Sig226GuyNJ

Dems Reach New Agreement on NJ Gas Tax Hike

"The tax reductions include an increase in the earned income tax credit for the working poor, boosted income tax exemption for retirees, and a phase out of the estate tax. Those three tax cuts were previously proposed in legislation penned by Sarlo and Oroho.

The new deal also includes language permitting New Jersey motorists who earn up to $100,000 a year to deduct from their income taxes up to $500 in state gas taxes they paid. It also includes a $3,000 tax exemption for any veteran honorably discharged from active service or the National Guard."

I wonder how they plan on accounting for the $500 deduction in gas tax paid.... better start keeping your receipts...that's if you even qualify.... looks like the  middle class gets slammed again.

This is how our state leaders make it look like they are being "fair", lol

If they'd stop wasting funds, the budgets would suffice. But every year they ask for more money and get it. Now they run dry? Wonder why. Unions are to blame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...I hate this state...

You want to know why they need more money? Look at the route 18 construction in East Brunswick.

They've been working there for years changing the entrance/exit from the turnpike. If you asked me what they did, i'd have no idea other than moving a few things and cutting down some trees. And i've been driving by it 4-5 times a week, minimum..
They waste money on overpaid laborers to sit around and watch concrete dry.

You ran out of money? too damn bad. Stop wasting it.

• Like 1

Don't get me started. it's too damn hot! Remember, the 23 cents is on today's price of gas. The tax is a percentage, adjusted every quarter. Gas goes up 10 percent so does the tax.

Are you sure about that? Doesn't jive wth what I read/heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get me started. it's too damn hot!  Remember, the 23 cents is on today's price of gas.  The tax is a percentage, adjusted every quarter.  Gas goes up 10 percent so does the tax.

Are you sure about that? Doesn't jive wth what I read/heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the article,

{Brian} Murray said Friday. "They have not shared the specific details of their joint proposal with the governor beyond the vague generalities contained in their press release. The governor will review those specifics if he receives them from Senator Sweeney and Speaker Prieto. Only then can he determine if their plan to fund the TTF with an increased gas tax offers tax fairness to the people of New Jersey in the form of significant broad-based tax relief.”

Emphasis is mine. I believe it's a flat 23¢ per gallon if for no other reason than any hint of it being more than 23¢ would be political suicide with November 8th coming fast. At the moment it's nothing more than grandstanding before they go off to schmooze at the DNC. But the threat could become very real, very quickly. 

Don't get me started. it's too damn hot!  Remember, the 23 cents is on today's price of gas.  The tax is a percentage, adjusted every quarter.  Gas goes up 10 percent so does the tax.

I always though the gas tax was per gallon so if they increase it by $0.23, that means the state gets an additional $0.23 on every gallon sold, regardless of the price per gallon.

I really would not have a problem with a gas tax if every dollar could be used only for transportation infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.) AND if they would do away with tolls and pay for everything out of the gas tax.

Even if the gas tax had to increase, I believe the overall spending would be less (if it only went to roads) because the whole toll-collecting has so much overhead of wages, maintaining and billing easypass, etc.  If you pay everything from a gas tax, and you already have the collection infrastructure in place (gas stations), you fire all the toll collectors and the EZpass administrator and eliminate a significant expense.  I think, overall, it will be cheaper.

I really would not have a problem with a gas tax if every dollar could be used only for transportation infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.) AND if they would do away with tolls and pay for everything out of the gas tax.

Even if the gas tax had to increase, I believe the overall spending would be less (if it only went to roads) because the whole toll-collecting has so much overhead of wages, maintaining and billing easypass, etc.  If you pay everything from a gas tax, and you already have the collection infrastructure in place (gas stations), you fire all the toll collectors and the EZpass administrator and eliminate a significant expense.  I think, overall, it will be cheaper.

Not a bad idea, but it'd never happen; too many privately owned corps that would lose a lot of money.

