deerpark

How do yous guys keep your gutters clean?

Ive tried 2 or 3 different types of gutter helmets but they also require cleaning in the sense that debris tends to accumulate on top, allowing the water to run right off.

So now Ive removed everything and just gone "naked".

I live in a really woody area so its been a challenge. 

These high pressured water "hook" extensions look kinda cool but I'm wondering how they would do with leaves as opposed to just dirt and debris. 

At the end of the day, I think this might be the best/only solution:

UjCsbs6.jpg

IUYSjqR.jpg

We have a ranch with hip roofs on both ends. That equates to 265 linear feet of gutter. I was cleaning my gutters out 5-6 times a year.

Tried all the different products, many with the same results you found, the gutters don't clog, but the guards do.

Finally broke down and had LeafGuard gutters installed. Problem solved. Only issue I have now is the inside corners tend to get a build up of maple tree seed pods (helicopters). But that is usually just one time a year rand a single 5 gallon bucket.

The high pressure hook attachments can't get real messy

LeafGuard is not cheap, but it was a worthy investment for me. At the time I had it done the price was $9 a foot installed. That is complete installation with commercial size downspouts.

Note - icicles can be a nuisance with the LeafGuards.

I manage many commercial buildings.  We have lots of gutters.  I have a preventive maintenance schedule that puts people on the roof once a month to do inspections.  We use a hand held leaf blower to clear out any gutters we can do from the roof whenever it's needed. 

The rest are done from the ground with a pressure washer and long pole with a hooked end made for the purpose.  Both methods create a huge mess but we just use the same leaf blower or pressure washer to clean up the sidewalks/parking lots when we're done.

Leaf blower has been the best solution. "Gutter Guards" just didn't cut it. 

This...  Usually get up there 2 or 3 times a year and just blow them out (once in late spring after the oak strings/whirlies come down, and then in mid-autumn and then again right before winter).. 

Gutter helmet works great at my mom's house that has a few maples close to the house. I have no trees close to my house. I inspect once a year but have never cleaned my gutters out in 5 years

Was going to suggest looking into one of those gutter robots but they are discontinued.

The pressure washer with a good machine and wand would probably be easiest though they get dirty, fast... or, just buy one of the narrow scoops from home depot for cleaning gutters and do it the old school way. Probably easiest like that, anyways.

I have a terribly pitched roof on my cape. I bought a gutter cleaning kit which has 2 extension wands and a curved gutter cleaning piece for my 16 gal, 5 hp Ridgid shop vac I got from Depot 5 years ago. The gutter kit was $34 from Ridgid. Now about 3 times a year I just go around the house and suck the leaves and debris out and into my shop vac. The extension wands and a 6 foot ladder are all I need to get around my 2 story cape. What used to take me 2 hours plus cleanup and a large ladder by hand, I am able to get done in an hour and only on a 6 foot ladder at the tallest sections.

Best $34 I ever spent and such a time saver and so efficient as I just empty the vac as I go. Probably have to empty it 3 times if the gutters are really bad. With the pitch of my roof the guards won't help as water comes in at such high velocity it would end up rolling off in bad storms.

Pay someone $60 twice a year to clean them.

What town are you in? I've called 3 commercial companies and all wanted $100 for a standard colonial.

And listen to this. I swear on my mother that Ned Stevens sabotaged one of my downspouts. They would come of course mid day when I'm not home. So one year when I just couldnt get myself to fork over another $110 I had a neihbor go up there to jam the hose down. The water was not flowing freely. I threw him up a screw driver and he unhooked the second elbow down. The elbow lip was almost 75% "crimped" closed. Now how the hell did that happen!?! I Truly believe that the men knew nobidy was home so they squeezed my gutter connections tight so they would clog sooner and I'd need to call them back sooner

I go up on the roof w/ a leaf blower once every few months to clean them out.

This here too.  And I check my roof while I am up there.  In my experience this is the fastest method.  Yes, it just throws the stuff onto the ground and I need to get a rake and clean it up but it's much faster than scooping and at least I stay clean during the exercise.

Oh crap ricky i didnt know that was a thing. I should get one for my ridgid shop vac, as well... would be perfect for doing my mothers house! My ass aint goin way up to the highest level  but at least around the garage it'd work.

^^Exactly man - it works so much better - and I just buy one of those crappy filters from Depot whenever I'm cleaning gutters with it and either rinse it out, or toss it when done -

Normally I have the expensive HEPA filter on it, which gets blown out every few months when I empty it - long story short the vac is in one of our bedrooms, we have 2 house bunnies so the vac is used to clean their room daily -

Ridgid kicks major ass, that 16 gal vac sucks up anything in the gutters, and I let the rain do the rest of the rinsing out.  I need my gutters redone with 3x4 leaders and downspouts and 6" gutters because of the velocity (it runs over easily even when clean, in a huge downpour) - but at least it makes cleaning a lot easier now.

We used to always have problems with leaves and in a heavy rain the water would overflow the gutters.

Had Gutter Toppers installed by All State Gutters and we are very satisfied.

http://www.allstateguttersnj.com/gutter_topper.html

They were not inexpensive but worked very well. Only in major storms will the water overflow and only in a couple of spots. We opted for the larger size.

I've been using the above and also climbing the roof for hard to reach areas.  Make sure to wear a hat as dirt and leaves tend to go everywhere.