy down the road encouraging people to make the jump lol.

Got lucky enough that we are both going to keep our current jobs and work remotely ... after a few months I'll start my job search out of Charlotte. I could've picked anywhere and this is a compromise between mine and my wife's preferences lol.

Wow!  To be honest, my wife and I both can keep our jobs too and work remotely!  We are doing the same, basically once we close on our house and have the new one secured and all that, we'll give the bosses a heads up and say you can let us continue to work remotely or consider this 2 weeks notice - there is absolutely zero reason he wouldn't continue to let us work remote at least for a few months - like you, I'll probably give it a few months to get established before I start searching for something new

But I will enjoy the Jersey salary living in NC as long as I can LOL

Its going to be a bit dicey selling here and buying there almost simultaneously (we have 2 dogs and 2 house bunnies and no way i'm moving down there to rent and put my stuff in storage) but we should be able to pull it off- will be thinking of you guys, keep your fingers crossed for us!

And I no longer eat pork so I won't miss Taylor Ham lol