Indianajonze

Tactical Rifle Bag for AR15 w/Pinned Stock

looking at the voodoo tactical bag, as well as the condor and 511. question is, the rifle length is fixed (thanks nj) at 35.3". will it fit into one of these in 36" size, or do i need to go to 42? i notice that none of these manufacturers give internal dimensions, and i'm fairly certain that 36" is the external length including the padding. what bags do you all run with for your fixed ARs?

My 14.5" Midlength has a pinned Magpul STR and is 33" Long... BARELY fits in my Uncle Mike's bag.  By barely i mean BARELY - I have to shove the rifle in and angle it just right...

BvaxUfd.jpg

Medium is 33"x10"

http://www.unclemikes.com/bags-cases/shotgun-rifle-cases/tatical-rifle-cases

Honestly, I would say get a 42" case - you'll have a little extra padding.

Haven't had an issue with properly sized bags myself. I now use plano hard cases though. They offer pretty darn good protection for the 70$ or so i paid for each. Downside is they are massive and therefore suck to store or transport. They don't fit with the baby in the car and therefore i have to take my truck to the range...
If you have a medium/large vehicle (car is a Kia Soul), theyd work great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00E2217I6/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Theres the amazon link. I've been purchasing them via the 'warehouse deals' whenever i can, as you save 10%+ for the box being damaged. Just make sure if you buy something from warehouse deals it states it is new and UNDAMAGED, as a lot of what they sell is scratch/ding/dent products.
Just over 60$ with taxes and all delivered to your door.. Much cheaper than a pelican but these things are fantastic and have built in keyed locks.

Only downside is, unlike a bag, once you pluck the foam you're stuck with it like that. Have one in my shed from an AR i traded for my M1a. M1a doesnt fit in the hard case, and even if it did, the foam is plucked in the shape of my Sig M400 AR... Saving it for if i  get another AR in the future.

Haven't had an issue with properly sized bags myself. I now use plano hard cases though. They offer pretty darn good protection for the 70$ or so i paid for each. Downside is they are massive and therefore suck to store or transport. They don't fit with the baby in the car and therefore i have to take my truck to the range...

If you have a medium/large vehicle (car is a Kia Soul), theyd work great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00E2217I6/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Theres the amazon link. I've been purchasing them via the 'warehouse deals' whenever i can, as you save 10%+ for the box being damaged. Just make sure if you buy something from warehouse deals it states it is new and UNDAMAGED, as a lot of what they sell is scratch/ding/dent products.

Just over 60$ with taxes and all delivered to your door.. Much cheaper than a pelican but these things are fantastic and have built in keyed locks.

Only downside is, unlike a bag, once you pluck the foam you're stuck with it like that. Have one in my shed from an AR i traded for my M1a. M1a doesnt fit in the hard case, and even if it did, the foam is plucked in the shape of my Sig M400 AR... Saving it for if i get another AR in the future.

Ya never saved the foam plucking? I keep all of it. You can put it back in and hold it in its place with a dab of glue. Once dried, all is good. There is also a company that sells replacement foam in flat, egg crate or pluck foam for most cases especially Pelican. Just google replaceable pluck foam. If I get to my desk, I'll try find the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the foam from another case, shaped like a different AR. I can probably squeeze it in there and glue it in place if i get a different firearm that fits.

If you have extra plucked foam, glue that. Not the whole foam.

Here is the folks I se for replacement foam.

http://www.foamerica.com/default.asp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a sig bag. But if anyone likes these. It's identical to mine but waaaay cheaper

http://airsoft.valken.com/tactical-gear/gun-bags/

It's a friend of mines company and I get em pretty cheap. That goes for anything else on the website. They are working on a FFL to become a online distributor. They already have real holsters and other stuff in their warehouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There is a significant difference between a well made bag and a cheap bag.

My CED range bag is now 12-14 years old and has seen countless matches, travel, being abused and beaten to crap.  I've seen many bags a third its price fail left and right.

The Safariland 2 long case I linked above is being beaten to crap hauling 3gun gear and if I dust it off it looks like new. I've seen cheap clones fall apart on the range at their first trip when they were asked to carry +50lb of gear.

If you go two the range a couple of times a year, sure, anything will do. If you plan to use your gear and drag it around a lot it is much cheaper to buy the better built bags ones, then keeping on buying cheap bags. Eventually you'll end up buying good ones anyway, and all the money you spent on cheap ones was wasted.

That is just my experience, your millage may vary.

how do you like the uncle mike's? that was another one i was looking at. from your pic it doesnt look like it has anything to tie the rifle down. it just sloshes around in there?

Explain the consequence of it sloshing around in there?  Why is that bad?

I don't know how tacticool you want to get but I use this one for my AR with a 24" barrel and fixed M16 style stock. 

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Dakota-Scoped-48-Inch/dp/B007ND0RSM/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1470995475&sr=1-3&keywords=allen+gun+case

Explain the consequence of it sloshing around in there?  Why is that bad?

It's not I suppose. I just imagine with my luck that the rifle will gravitate to the very top of the bag and the optic will be right against the zipper when it falls to the ground

Lucky Gunner had a sale on Blackhawk tactical rifle bags once, they were $9.99 each. I bought a case of 6. All my AR's fit in them.

I actually have a couple extras of those..  I think someone here wanted 'em and I ordered but they never got picked up or paid for lol... 

• Like 1