MikeL

Crossfit Games giving away Glocks to winners

Dave Castro, the Director of CF games, is a retired Navy Seal & avid gun supporter so I think it's pretty great. Obviously, all the hoplophobes are flipping shit about it. There's even a protest today at Reebok Crossfit NYC. Unfortunately, Reebok already came out and said they don't support the decision so no help for us there.

All the usual suspects are protesting today but we'll see who will actually show up in this blistering heat.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/why-is-crossfit-games-giving-out-guns-as-a-prize-arent-they-already-strong-enough-or-what?utm_source=broadlytwitterus

• Like 1

All the usual suspects are protesting today but we'll see who will actually show up in this blistering heat.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/why-is-crossfit-games-giving-out-guns-as-a-prize-arent-they-already-strong-enough-or-what?utm_source=broadlytwitterus

Angry-Cat-Meme-Good-05.jpg

...CrossFit has always openly supported MIL/ LEO and the sporting use of guns.

From day 1 we've posted things that would point to this support. We understand people will take from CrossFit what they like and leave what they do not, that is fine. The same can be done here, no one is being forced to take the gun if they do not want it.

If you have to ask why, you either own or are a member of a Crossfit studio, or haven't been weight training at gyms most of your adult life with pics of Ferrigno and Arnie from the 70s on your wall like I have been.

Are you a politician? 

I'm not sure what you mean about being sensitive, I'm about to leave sensitive person you'll ever meet. The reason I read these forms is to get people's opinions on things. I asked you why you feel so strongly negative about CrossFit. The reason I asked if you were a politician, is because you answered my question with a question and didn't answer my question. 

I don't think this conversation is translating well through text. I really am curious as to what is wrong with Crossfit because I do not know. So please educate me.

Here is good reading material - I am on board with a decent amount of what this author says.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/30/inside-the-cult-of-crossfit.html

Personally i'd rather just go to Gold's Gym with my membership dues and pump my iron and do my cardio without it being a social media experience or something I need to talk about personally at every waking second of the day like its a club instead of a part of your daily lifestyle.

I should re-phrase.

CrossFit is fine. It seems to work, and aside for the CrossFit/Gym Jones/Mark Twight kerfuffle (I am a big fan of Mark Twight) they seem to be a legit, decent enterprise.

What I, a guy that is currently stuck in a lazy and fat rut, hates about CrossFit is that most CrossFitters can't shut up about it. They are like vegans, or Navy SEALs.

I should re-phrase.

CrossFit is fine. It seems to work, and aside for the CrossFit/Gym Jones/Mark Twight kerfuffle (I am a big fan of Mark Twight) they seem to be a legit, decent enterprise.

What I, a guy that is currently stuck in a lazy and fat rut, hates about CrossFit is that most CrossFitters can't shut up about it. They are like vegans, or Navy SEALs.

I should rephrase as well to the above - just not stuck in as lazy or fat of a rut as above LOL

I will say the initial cult like status has died down, 2 summers ago I literally wanted to blow my brains out between the Facebook people all talking about Crossfit and hash-browning everything - who has that much time to post videos, IG pics, etc, while working out?  I barely have time to call my wife back.

My fb timeline is full of posts from my running, crossfit and bjj buddies. Running posts win in injuries and 'where do we meet for a run' department, BJJ posts win in meme department, Crossfit posts win 'Look what I just did'. And there is John's ASP page that is in class on its own :)

I unsubscribed boring and stupid. 

Yes, the first rule of Crossfit is never shut up about Crossfit. I will admit that i started doing Crossfit about 6 months ago and I'm a big koolaid drinker now. I actually enjoy working out.

I had heard the the competitors reacted pretty positively about the Glock giveaway and i heard a rifle manufacturer already stepped up for next year's give away though i heard this on the internet so im not sure which one it might be. Fortunately Reebok needs Crossfit alot more than Crossfit needs them.

Here is good reading material - I am on board with a decent amount of what this author says.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/30/inside-the-cult-of-crossfit.html

Personally i'd rather just go to Gold's Gym with my membership dues and pump my iron and do my cardio without it being a social media experience or something I need to talk about personally at every waking second of the day like its a club instead of a part of your daily lifestyle.

That was a pretty good article. The only negative things I picked up were how people were getting hurt from being stupid but everyone already knows that. People hurt themselves all the time doing everything from cooking and cleaning to fixing cars and moving furniture. 

I I kinda have an idea where you are coming from and as to why you feel the way you do about this thing called CrossFit, I also think I can help you with it. The first part I can relate to,,, being concerned with people hurting themselves and not using common sense and proper technique. Yes it sucks but like I said people get hurt all the time for no reason and there is nothing you or I can do about it. I love the saying "Let's just remove all the warning labels and let God sort them out" or something like that... 

The second one, and the one that I think really pisses you off is your social media thing. 

I'm guessing that you have a Facebook account? To be honest I wasn't really sure if men were allowed to have those things. If that's where the majority of your angst over CrossFit is coming from just delete that thing. I don't have any of that stuff and I get by just fine. When my friends and I want to communicate we call each other on the phone or text. If someone wants a picture of something we either text the picture or email it. I don't need three hundred fake friends that I never met and will never meet posting pictures of their cat or whatever people do on Facebook. 

I'm not trying to offend you here brother just trying to help. Here is the big one, when someone reaches a goal or accomplishs something no matter what it is you should be happy for them. I do see what your saying and it would probably annoy me too if people were fake with it but hey there are plenty of fake people in this world. Anyway my main point is, getting mad at people doing good for themselves is no way to think or live. When someone shoots better than me (fair and square) I congratulate them and I really am happy for them. That goes with anything as long as it makes them happy. When someone puts down a great weld at work, I let them know and I'll tell the Forman too that that guy is doing an awesome job. It feels good to be a cheerleader (for lack of a better word) and a motivator. If you want to break balls in a good way I'm all for that too. But, putting someone down and feeling negatively towards them for sharing their accomplishments is no way to live. 

High Exposure are you going to Old Bridge Sunday? 

• Like 3

Crossfit : the premise is good its just the execution is dangerous. Having average people doing olympic style lifts (that take years to master) for many reps in a circuit training type fashion with other exercises meant to tax the heart and lungs heavily is usually a recipe for injury. Some of the CF trainers have little training in teaching these movements properly so that leads to injury too.

I should know. I have been doing it for a few years now on and off. I can only go a few months before I tear or pull something and then I cant workout at all. I start up again for 3-5 months and another injury happens.

So now I workout alone and avoid paying the $150-200 a month that a crossfit facility charges. I still do the olympic lifts but never in a circuit training fashion. Deadlifts, cleans, snatches and squats are done in an olympic workout fashion with lower reps and adequate rest b/t sets. For the WOD circuit training portion Im only doing bodyweight only movements like burpees, leg raises, wall balls, jump rope, and box jumps. So far, that has been a good formula to avoid injury.

• Like 1

The comments on the bottom are awesome. 

I'll bet they organized that on Facebook or some other fruity website just like it. 

Where's that Paris assault truck when you need it? 

What's worse for the children, the winner of a fitness competition winning a gun that will probably stay in a glass display case at their house or a bunch of perverted freaks and child molesters putting on a show in front of a store where children are?