Last night we were transferring ammo to Plano boxes and came across one that was shorter than all the rest (see photo). No manufacturing process is 100% perfect so I would expect this from time to time, but the question is, what to do with it? My gut feeling is that it shouldn't be used, but can more experienced firearms owners here on the forum confirm or contradict that please? 

post-8682-0-33283800-1469111480_thumb.jpg

And here's why you shouldn't.

The pressure in the cartridge case is determined by many factors.

Two being the powder charge and the available amount of air in the case.

Well even if the powder charge is correct in this defective round the available air is not.

Trash it!

• Like 1

Yep - too deeply set - don't use it.

It's called "Bullet Setback"

Thank you for letting me know that is has a name. I learn something new every day. 

I recently had the same situation with 2 rounds in a box of UMC 9mm factory ammo. I would not use them if I were you.

FWIW, this one came from a 50-round box of Winchester 9mm Luger, though as I said above, I'm sure this happens with every manufacturer at some point.

I definitely won't use it. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't tossing it needlessly; I wouldn't toss a quarter in the trash, why do that with a bullet worth almost as much?

Actually, this brings up another point—is there a protocol for tossing this kind of ammo?

Edited by Cereza

FWIW, bullet setback is usually applied to a round that has been repeatedly chambered and pushed back into the case. If that's a new round it's more like too deeply seated or insufficient neck tension causing the round to move back during transit.

Call it whatever you want but don't shoot it!

If you have a shooting partner that reloads give it to them. They will know what to do.

It's true. No one reloads for very long without needing to buy a bullet puller...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By TheFace
      Hello all. I have some ammo and gear to get rid of. I'm not looking to separate the individual batches. Some are open box or partially in different packaging. I'm in the SJ area near Williamstown, but can meet up within reason. First claim, first serve. 

*SOLD* 9mm 115gr. FMJ - Herter's 400 rounds (4x100ct.) - $100 *SOLD*
      .40 S&W 180gr. FMJ - Blazer 250 rounds (5x50ct.) -$100
      .45 Auto 230gr. FMJ - Blazer 200 rounds (4x50ct) - $100
      .500 S&W 350gr. FMJ - Modern Munitions (Reman) 50 rounds (2x25ct.) -$100
      12ga. - Winchester 3", 1550 velocity, 1 ¹/⁸ oz., 3 shot 232 shells (8x25ct.+35 loose) -$150m
      9m 115gr. - Federal CHP (1X50ct.) - $30
      .22 WMR 40gr. - Speer Gold Dot (1x50ct.) - $20
      .22LR 40gr. - Blazer 1000 rounds (2x500) - $80
      .223 55gr. FMJ - Herter's 300 rounds (2X150ct.) - $150
      MEC Shell reloader - $150
      Shotgun Scabbard 26" - $20

• By SleepingInABag
      Hi all, new member here looking to offload some steel cased Tula. $1200 for 3,000 rounds total in original unopened packaging; three 1000rd cases of 20rd boxes. ($0.40/rd)
      I am in central NJ and willing to deliver within 30 miles if someone buys the lot. Otherwise will meet up if anyone wants a single case.
      Buyers must be legally able to purchase rifle ammunition in NJ.  Minimum age of 18 confirmed by DL or other government ID.
      Will send pictures with timestamp upon request.
      First to post "I'll take it" wins the sale.
    • By Henry1111
      sold
    • By Henry1111
      sold 
    • By Henry1111
      sold
    • Sorry, both are SPF.  Being picked up this week. Win M22  22 LR SPF to Ringwoodfrank.
    • Yup I see. Looks like right now you can only purchase the 2023-2024 permit still. I assume won't be able to purchase 24-25 season permit until July.
    • Just a heads-up for anyone who might also be in this situation. I joined USLS mid-April of 2022. Some time after renewing for 2023, I changed email providers, and dutifully reflected my new address on my account page. So, I have been anticipating renewal alerts at my new address, but those never arrived. I logged in to my account the other day, and was surprised to see that my subscription expired that same day. I went to my account main information page, confimed that my email address was correct, then went to the billing page, which showed my previous two payments, but which did not give me any apparent way to pay up for the new year. I requested support using the Customer Service form on the web site, but received no reply. Today I called their support number. Apparently changing the email address from my view of my account page did nothing to change the address that they use internally for billing purposes, including expiration notifications. Maybe they also use that address for replies to the support form, even if a different email address is entered there. Also, my account was set up to auto-renew and charge my credit card without my intervention, but that setting did not show on my account page in any obvious way. So, if you have USLS and have changed your email address since you last renewed, you might want to give them a call to ensure that they send renewal information to your correct address. The prospect of having legal coverage lapse while carrying in NJ was, for me, a less that confidence inspiring experience. I will note that the telephone-based customer service was excellent.
    • F*n imbeciles. They know damned well (or should) that, even if passed by the Colorado Senate and signed into law, virtually that entire load of crap is certain to fail Bruen/Heller scrutiny, and probably sooner, rather than later (SCOTUS). What a monumental waste of time (of course, how much can a dip$h*t's time be worth, anyway?) and energy. I passed through Colorado a few times in the 70s, and visited some clients there in the 80's & 90's, and, even by the end of that period, I had the impression that it was politically fairly conservative (with a few exceptions such as Aspen). WTF happened?