Sign in to follow this  
ClangClang

Flying through EWR with a pistol slide (no barrel)?

I'm flying into EWR tonight and would like to bring a pistol slide with me (checked baggage, of course).  The slide is field stripped, i.e. no barrel or guide rod.  I'm pretty sure I'm completely in the clear as it is not considered a "firearm" federally, or by NJ, but just want to make sure before I get jammed up.  I have no other guns/gun parts with me.

Any words of wisdom?

From the TSA.gov website

Firearms
  • When traveling, comply with the laws concerning posession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international governments.
  • Declare each firearm each time you present it for transport as checked baggage. Ask your airline about limitations or fees that may apply.
  • Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock.
  • Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Replica firearms, including firearm replicas that are toys, may be transported in checked baggage only.
  • Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage.

United States Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, firearm definitions includes: any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; and any destructive device. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm.

...I myself would simply toss the slide in the checked baggage and be done with it.  I wouldn't include a note, but again - that's just me.

It's not a firearm. The firearm is the frame.

From the TSA:  All firearms, ammunition and parts in checked baggage must be declared at the airline ticket counter during the check-in process

I would follow the same rules as if you were transporting a firearm just in case.... 

• Like 1

From the TSA: All firearms, ammunition and parts in checked baggage must be declared at the airline ticket counter during the check-in process

I would follow the same rules as if you were transporting a firearm just in case....

I didn't see that part. Good catch.

From the TSA:  All firearms, ammunition and parts in checked baggage must be declared at the airline ticket counter during the check-in process

So, after further searching on the world wide web...I was able to find this reference of yours.  

Apparently, there is some conflicting information coming from the TSA...

Result 1) Transporting Firearms and Ammunition (no need to declare parts)

Result 2) Prohibited Items (no need to declare parts)

Result 3) Packing Firearms and Ammunition (must declare parts)

...I'll admit, with this added knowledge I would also take the extra 10 minutes to declare the part at the counter.  

In the end...glad everything worked out for the OP.

Stick it in a box and mail it to wherever you are going, avoid the airlines all together