Also, a lot of public roads in the US in general as well as bridges and such have investors... I think 49% of the NJ GSP is owned by investors.

So at least the previous deal lowered the sales tax, something we would all benefit from. But now it's just tax deductions for the poor and elderly. What a bunch of bullshit. If they didn't waste billions on pensions, unions, and welfare we could have the best roads in America and have money to spare. Fuck this state. It's completely lost and going down the gutter. Can't wait till next month when I go on my road trip down south in search of property. Whatever it takes I'm gonna be out of here by end of 2017

From what I just read in the article below, it seems there are a couple positives involved, including a somewhat rapid phasing out of the estate tax and considerable tax breaks for retirees/pension collectors.

http://dlvr.it/LsQmX5

looks like pensions will effectively be state tax free in a few yrs. Thats always been a factor in staying here in NJ vs a state where the pensions are already tax free like FL. I may now re-consider staying here, just need to tweek the whole 2A thing a bit first. 

looks like pensions will effectively be state tax free in a few yrs. Thats always been a factor in staying here in NJ vs a state where the pensions are already tax free like FL. I may now re-consider staying here, just need to tweek the whole 2A thing a bit first.

As soon as the dems have full control, this will be rolled back before it takes effect.

I was in FL last week and was paying $2.01, back in NJ it's running $2.05 by me. Without the new tax the savings are already gone.

Enough with the fucking petitions to Sweeney.

We need the gas tax hike. Time to start paying for things like adults instead of borrowing. The notion that raising the gas tax by reasonable amounts somehow hurts our economy is totally F.O.S. During the past few years the price of gas has been all over the place. Nobody died. The ambulances still ran. Trucks still delivered VapR cartridges. People drove to work when the price was $2.50 just like they're driving now at $2.00. 10,000 miles/year  / 25mpg = 400 gallons = $200/year for the average driver. One month's cable bill. One big family dinner at Angelo's Italian Bistro. I don't mean this personally to Sig but grow up, guys. Everybody at the Borrow-and-Spend Orgy got herpes.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but at what point do we say enough with this tax shit.  The fund is empty because like everything else in this state is is pilfered by the political pundits who manipulate the money in a  never ending shell game to get the desired result.  We are one of the highest taxed states in the nation, with the highest population densities, we should be overflowing in money, yet not only are we broke, we are one of the highest in debt.  Whose been running this state for the last 50 years, oh the Democrats, yes the Senate and Assembly have been the ruling party for much longer than the Republicans.  State bitches about oil companies' profits but makes ,more on the taxes the all the others' profits put together who supply the product.

This is another shell game.  Next year they will claim poverty again and seek to rollback the pension, and gas tax exclusions.  Who here still gets a Property Tax Rebate? Know where that comes from?  State was sued in court on how school taxes are levied, they lost. They convinced the court instead of redoing the tax program as it should have been, they would collect the money, recalculate the deduction based on the courts decision, take a cut for administrative purposes, and return the money to the tax payer by the following October.  Well look at it now.  Qualifying parameters have been reduced so less qualify, and repayment is now approaching 18 months,  We are being fleeced, nickel and dimed.  Excuse me, now 23 cents at a time, because we do not have the cahones to vote them out.

• Like 1

We need the gas tax hike. Time to start paying for things like adults instead of borrowing. The notion that raising the gas tax by reasonable amounts somehow hurts our economy is totally F.O.S. During the past few years the price of gas has been all over the place. Nobody died. The ambulances still ran. Trucks still delivered VapR cartridges. People drove to work when the price was $2.50 just like they're driving now at $2.00. 10,000 miles/year  / 25mpg = 400 gallons = $200/year for the average driver. One month's cable bill. One big family dinner at Angelo's Italian Bistro. I don't mean this personally to Sig but grow up, guys. Everybody at the Borrow-and-Spend Orgy got herpes.

