Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Verizon cell phone plans

For what it's worth, I finally had a moment to log into Verizon and look at my plan.

Since my devices are paid off, switching from my current plan to the new plan they are running on TV saved me $44.00/month for 2 phones.

Yes, I know Verizon changed these plans at some point earlier in the year, but I wasn't eligible to switch without penalty until June so I gave Verizon extra money for the past 8 weeks.

Anyway, line access went from $40/phone to $20/phone.  I kept the same data plan and now data rolls over month to month(you only get one months rollover though)..

If you haven't looked, you should. 

If I want to buy a new phone, they just tack the price on for 2 years at 0% interest until it's paid off or you can buy it outright.

Just a friendly heads up.  I wish I had looked earlier.

• Like 1

Wait your line access went from $40 to $20 per SMART phone? I have to double check. I switched to the new ones b/c it's more data that we need (+ rollover) but I didn't see a change in line access.

Wait your line access went from $40 to $20 per SMART phone? I have to double check. I switched to the new ones b/c it's more data that we need (+ rollover) but I didn't see a change in line access.

Yes, Smart Phone.  I also get a small discount from work that cuts the $35 to $32.20

phone.jpg

Note - when you do this, you LOSE the new every 2 year plan and any phone you purchase in the future is no longer subsidized.

I almost switched to save like $10/month but then I found out that we lose the subsidy.

$10/month for 2 phones x 24 months that's $240 savings... when we get iPhones for myself and my wife, it's not any savings.

iPhone 6 64GB is $649 unsubsidized.  I got my iPhone for $277.  Yes, I'm locked into the contract for 2 years but I'm staying with Verizon anyway.

Note - when you do this, you LOSE the new every 2 year plan and any phone you purchase in the future is no longer subsidized.

I almost switched to save like $10/month but then I found out that we lose the subsidy.

$10/month for 2 phones x 24 months that's $240 savings... when we get iPhones for myself and my wife, it's not any savings.

iPhone 6 64GB is $649 unsubsidized.  I got my iPhone for $277.  Yes, I'm locked into the contract for 2 years but I'm staying with Verizon anyway.

I get a new phone when the old phone doesn't work any longer.   I believe you can switch back to a locked plan + 2yr contract any time you want, just go buy a phone at Best Buy with a 2yr contract.

I get a new phone when the old phone doesn't work any longer.   I believe you can switch back to a locked plan + 2yr contract any time you want, just go buy a phone at Best Buy with a 2yr contract.

Not sure if that's an option anymore - not from Verizon directly.  Maybe only through Bestbuy or other retailers.

Sometimes I feel extremely lucky, sometimes I feel like I'm getting ripped off. I have the unlimited data, so I can't do any of this without losing it,  I end up paying a lot per month and I have to pay retail or buy used to upgrade, but I stream music all day at work, and watch movies, I also tether my laptop and tablet when we go away i'm usually way over 20/30 gigs at the end of the month.

I have Boost. Pay for phone upfront but I only pay $35 month for service (with auto bill pay).

I don't need or want the "latest, greatest" phone. I keep my phones for at least 2.5 years. I replace after researching and wait for sale on phone.

I've been happy with the service.

Not sure if that's an option anymore - not from Verizon directly.  Maybe only through Bestbuy or other retailers.

Yes you can buy a new phone at the 2yr contract pricing. The stipulation is that since you are signing a new 2yr agreement your line access will go back up to $40 for a smartphone. Or you have the option of keeping the $20 line access and paying off the full retail cost of the phone over 24 months with no interest. The $20 line access on the new/current plans is only for those that are not in contract. Just to clear it up ;)

Its really interesting what vz is doing. They're issuing ABS backed by these phone payments. So they're monetizing the phones and offloading the risk to investors. Plus they no longer have to subsidize the phones and they get to do it without using their balance sheet.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

I don't believe there's any subsidies other than the 0% financing that all the carriers do. It'll make a similar out of pocket as subsidized. Apple also leases iPhones.

Its really interesting what vz is doing. They're issuing ABS backed by these phone payments. So they're monetizing the phones and offloading the risk to investors. Plus they no longer have to subsidize the phones and they get to do it without using their balance sheet.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Correct, they're no longer subsidizing a phone but are lowering the monthly cost of the line access fee. Or, you can subsidize the phone and pay the standard $40 line access fee. It's not "VZ" that is doing it, they were the last to do it, it's the entire Wireless Industry doing it. At least the 4 main carriers. 

I can put it out in raw numbers instead. 

iPhone 2yr

$650 retail

$200 2yr agreement

$450 savings

Or they reduce your $40 line access to $20 line access for 24+ months (depending on how long you keep the phone, the longer the more you're saving) $480 savings.

How about the Samsung Galaxy S7

2yr agreement

$600 retail

$200 2yr price

$400 savings

Same scenario as the iPhone you're saving $480 when they do the payments over 24 months with the $20 line access fee. 

Hard to write it out and have it make sense when it's not face to face but I can clarify a bit if you have specific questions.

I don't believe there's any subsidies other than the 0% financing that all the carriers do. It'll make a similar out of pocket as subsidized. Apple also leases iPhones.

You can do a 2yr agreement at any VZW store. Just most reps will strongly suggest against it because you will be paying more in the long run...UNLESS you're on an older plan and financially it doesn't make sense to go to one of the newer plans. Without going into specifics, there's certain loyalty plans that are no longer offered where 2yr makes MUCH more sense then device payment.

EDIT: There is no lease technically. You own the phone after 24 months, with the "option" to turn it in after a year for the new model. 

You can do a 2yr agreement at any VZW store. Just most reps will strongly suggest against it because you will be paying more in the long run...UNLESS you're on an older plan and financially it doesn't make sense to go to one of the newer plans. Without going into specifics, there's certain loyalty plans that are no longer offered where 2yr makes MUCH more sense then device payment.

EDIT: There is no lease technically. You own the phone after 24 months, with the "option" to turn it in after a year for the new model. 

I still have the older plan.  Are you considering individual plans vs shared data?  I have 2 lines (mine and my wife's) so changing the savings by $20/month doesn't really relate when you factor in 2 phones, no?

I still have the older plan.  Are you considering individual plans vs shared data?  I have 2 lines (mine and my wife's) so changing the savings by $20/month doesn't really relate when you factor in 2 phones, no?

All depends on the plan honestly. 

My flip phone is so old,  it still has a dial. :xD:

Okay. Open to suggestions here.

I have five phones under the More Every Loyal TLK TXT 6MB shared plan @ $60 and $40 per phone. Two are under contract.

Should I switch to something else. This technology and choices drive me nuts. I don't like changes either, unless it benefits me substantially.

Okay. Open to suggestions here.

I have five phones under the More Every Loyal TLK TXT 6MB shared plan @ $60 and $40 per phone. Two are under contract.

Should I switch to something else. This technology and choices drive me nuts. I don't like changes either, unless it benefits me substantially.

Need a bit more info. How much data do you use out of the 6GB and the 3 that are out of contract, do they plan on needing phones any time soon and if so what/how expensive of a phone would they be looking at?