Time to start paying for things like adults? I already pay more than my fair share. NJ already ranks 50 out of 50 states in highest overall taxes paid. How much more do we have to get bent over and take it in the ass because those in our state's government are either to inept or too greedy to get the job done. Just to give you a small example. Our street in being paved right now. It's not a large or long street. We received notice that the paving would be done in one day. They were to start this past Thursday at 7AM. Well, they didn't start til after 9AM. Then, they said, "Sorry, we won't be able to finish today. We'll be back tomorrow to finish". Tomorrow comes around, and they don't even bother showing up. So now we have to go through at least the weekend, driving on unpaved, uneven roads. It's the ineptitude of government that causes shit like this to happen, and causes our taxes to go up every fucking year. Maybe you're not sick of getting raped, but I am.

Do you really believe this won't have a negative effect on things? When the prices of gas goes up, so does everything else. You think the companies that delivery goods will eat the cost? Of course not. That burden falls on us as the consumer.

We need the gas tax hike. Time to start paying for things like adults instead of borrowing. The notion that raising the gas tax by reasonable amounts somehow hurts our economy is totally F.O.S.

I don't think anyone is saying we should borrow more to fix the roads. The issue is that the NJ government's answer to everything is raise taxes. As someone posted above NJ has the highest tax rate and highest population in the country. There is money coming in. The governor is unwilling to correctly prioritize that in a budget. Instead it double-downs on the waste and adds an additional tax on the people.

Time to start paying for things like adults? I already pay more than my fair share. NJ already ranks 50 out of 50 states in highest overall taxes paid. How much more do we have to get bent over and take it in the ass because those in our state's government are either to inept or too greedy to get the job done. Just to give you a small example. Our street in being paved right now. It's not a large or long street. We received notice that the paving would be done in one day. They were to start this past Thursday at 7AM. Well, they didn't start til after 9AM. Then, they said, "Sorry, we won't be able to finish today. We'll be back tomorrow to finish". Tomorrow comes around, and they don't even bother showing up. So now we have to go through at least the weekend, driving on unpaved, uneven roads. It's the ineptitude of government that causes shit like this to happen, and causes our taxes to go up every fucking year. Maybe you're not sick of getting raped, but I am.

Do you really believe this won't have a negative effect on things? When the prices of gas goes up, so does everything else. You think the companies that delivery goods will eat the cost? Of course not. That burden falls on us as the consumer.

I've lived in this state for 62 years. No lectures needed on ass-rape. Mine is as wide as the Lincoln Tunnel's. Between real estate, income, and sales taxes we pay a living wage to Trenton each year. However the waste and corruption in NJ are an entirely different issue. IF the gas tax goes toward fixing our transportation infrastructure then we most certainly need it. It has not been raised in decades. If we paid for things when the bill came due instead of deferring the pain as we now do taxpayers would realize what's going on, and maybe elect different assholes to the legislature. Borrow and spend is even worse than tax and spend because it fools people into believing that "deficits don't matter" (the 1980s mantra by which Reagan got away with massive deficits). 

Start paying for things like adults? Reasonable amounts? Google "paving roads per mile" and you will find that the national average is $162,200 per mile, the state of MA pays $675,000 per mile. they are number two. And the winner(?) is New Jersey at $2,000,000 per mile. Makes me feel proud, we're number one!  We're number one!

I've lived in this state for 62 years. No lectures needed on ass-rape. Mine is as wide as the Lincoln Tunnel's. Between real estate, income, and sales taxes we pay a living wage to Trenton each year. However the waste and corruption in NJ are an entirely different issue. IF the gas tax goes toward fixing our transportation infrastructure then we most certainly need it. It has not been raised in decades. If we paid for things when the bill came due instead of deferring the pain as we now do taxpayers would realize what's going on, and maybe elect different assholes to the legislature. Borrow and spend is even worse than tax and spend because it fools people into believing that "deficits don't matter" (the 1980s mantra by which Reagan got away with massive deficits). 

I agree that borrowing is not the solution either. But neither is continuing to tax the people and forcing them to pay for the fucking incompetence in Trenton.

• Like 2